Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • BigUn and spokes.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Does anybody know where I can get a rear wheel built from a Big Un hub and a XM521 rim? Short DT Comp or Sapim spokes seem impossible to find. I’ve tried Freeborn in Esher, rung Merlin and spoken to Birdie Bikes too. No joy. Anybody?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edinburgh bike co op did mine – but they didn’t put enough tension in the spokes

Hairychested
    Free Member

Cheers, it doesn’t sound like a wholehearted recommendation really.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t think the spokes are that rare. Certainly when I phoned around it seemed not too hard to get. Some folk have had very good results from EBC. The issue was it was on the tandem where you need super tight spokes otherwise they loosen off due tot eh extra weight.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Cheers, TJ.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s not a difficult build, just a bit fiddly.

You might have to buy a box of 100 spokes, can’t see it being any worse than that.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Al, 2 boxes and that’s around £200 these days. Too expensive for my liking.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wheelcraft?

cynic-al
    Free Member

£1 a spoke? Rip off, unles I am in a time warp. Bicycle Works chrged 50p each for competition only a few years ago.

And you CAN use the same length for both sides though some builders won’t like it.

Is there really a benefit to big uns that you need?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

What is a XM521 rim? I can see it on the Mavic site. If you mean the EN521 what on earth is the point of running a heavy Downhill hub on a medium weight endro/am rim?

The only reason for bigun’s is to run them on a DH / DJ rim to build an incredibly strong wheel (due to short spoke length) that your never going to break.

I have them on old style D321 (- now 729’s) on my DH bike and they’ve had to be trued once in the last 5 years. I didnt even loose a spoke in canada.

To run a heavy hub with short spoke on a lighter weight rim seems counter-intuitive?

joemarshall
    Free Member

Find someone who sells boxes of spokes rather than individual spokes, £100 for a box of 100 spokes is not right.

How big is the difference in length on the two sides? Usually you can get away with about 2mm or so out.

Or just use plain gauge DT spokes from Chain Reaction. I’ve had to do that with small wheels before, and the wheels seem fine. They do em in pretty much any length.

Joe

STATO
    Free Member

How short do you need? a quick look at the dt swiss spoke calc thing shows the spoke lengths to be pretty much the same as a normal hope hub (or is it rim very tall?)

I got a bunch of spokes for my last wheelbuild off eBay, 100 for under £20, bargain.

simondbarnes

£1 a spoke? Rip off, unles I am in a time warp. Bicycle Works chrged 50p each for competition only a few years ago.

You appear to be in a timewarp. The retail price for black DT Comp spokes is now £1.24

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC black are priced as revolution – 50% more than competition?

simondbarnes

Black revolutions appear to be slightly cheaper (£1.15ea) than black comps now which is slightly bonkers.

coatesy
    Free Member

We should have spokes that’ll do the job at Sunset 02920371321, if you’re still stuck give me a call tomorrow when i’m back in.(assuming you want silver spokes, think I may have black too, but unsure)

Hairychested
    Free Member

Guys, I already have the hub, the rim too (right, it’s not XM but EN521), bike without a rear wheel and a collection of 5-bolt rotors. If no joy with Cyclopedia in Surbiton I’ll call Coatsey at Sunset tomorrow. Cheers!

paule
    Free Member

36 spokes in pretty much any lenght between 224 and 268 are less than £20 on chainreaction…. They look like they’ve got DT comp in stock.

Not too bad to lace them yourself actually – have a go!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Paul, you’re right, but where do I find out the required spoke length? And what about those 12/14mm nipples from CRC?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is a link to a spoke calculator on the hope site

Hairychested
    Free Member

Can’t find it.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Sadly no EN521 there (should I try EN321?).

RudeBoy
    Free Member

How TF can spokes be £1.24??????? That’s taking the piss! Last spokes I bought, DT Revs, were about 65p each. Only 3 or 4 years ago. Tell me spokes jolly well have not doubled in price?

simon1975

Revs 90p each

Hairychested
    Free Member

Aren’t revs for gentle (read: proper) XC only? I have a BigUn and a EN521 to lace up potentially.

Hairychested
    Free Member

And what length?

simon1975

Using the DT calculator with a Hope BigUn hub and Mavic EN521 rim with 32 holes and an ERD of 532mm the spokes come out as 254 and 256mm for a 3-cross pattern – as these lengths are so close you’ll get away with all spokes the same length on both sides.

Please just double check that ERD for the rim which I got from a retailer not Mavic.

Yes Rev’s are lightweight but strong IMO. I posted the price for those as they’re the most expensive spokes I’d buy. Competitions are cheaper and have greater strength on paper (I think) but don’t allow as much flex in the wheel, which could result in more failures… Depends on your riding style and quality of wheel build – the only revs I’ve broken were soon after I built my first rear wheel with inadequate tension (been fine since tightening even with some major rim pranging).

cynic-al
    Free Member

no way do revs make a stronger wheel tan comps.

OP, line up the rim with one with a known ERD and compare them.

paule
    Free Member

revolutions are 50p each on CRC (£18 for 36) but there’s no way I’d build that kind of wheel with them…. What’s the point of saving the odd 50g or so, when you’re using Biguns?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Right, can I use just one length of spokes or do I nees two? If two, 252 is easy, but the other side? 254 or 256? They use 14mm nipples BTW.

Clearer view is here.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Ignore it, got permission for a new wheel – Hope XC/en521/revs 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘BigUn and spokes.’ is closed to new replies.