Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bike Bag Question
  • marmaduked
    Free Member

Looking for a bag to take a bike (full suss, 650b wheels) on a plane. Any good ones out there, that don’t weigh a ton and offer enough protection for occassionally taking a road bike instead? Oh and if it folds down for easy storage that would be nice…

Or should i just use a cardboard box and set fire to it after I’ve finished!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Cardboard box does fine. After all that is what they come in to the lbs all the way from China. If a cardboard box is good enough for a £9k nomad then you’ll be good.

marmaduked
    Free Member

Cool, thats the way I’m leaning…

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Evoc are very good and you have to do much less disassembly to make the bike go in and they are very easy to wheel round an airport . Not a cheap choice but if you are going to be using it a few times then. It’s a lot better than a cardboard bike box , especially if it’s raining .

Fat-boy-fat

+1 for Evoc. My one (the pro version) came with a road bike fork adapter as well. It is spend but that’s about 10 years of travelling with Evoc bags and not one bike damages yet (touch wood).

Kuco

Got an Evoc bike bag this year to replace my old worn out Planet X bag, pricey but happy with it. Also purchased the EVOC bike stand to go in it to hold the frame and forks better. A few hundred quid all in but when it’s protecting a few thousand £ worth of bike it seemed like a worthwhile investment.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wobbliscott – Member
    Cardboard box does fine. After all that is what they come in to the lbs all the way from China. If a cardboard box is good enough for a £9k nomad then you’ll be good.

Having unpacked a few the amount of extra protection that is added to make a cardboard box OK is huge. After they have been opened and repacked they tend to be less rigid too, that’s before it gets wet….. On top of that they will be packed into a container not shoved into a baggage hold. So apart from that all the same….
    Evoc for the last 4 years, 10-15 flights per year and it’s been perfect for the mtb and road bike and way easier to get around an airport than a cardboard box.

Trekster

3 of us bought the current CRC bag this year, took my large RM easily. Has supports for front and rear axles(comes with spacers). As per reviews it does tend to tip over when carrying/dragging it, solved this by using a belt looped between the 2 carry handles at the “dragging” end

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bike Bag Question’ is closed to new replies.