Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bike bags in the back of cars
  • Spud

Pondering about whether a bike back would fit flat in my car. How do you chaps carry them? It would be on top of loads of other stuff. I know I should measure it but are they just too enormous when filled with a FS?

gusamc
    Free Member

Pug 306 hatch
    Used to leave rear seat back up, removed 'seat base', shower curtain on seats etc, Myka 13" both wheels out across seat, Orange 5 16" rear wheel in, across – just, boot free and clean for luggage, one rear footwell free, ditto, be a lot easier with one bike.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i used to get a bike bag in the back of my fiesta. works well and keeps the car clean. that was with a road bike in though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iain1775
    Free Member

my bike bag (dhb or whatever they are called from Wiggle) is huge and only just fits in my focus sized car
    to be honest its not worth the hassle for normal journeys
    the bag easily swallows the bike though, in fact Ive had mine and the other halfs hybrid (with mudguards) inside it together

Spud

I'm thinking in the bag with all the gear for a week's family hols in Germany, so would need to keep it in a bag ideally for piece of mind whilst driving. Security isn't an issue as we're not overnighting other than on the ferry.

andy7t2
    Free Member

bike bag should fit in

how many's in the family if it's just the two no problem

Spud

Four! 2 anklebiters in the back, bags etc in the boot too. I think I could do with finding someone with one and seeing if it will go.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

My NeilPryde fits in an '03 Fiesta with the seats down. It's very snug but it does go in.

scruzer
    Free Member

Had 2 Neil Prydes w/roadbikes in focus hatchback with seats down. Layed down one on top of other. Remember to pack loads of gear in with bike

takisawa2

What about a roof-box ?
    If your flying off somewhere & airport parking, stash inside with seats down.

P20

I've used a safe bag in the octavia for a year now, superb bit of kit. It's swallowed both bikes, camping kit, walking kit and camera kit and you can't tell what's inside. It keeps the car nice and clean too. Not cheap though, think I paid about £80.
    Clicky Linky Thing

IA

Hang on, 4 people in the car, plus stuff and you want to fit a bike in a bag too? No chance.

Can you fit the bike in the car with all the seats up even without a bag*? What's the car?

*I could do this in my old mondeo, and in my berlingo but they both have cavernous boots. And neither would work with the bike in a bag.

ross980
    Free Member

I've got a DHB one too. My large FS stumpjumper just about fits in the bag with both wheels removed (3" of handlebar protrude). The bag fits in my Golf, but only with the rear seats folded flat. You might be ok if you have a large estate car or a people carrier though. It's all a bit of faff though tbh, I'm going to get some roof bars and a Thule carrier (also, muddy carpark = muddy bag =muddy car).

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Can you fit the bike in the car with all the seats up even without a bag*? What's the car?

I can in mine, have managed three bikes in bags + riders for said bikes with seats up, or five bikes & five people if stacked carefully not in bags.
    Car is a Toyota Landcruiser though

molgrips
    Free Member

I use a bike bag to get my bike to work for the week. It goes across the back seats, leaving the boot free for luggage. The same bag even used to fit across the seats in my old MkII Polo, remarkably.

Having read the OP's elucidation – four people + bike + kit = bike rack, I'm afraid.

aracer
    Free Member

On the contrary, I've taken our family of 2+2 away for a week's holiday with a bike sitting on top of other stuff in the boot – including a pushchair and lots of my other kit (kayaking stuff etc.) underneath. Scooter and Cnoc 14 on the backseat with the kids. Loaded in on it's own mind you – far easier to get in that way than in a bag – and I do have a big 406 estate. Why exactly do you feel the need to have it in a bag?

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I used to use a bike bag but got sick of taking the bars on and off.
    I just remove wheels, and put the bike across the rear seats. Cover rear seats with plastic sheet.
    Thats a DH rig by the way, and fits in my mates fiesta.

spooky_b329

We have the big DHB soft bags, in our Mondeo estate they would lie flat in the back with seats down, they would take up the full width of the car and about a foot of clear space lengthwise.

Changed to a Fiat Punto, for the last year we never even bothered trying to get the bags in the car, but last weekend we wanted to leave the bikes in a travelodge whilst we went out for the evening, took bikes up in car with bags folded on top. In the morning I thought I'd try and get the backs in for a chuckle…first one went in find, second needed twisting slightly to clear the rear glass. Amazed!

Spud…the only way you might manage it is to get a soft bike bag, fold it as best as you can and then pack the car with everything. When you arrive and unpack you can then put the bike in the bag for the hotel room.

shortcut

For in the back of the car you cannot go wrong with the very soft bags may by Groundeffect. I have a couple of their bodybags and they are ideal for car travel with the bikes.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bike bags in the back of cars’ is closed to new replies.