• This topic has 21 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by MS.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bike and bits on Easyjet – explain!
  • nicko74

I've pretty much decided to take the Soda out to Murcia for a few days in November, flying with Easyjet. I get that it's £18.50 each way for the bike, and the bike in bag/ box has to be under 32kgs. Obviously the pedals are coming off, wheels out (rotors off to avoid bending?); I'm also taking a camelbak, various tools and pumps, helmet, lube etc.

Apart from the helmet, which I reckon I'll take as hand luggage, can I just check the rest of the gear into the bike bag? I read something about the bike bag/ box 'must contain only a bike', but would camelbak, gloves, tools etc be fine? If I have to take another checked bag, I'm guessing I need to pay for that extra hold bag as well?

There are details on the easyjet site, but it's just massively confusing…

cp

my understanding is that you pay for extra bags seperatley from the bike – the bike is effectively an extra. I wouldn't have thought it would be the end of the world to chuck a few bits and pieces in with the bike, though with easyjet you get quite a large hand luggage allowance don't you? So you could take a fair sized carry on with some stuff and non-biking gear in? Try just strapping the helmet to the outside of your carry-on, rather than putting it in.

uplink
    Free Member

It really does depend

You may get away with other kit in the bag – you may not, it totally depends on whether or not the check-in staff know the detail of the rules or not

Because bikes are exempt from excess baggage charges [up to 32kg] they don't like you using the bike bag to carry kit that would normally incur a charge [can't really blame them for that], so try to hide it well 🙂

nigew
    Free Member

When ive flown with them i just put the bike in the bag, as already said you get a big allowance on hold luggage, 20kg? for £8?
    Some of my fellow travellers put camelbacks and pads in theirs though, no clothes, and nothing was said.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Just be carefull with weight, your TOTAL baggage allowance is 32Kg.

Paying for a bike gives you an extra 12.5Kg on top of your normal allowance, so you cant go over the 32kg.

If you do, get your wallet out as they do not take any prisoners and will charge you for 1kg over !!

uplink
    Free Member

Just be carefull with weight, your TOTAL baggage allowance is 32Kg.

Paying for a bike gives you an extra 12.5Kg on top of your normal allowance, so you cant go over the 32kg.

If you do, get your wallet out as they do not take any prisoners and will charge you for 1kg over !!

That's not the case – I haven't got the time to go through all the regs again – but read this thread

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tools-in-handluggae-on-easyjet/page/2

tragically1969
    Free Member

It is the case, rad the easyjet site, its all there and i have fallen foul of it before:

From easyjet site:

Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs. Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges will apply.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Easyjet when challenged at the check in will let you take 32kgs for your bike, & 20kgs normal hand baggage…

tragically1969
    Free Member

Yeah just read the stuff from the other thread, interesting, see what happens when i fly in a few weeks !!

I got charged £120 in total when i flew a few years back for excess baggage !!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I got charged £120 in total when i flew a few years back for excess baggage !!

😳

Thats why I like BMI Baby, a flat rate of £15 each way for your bike, no dramas at all…

uplink
    Free Member

@tragically1969

Also from the Easyjet site

Passengers travelling with bicycles are recommended to check-in 2 hours prior to departure. Bicycles are subject to the sports equipment fee and exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle.

You have to point it out to them as they don't usually know it themselves [check-in staff]
    If you just stand there & bend over for them, they'll duly oblige you

kempfab
    Free Member

I rocked up with a 32kg bike box, and 20kg suitcase, four times.

3 of them, no problem, one of them 20kg excess baggage charge, at £6/kilo…

I said this was wrong, but they would not let me fly without paying. Easyjet staff don't understand their own rules, so how should we?

Good luck!

tragically1969
    Free Member

uplink

Yeah cheers, just read it, thanks for the pointers, its already printed off and ready to go, no need to weigh anything !!

I suspect that the limits are set by the FAA for the carriage of luggage but as usual the budgets try and **** everybody where they can !!

yoshimi

What uplink says is correct IME

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The weight limit is a H&S measure, single persons are not allowed to carry more than 32kgs in case they **** their back..

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

uplink is right, but kempfab hit the nail on the head. Sleazyjet staff dont know their own rules so you'd do well to turn up with full T+C's printed out, and relevant paragraph Uplink pointed out highlighted.

And be polite, youve seen the sh1t they put up with on Airline, if you get angry/upset/sarky they WILL win the argument, regardless of the T+Cs its their 'plane!

scruff
    Free Member

Passengers travelling with bicycles are recommended to check-in 2 hours prior to departure. Bicycles are subject to the sports equipment fee and exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle.

So weight of cycle is irreleavnt up to 32kgs?

thats great in theory but what if they tell you your not getting on the flight unless you pay extra per K ?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Scruff- Yes.

tragically1969
    Free Member

thats great in theory but what if they tell you your not getting on the flight unless you pay extra per K ?

Well in theory they shouldnt be able to as it will be against the terms of your booking….again in theory !!

uplink
    Free Member

Look on the other thread [linked]

People have had refunds when they've been over-charged

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Wonder if any EasyJet checkin "people" have ever had an argument with a bikebag carrying passenger and opened up the bike bag to discover 'extra' items that they've promptly charged them excess baggage for?!

MS
    Free Member

Never had a problem last year.

Bike bag with bike, some spares, shoes etc. Had main bag full of clothes. Checked in the main bag then went to oversize baggage bit with bike bag and just went straight through.

All 8 of us and some had real heavy bags!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bike and bits on Easyjet – explain!’ is closed to new replies.