Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Biggish tyres that are good in mud?
  • poppa
    Free Member

I normally ride Kenda Nevegal 2.1" tyres but for the dry weeks in summer I tried Kenda Small Block 8 2.35" tyres and loved it – great grip and nice shock absorption.

I would like to try similar sized tyres for 'all round' use but was under the impression that wide tyres are a bit pants for mud. Are there any tyres this size (e.g. Kenda 2.35", Maxxis HR 2.5") that perform well in mud without being overly draggy or heavy?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The one, the only, maxxis swampthing.

poppa
    Free Member

Maxxis Swampthing – Weight 1180g
    Kenda SB 8 – Weight 646g

Might be a bit too much of a jump in weight for me…

fozzybear
    Free Member

could try a bonty ACX
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Bontrager-Jones-Acx-Tubeless-Ready_22535.htm
    come in 2.2 and 2.35 flavours based on the bonty mudx but a bit better rolling

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

they're not all that heavt theres quite a few different sizes and different ply casings.

MrAgreeable

Swampdonkeys FTW. That weight must be for the dual ply version, get the single ply. The Super Tacky version is great on rocks and roots too.

tinsy
    Free Member

poppa, rekon your looking for something that (almost) doesnt exist XC weight, fat mud tyres, if its really for just soft ground why are you looking at such big tyres?

I swear by swampthings in 2.1 for the winter at 600g they are in the right ballpark weight wise but are increasingly difficult to find in that size, and it come up pretty skinny.

poppa
    Free Member

Hmm yeah, I had a feeling I wanted the moon on a stick. I just loved the way the SB8's felt.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Biggish tyres that are good in mud?’ is closed to new replies.