Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bike Bivvy – Advice please.
  • fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Can anyone shed some light on their set ups please, what to take for an overnight adventure etc?

Also how do people sleep in their sleeping bags? I have a bag which is a bit snug to be honest as I like to move about in my sleep. Also do you guys sleep with arms inside or outside the bag? There is no room for my arms and shoulders inside the bag but am unsure if I’d be warm enough sleeping with arms and shoulders exposed outside the sleeping bag. 😕

On top of this do you have the sleeping matt outside or inside the bivvy bag?

So many questions borne from a failed attempt to sleep on the lounge floor in my set up last night 🙄

Also any good websites for reference purposes etc?

Cheers in advance.

scotroutes

First of all, you need to get a bigger sleeping bag. You’ll need the full “mummy” effect in order to retain warmth. Lose that and you need a more insulated, heavier bag to make up for the heat loss.

Mat inside or out is a personal choice. Many bivvi bags are too small to have the mat inside (especially if it’s an air mat of some sort).

Answers to all your questions will be found here; http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php

dknwhy

You’ll find that opinions on setups are as personal as bike choice!

It’s worth checking out the Bear Bones Bikepacking forum. EDIT: beaten to it by Scotroutes

Personally, for bivvying i’ve tried a few bags and have settled on an Alpkit Hunka XL which gives me freedom to move about. I use the mat outside the bivvy bag.
    I use down quilts (Enlightened Equipment and Cumulus) rather than sleeping bags and sleep as I would at home in a bed! Arms in or out depending on how hot I am.

Whilst bivvying is great for that “rugged, outsdoorsy” image, most of the time I use a Lunar Solo tarp tent to protect from the elements, bugs etc.

I have a Neoair X lite mat and use either a Bear Bones meths stove or MSR Pocket Rocket gas stove with Alpkit Ti cookware.

sandwicheater

Can’t fit in your bag? You are Mr Tickle and I claim my £5.

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Very wide shoulders!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bike Bivvy – Advice please.’ is closed to new replies.