Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Bike or bike bits that should have been buried at birth
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The SID XL.

The Bianchi Super G (Coincidentally, also featuring SID XLs)

This one was pretty much buried at birth, the Alchemist.

This.

Carry on.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Anything with ‘Crank Bros’ printed on it? (see also E13 or Evil).

bikebouy
    Free Member

This made me want to vomit.. It came after the sublime Attitude too.. W.T.A.F..

irvb

The downtube – full suspension folding bike.

As an aside, I have one in my garage that I am willing to sell to the highest bidder.

teethgrinder

teethgrinder

irvb – Member
    The downtube – full suspension folding bike.

As an aside, I have one in my garage that I am willing to sell to the highest bidder.

You’d have to be high…

scaredypants

😆 and 😳 at the visor – I made one pretty much identical to that. So much better than gegs. I’ve bought a “proper” one now

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Trek press fit bb’s.

bearnecessities

Any GT LTS.

From a company that had a pretty good rep’ at making lookers, these should have been given the coat hanger treatment after conception.

irvb

Teethgrinder – it makes the Klein Mantra above it look elegant 🙂

steezysix
    Free Member

This. Only it wasn’t born, it burst out of another bike’s chest, xenomorph style…

irvb

Oh dear. I’ve got a GT LTS in the garage as well (or is it an RTS?).

Again… will sell to the highest bidder.

Both bikes belonged to my dad – a man of style and taste, except when it came to bicycles.

monkeyboyjc

Muddy fox’s 1995 attempt at full suspension:

One shock which the fork and rear suspension were linked too. Didn’t work at all and to top it off, was horrendously expensive. I don’t think they sold many (if any) as there is very limited info on them now.

irvb

I’m doing really well here. I have a Trek with a press fit BB also.

garage-dweller

Plastic brake levers.

Ridiculously short seat posts on children’s BSO’s that mean when you take your son and his mate out for (their first in the case of the friend) proper bike ride the poor friend has zero flipping hope of pedalling up a hill comfortably.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

These tyres aswell, although they seem to be back in fashion now…..

egb81
    Free Member

Yee gods, the stem on that Klein is almost as long as the top tube.

nemesis
    Free Member

Zyzxx forks. End of thread.
    https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/handlebars-saddles/the-15-worst-mountain-bike-products-ever.html/5

(FWIW, I have a Mantra. Limited and fugly but actually nothing like as bad as people think. Most of the time – riding off a step is scary as it pogos up and kicks you in the arse)

Bullet

The Raleigh Activator!

chestrockwell

The GT RTS mentioned above was actually a looker and a trail blazer.

Northwind

There’s things in here that I love, though admittedly maybe only because I never used them and never will.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Front mechs

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Re Klein Mantra – unbelievably Klein made a rigid version called a Karma Pave – – there is a shop that still has one for sale – reduced from $7999 to only S1699
    http://budgetbicyclectr.com/1999-klein-karma-pave-bicycle.html

It’s not a looker.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

That GT looks awesome.

Nothing about these were good. I still have scar tissue on my ball-sack having shifted when meaning to brake and smashing them on the stem.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll also add this.. Ok, so not quite on the Mantra scale of Vom but I bought one of these with a grin wider than the Cookie Monster upon finding the McVities factory.

I rode the C2C (old Mtb route) with two mates, and I got off it at the end and vowed I’d never ever ride suspension again (and never have) luckily I got my mate drunk (very) and sold it to him whilst sitting in the Delaval Arms in Whitley Bay having finished the ride.

Bloody shite on many levels.

nuke

These…

matt_outandabout

I steered right, the front wheel went wherever it fancied at the time.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Slept on it; these aswell

matt_outandabout

Nominated because of the pain it dished out to my ar*e for three months until I finally bought a different saddle…

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    Nominated because of the pain it dished out to my ar*e for three months until I finally bought a different saddle…

I had the red one on my 1999 Clockwork for year! Went onto my P7 after that. It finally wore way about 2010.

Cheers, Steve

mechanicaldope

Bullet – Member
    The Raleigh Activator!

That was my first mtb! A little heavy and not convinced the suspension actually did anything. Got it nicked off me along with my dad’s Raleigh Amazon (which my mate borrowed off him) when we got mugged by some bigger boys.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Square taper bottom brackets are the most wretched cycling object ever.

I still have scar tissue on my ball-sack having shifted when meaning to brake and smashing them on the stem

You brake with your ball-sack?! Kudos, that’s nuts

Harry_the_Spider

That visor in the OP 😯 . Taking a “header” could make a right mess of your face.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Square taper bottom brackets are the most wretched cycling object ever.

Yeah bloody components that last for ever.

I have a 1973 lambert road frame and death fork. Now there is a bike that probably should have been put in a sack and chucked in the river.

chestrockwell

What’s wrong with the crud claw, square taper or front mechs?

jamesoz

The square taper crank only exists in 3 different states
    1. Seized in place for ever and silent
    2. Creaky
    3. Works loose once, throw crank in bin.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If we had got rid of front mechs years ago gear tech would have advanced a lot faster.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Specialized Cobble Gobbler seatpost.

DezB
    Free Member

If there had been no front mech in 2006, I might’ve kept my Dual Control… the rear was good.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Bike or bike bits that should have been buried at birth’ is closed to new replies.