Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bike bought online doesn't match description/spec
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I bought a bike online and it was delivered yesterday, I built it up (as in attached the wheel/handlebars) and noticed that the forks are not the ones advertised on the site.

I have emailed the store and they say I can return the bike for a refund in unused condition (which it is as it was only assembled) but at my cost.

Can this be right? Why should I pay for the return delivery, that I imagine will be at least £30 for a full bike, when their site has the wrong information.

Any ideas where I stand with this?

Bregante

The seller pays. Not you. According to this:

Returning items – cooling off or breach of contract?

There is a difference between :
    1. returning an item under the cooling off period and
    2. returning an item that does not conform to the contract (e.g, it is misdescribed, not durable, breach of contract etc).

ANY item that is purchased and returned under 2 (above) is done so as a statutory right and as such the exclusions that normally apply (such as personalised items) do not apply to these. Remember, the exclusions only cover returns made under the cooling off period.

Further, when an item is returned under 2, THE SELLER, NOT YOU, PAYS THE COST OF RETURN.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?162623-Guide-to-the-Distance-Selling-Regs-and-returns

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ah brilliant I will give them a ring tomorrow as I’m not impressed at all.

br
    Free Member

Did it not have the usual ‘can differ to what is pictured’ comment?

And are the forks worse, or just different?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It’s more of a case the travel is wrong, it states a 120 fork when in reality it’s a 100.

Drac

And are the forks worse, or just different?

Doesn’t matter as he can return it saying he’s changed his mind and they have to pay.

br
    Free Member

It’s more of a case the travel is wrong, it states a 120 fork when in reality it’s a 100.

Eh? Do you mean the fork isn’t using all its travel, or something else?

Can you post up the advert?

Doesn’t matter as he can return it saying he’s changed his mind and they have to pay.

No, they only pay (the shipping) when there is a problem, not if he’s just changed his mind.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It’s advertised incorrectly as a 120mm travel for when it isn’t. It’s a 100mm travel fork.

The fork description is right the travel is wrong. If you bought some 120 recons and they sent the 100 version you wouldn’t be happy right?

glupton1976
    Free Member

No need for what was here after your edit.

sbob
    Free Member

Is the travel adjustable?

druidh
    Free Member

Not trying to be smart, but how do you know they are only 100mm?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

No it’s obviously just a mistype as the fork model and number match they just have the travel wrong. I could have got the 100mm version for less money.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Because I have since found out the model they are only come in 100mm.

I appreciate any advice here cheers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Caveat emptor

druidh
    Free Member

Cool. It’s just that the fork manufacturers sometimes come up with special “OEM” models of forks that might not have a direct equivalent in the Retail range. Fork travel, steerer material, axle type are all known to change.

Hi GW – * waves *

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Thought we’d moved away from that with the sales of goods act (you can’t guess I had to look that up right ;-))

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah to be honest with all the hassle of boxing it back up waiting in etc I may as well just keep it.

I have a sneaking suspicion I’ll be upgrading the fork pretty soon anyway.

Well that was a quick change of heart right, sorry for wasting your time and I really do appreciate the advice.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Are they one of those forks that you just remove a spacer and get the extra travel that way?

sbob
    Free Member

Definitely not one of the adjustable Recons then?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

They are Tora’s and the 302 version only state 100mm. Like I said I guess it’s just a mistype rather than anything else.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Caveat emptor

Said like a true capitalist I mean after all its not likr they sent him the wrong thing is it

druidh
    Free Member

A quick google on Tora 302 120mm comes up with several hits showing that there is, indeed, a 120mm variant.

Hi GW – * waves *

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bike bought online doesn't match description/spec’ is closed to new replies.