Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Bigging up your kit
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Why do folk do this?

"I have an Orange 5 and it's the best trail bike out there" despite not having ridden any others apart fromhis last choice which was, at that time "the best trail bike out there"

"King hubs are the best there is" despite obvious negatives.

"Hope brakes are superior to all others" despite numerous reported problems.

Can't folk just accept that they like what they own without ramming their choices down others' throats?

convert

I agree to an extend – there is a difference between a "I own a xxx and have liked the performance and have had no issues" to a "xxx is so cool it hurts – you would be a minger to buy owt else" type response. I think a qualifying "I've also owned/tried/used xxx, xxx and xxx" or "I have no other relevant experience to compare it against" is very helpful.

Nothing wrong with a qualified recommendation of what you have bought, given that you probably did a hefty bit of research in coming to your decision and provided it has lived up to expectations. A few more "I bought xxx and it sucks" or "now that xxx is available I would probably have got that instead"s would give a greater level of honesty though. There is probably a human element of needing to confirm your obscene purchase to yourself was worthwhile and should not have been used to put clothes on the kids etc!

oldgit
    Free Member

I do know what you mean.

jam-bo

My five is one of the best bikes I've ever owned

Hope brakes suck balls.

Anything by Chris king is overpriced tat.

Happy to help.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I reckon my valve caps (red anodized Mowa's) are the best you can get 😉

Seriously though, we all like to justify what we buy, especially if it's expensive but nothing is perfect – ever. And biking is definitely a sport/hobby where bigger money doesn't always get you better kit.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

i think im the opposite, i know all my kit isnt great and i like to make sure people realise im aware of this. The only part on my bike that can possibly be considered the "best XXX part ever" is my XTR spds which i got for £30.

jahwomble
    Free Member

My deore rear mech and alivio shifters are my blingest bits. My bike works fine,It's had the mechs set up properly, shifts perfectly, brakes more than adaquately etc. I ilke it. I get a lot of fun out of it.

It's probably cost me £300 if that. I could go out and spend a couple of grand and probably not enjoy riding anymore than I do now. I like to think of the extra weight as resistance training.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hope brakes suck balls.

This is absolutely categorically not true.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I know my kit is the best kit there is, because I chose it and my wisdom and judgement are considerably superior to other people's. HTH. 🙂

Hope brakes do suck balls. I read as much on the internet, which is why I don't have any.

rootes1

ok – I Bought a Singular Swift – it is a great bike, it got me back into mtb'ing – I run it rigid…

i have done quite a few demo days on full sus XC bikes

– full sus is just better…

most are more comfortable, lighter, pedal sitting down etc etc..

now if giant would just hurry up and get the 29er Anthems out… i know it will be a better bike than the Swift, love it as i do.

Junkyard
    Free Member

people asking for opinions given one by someone on STW … I just cant believe that sort of thing goes on here 🙄

rootes1

"talk to be about…….."

Jamie
    Free Member

rootes1:
    "talk to be about…….."

Eh?

loddrik
    Free Member

I can never quite understand when people take offence when others are critical of bikes or stuff they have bought. It is just stuff ffs, it isn't like you are directly abusing their nearest and dearest.

theflatboy
    Free Member

jahwomble – Member

It's probably cost me £300 if that. I could go out and spend a couple of grand and probably not enjoy riding anymore than I do now.

you'd be surprised.

rootes1

rootes1:
    "talk to be about…….."
    Eh?

would help if I had written 'be'

but was a ref to those bods that start threads off with 'talk to me about…' such a vague way of getting an opinion… not that such opinions are normally worth owt..

base your opinions on your own experiences is best suppose it is ok to offer your opinions and people can do what they want with them, as long as opinions are based on actual experiences

jam-bo

molgrips – Member
    Hope brakes suck balls.
    This is absolutely categorically not true.

your right, that would make them useful…

wwaswas

base your opinions on your own experiences is best.

I think that's exactly the reverse of what this thread is trying to say?

Basing an opinion on a (possibly biased as they've spent lots of money and want to justify it to themselves) sample of one is never a good basis for balance.

jahwomble
    Free Member

"you'd be surprised."

Nah, had more expensive bikes, enjoyed owning them more, but not riding them more:) I don't have to get stressed about scratches/dings leaving them chained up outside Morrson's/chip shop either.

The build I currently ride is pretty much as smooth and acceptable to ride as anything else I have ridden upto a grand or so, simply cos it's had the time spent to set everything up properly, rather just banging a pile of expensive componentry on and hoping for the best.

