Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike Bag Travel- what can you carry in it apart from the obvious?
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

Just packed up my bike bag before departure tomorrow- my OH is stressing out saying that I cannot put other bits in there, JUST my bike.

Have others put bike backpack, track pump etc in with their bike when travelling?

I am under the impression, bike related stuff is OK? as long as it is under the 30kg limit.

mikey74
    Free Member

I usually put body armour, bike shoes, camelbak, bike spares etc. The only issue I’ve ever had was at Vancouver airport, which is the only airport I’ve ever been to that asks me to open the bag so they can inspect inside. On this occasion, they told me I couldn’t take a can of Fork Juice. Everything else was fine.

stumpy01

Whenever I’ve done it, I’ve put loads in the bike bag….

Tub of energy powder
    Knee/elbow pads
    Tools
    Tubes

Used back pack as hand luggage, but would probably put that in if I didn’t.

But, it was always a bit of a risk as I think some airlines say it should only bee the bike…

Onzadog
    Free Member

In theory, bike only according to the airline. But it’s not the airline who scan the oversized bags. I normally have camelbak and tools/spares in there. No one has ever check or challenged yet.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I may risk it and plead ignorance, as it is not clear on the site. Mikey- It is Vancouver I am travelling to! 😯

mikey74
    Free Member

I may risk it and plead ignorance, as it is not clear on the site. Mikey- It is Vancouver I am travelling to!

I wouldn’t worry about it: They were only interested in stuff that could cause a fire or explosion. Plus, they were so thorough they made me leave the fork juice behind but completely missed the large tub of bike grease and chain oil :mrgreen:

I had shoes, tools, camelbak etc in there and they didn’t bat an eyelid.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nobody really checks just keep it in the limits.

johnnystorm

I cram everything in there that I don’t need on the plane. Just going through Calgary now where they wanted to look inside, which was fine as the connecting flight from phoenix seems to have ripped all the tape off the box anyway. Nice fella in security let me go mad with his security tape sticking it all backgrounds together.

stewartc
    Free Member

The minimum should be the tools needed to reassemble the bike but I typically throw in armor, shoes and the backpack, especially on the way back when these are usually honking.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bike Bag Travel- what can you carry in it apart from the obvious?’ is closed to new replies.