Spending two or three grand on a guitar however, now that's a different matter 🙂

tron
    Free Member

It's called Sega Saturn Syndrome. The largest outbreak was in 1996, when sufferers could be found in school playgrounds up and down the country, telling their friends how good their Sega Saturn was compared to the Playstation.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don't have to get stressed about scratches/dings

I don't care about scratches or dings on my nice bikes. I do care about weight/kit/riding niceness etc tho 🙂

335.geek
    Free Member

"I do care about weight/kit/riding niceness etc tho"

Well, yeah I do….. but you don't have to spend thousands to enjoy riding, if anybody wants to spend thousands on a bike, they can, it's fine with me. It's just that I enjoy the fettling, so am happier fiddling with it myself rather than relying on just buying in components to get a decent ride.:

molgrips
    Free Member

I buy decent components AND fettle them to get a good ride. Money doesn't buy good setup, wtf are you talking about?

335.geek
    Free Member

I think I explained it fairly clearly, I will say it once more as I know you struggle with comprehension and accepting any kind of opinion that differs from yours Molgrips.

I never said you can buy a good setup, you are as usual putting words in people's mouths. What I was actually saying is that it is possible to enjoy cycling without spending thousands of pounds. there, that any better?

If it's still not clear, I'll be back later and can draw you a diagram with nice short labels on it.:)

singlespeedstu

So then.

Someone asks about some wheels/brakes/frame/tyres*/fork and no one can answer as they'll be annoying someone for bigging up their kit.

That would be rather dull wouldn't it.
    Are we allowed to talk about stuff we've never owned or even seen.

*anyone asking about this should be shot.

joolsburger
    Free Member

OP, the correct word is embiggening I saw it on The Simpsons.

cynic-al
    Free Member

stu has it. 85% of this forum traffic is folk justifying themselves.

clubber
    Free Member

With you obviously in the 15% minority, right?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Quick almost random point – of lot of "good" stuff isn't "good" until you sort it out – my XT chainset – NO grease in the chainring bolts – just metal against metal powder. Many hubs – no/little grease. Same with pedals and other components (factory built wheels being the worst – nipples are never greased – oooh eerr missus – spokes are overtightened, etc).

clubber
    Free Member

I never grease my nipples… 😯

My wheels seem to be regarded quite well nonetheless as I don't think it's a good thing/necessary to do – I find no downside to not doing it and while greasing may make the build smoother, it can also make some spokes come loose.

Sorry, what am I saying.

My wheels are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!

singlespeedstu

85% of this forum traffic is folk justifying themselves.

You're only saying that to try and justify yourself. 😆

greyman
    Free Member

It's known as "buyers remorse"

self justification required by most folk, even those pretending not to be that insecure 🙂

Hadge
    Free Member

It's just opinions so you can take anything with a pinch of salt really. I've owned long term a Yeti 575, Intense 5.5, S Works Enduro and Turner 5 Spot do do you think anyone would take in my opinions on which I think is the best? I'll tell anyone what I think but whether they believe me or take advice from it is purely up to them.

crazy-legs

It's why magazines don't generally accept reviews from people who've gone out and bought the kit – having bought the kit most people are reluctant to then slag it off, especially if it's expensive and they'll try to justify it's price/performance etc.

Bizarrely, forums are often the exact opposite, people will come on and slag off something they've bought, sometimes even as a first resort. It's one thing going through the shop/dealer/importer and having a problem resolved but a lot of folk seem to start a thread the second anything goes wrong "I've had my xxxx for 3 months and it's rubbish/broken RANT"

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I explained it fairly clearly

You might think that, but you didn't 😉

It's just that I enjoy the fettling, so am happier fiddling with it myself rather than relying on just buying in components to get a decent ride

This strongly suggests that that people buy nice kit to try and compensate for poor setup (by juxtaposing good setup and expensive kit). This a) is not true and b) wouldn't work anyway! If your indexing's out, then it's out and your gears won't work – regardless of whether or not it's Alivio or XTR..?

To be fair, you did come across as a little disparaging towards those who spent money on kit, I felt. Obviously you don't need to spend money to enjoy your riding – this is so obvious it goes without saying.

But yea, I'd like to see some diagrams 🙂

tazzymtb

The best kit is the stuff you are riding at that moment. I don't ride a lovely tongue lollingly jolly bit of singletrack and think " oh that would have been so much more enjoyable, if only I'd have been riding with king/american classic hub etc.."

I might happen to own bikes with nice kit but it shouldn't get too obsessive! 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    I never grease my nipples…
    My wheels seem to be regarded quite well nonetheless as I don't think it's a good thing/necessary to do – I find no downside to not doing it and while greasing may make the build smoother, it can also make some spokes come loose.

you live in the soft south yes? Or haven't looked at a wheel after a few years?

Northwind

Everyone's obsessed with "best", is the thing, it's not enough to just have something that you like or that works really well, it has to be best. I doubt either of my bikes are the best at what they do, but they're still ace and suit me down to the ground. Even if there was an objective "best bike evars for everyones", which there isn't and never will be, chances are I couldn't afford it anyway 😉 But still people want to believe not just that they made a good choice, but that they made the one perfect choice.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Bigging up your kit’ is closed to new replies.