Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 188 total)
  • biggest load of old tosh youve heard about mtbing?
  • That a boutique frame welded together by a craftsman in Germany/USA/England is better than a mass produced frame welded together by a peasant in Taiwan.

chickenman

favourate about another hobby of mine:"Rockclimbing, of course it's the getting back down that's most difficult!"

hora
    Free Member

People who own 3 or 4 bikes; say their single speeded old mountain bike cobbled together with old bits and MX forks, along with their poverty-spec CX bike etc is far better and superior than someone who spends their money on one bike to do it all for them. 🙄

Then tell you how much better a rider they are than you because they only need "100mm and one gear". 🙄

Inverted snobbery.

Just as bad as the folk who spend thousands on numerous top end bikes.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Everyone on a MTB is friendly it's only roadies that are arses.

hora
    Free Member

Must admit, why should you meet and greet everyone you come across on the road? What next, doff your cap to a fellow car driver? I quickly became tired of MX5 drivers doing this. ITS A MASSED PRODUCED CAR NOT AN EXCLUSIVE CLUB FFS! 😆

IdleJon

hora – Member
    Must admit, why should you meet and greet everyone you come across on the road?

I was wondering that as I was riding along the seafront here in Swansea yesterday. Should I have greeted every student, loafer, commuter etc with a hearty hellooo, or just not bother?

I came to the conclusion that it's a bit like shopping – I don't wander around JS saying "Oh look, another shopper, HELLO!".

tazzymtb

Rockclimbing, "of course it's the getting back down that's most difficult!"

probably a bastardisation from alpine style mountaineering where the truism "at the top you're only half way" was/is used, as a lot of deaths occur due to tired climbers trying to move quickly often unroped over "easy" but still very dangerous ground.

Blower
    Free Member

"the back end feels springy"
    "feels stiff"

You cant ride down there on that bike.

I used to think all other Land Rover drivers were waving at me.
    Then I realised they were just wiping the condensation of their screens because their heaters don't work either.

Edit;
    MilitantGraham in Four other people reply in the time it takes me to type a single sentence making my reply look irrelevant shock

grumm
    Free Member

singlespeed is anything other than a willy-waving exercise for beardy losers. 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Hold on, I just have to adjust my shock/fork pressures for this trail..

Ah, haven't got the right tyres for this bit..

sturmey
    Free Member

99% of all statistics are made up.

RealMan
    Free Member

I heard it was 78%..

ojom
    Free Member

60% of them are made up 100% of the time.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

That you need to hang off the back of the bike when going downhill off road ..

If you ride on flats then you're not doing it properly ..

You can't ride SS on flat pedals ..

You need 6" of rear travel to ride the final descent of the ClimachX … whoever said that was a proper nob 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

You need a torque wrench for that.

DenDennis
    Free Member

juan – Member

XC is mountain biking…

so you're faster downhill than

THIS DUDE ??

you're pretty good! 😆

carbon
    Free Member

Presta valves are only for road bikes.

My skills are so good I have progressed onto flat pedals.

This bike is a keeper.

ampthill

I suppose inb general its all the your under or over biked stuff

In the real world groups are often out on a range of hugely diffrent bikes and all get on fine on the same trail.

Case in point couple, one on 29er single speed the other a Specialized Enduro. Different bikes for different folks, all good fun

On here it too much you only need a hard tail or you'll need 6 inches both ends for that

Live and let live

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

'Rotating weight (in wheels) needs to be accelerated in two directions at the same time.'

MBUK, March 2010, p.109

…Patently absurd.

ononeorange

Cleaning bikes is a good use of time…..

IdleJon

no_eyed_dear – Member
    'Rotating weight (in wheels) needs to be accelerated in two directions at the same time.'

MBUK, March 2010, p.109

…Patently absurd.

No its not absurd, it's obviously accelerated UP and DOWN. Oh, and forwards AND backwards. And ad infinitum…..

soulrider
    Free Member

that Hora is a nice bloke with no chip on his shoulder

igm

The small rotors hypothesis is mine. I claim it. I just don't suggest you try it in the Alps. And dont' sue me if it turns out I'm wrong.

And the Orange Five is a re-hashed single pivot – regularly (though subtly) rehashed. Still good though.

aracer
    Free Member

Rotating weight makes a significant difference to your speed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you must use bolt through forks if you ride more than canal tow paths …. copywrite dasnut ….

grahamt1980

That mountain biking is difficult and scary (sure some of the time it is – but people seem to think that all mtb is hard)

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

The biggest load of Tosh heard in MTB'ing has gotta be Hora's usual quote of 'I'll be riding with you tomorrow!'

yunki
    Free Member

'you're not supposed to be riding that bicycle here you know'

grumm
    Free Member

Steve peat beat grum going down

😕 ?

westkipper
    Free Member

Militantgraham, I'm not sure how many 'peasants' there actually are in Taiwan these days.

Anyway, howzabout the classic; "huff!.. I just.. huff!.. have to.. puff!, stop just.. huff puff!.. just up here.. wheeeze!.. just to.. huff.. adjust my suspension settings/seatpost/ rubbing disc " 😉

metalheart
    Free Member

Titanium frames are for life…

bassspine
    Free Member
    Northwind

"It's in stock" vies with "It'll arrive in 3 days" in my experience.

Also, MBR… "The rims are too narrow and weak and the brakes don't really work at all, 10 out of 10!"

hilldodger
    Free Member

anything involving 'JRA'

devs
    Free Member

I can clean the black at Laggan but certainly don't find it easy. I generally pass people on it but am at the back of our group. Is Jaun and the rest of the riders on here really at a standard where they think it is easy? It's just I only know one person that does and he wins DH races and gets sponsored. I bow to the collective STW skill and hope one day to be able to ride with and learn from you l33t d3wds.

Soup
    Free Member

That 160 rotors don't give you enough stopping power,

You don't need a fancy carbon bike – On-One make all there bikes from steel and titanium . . . . . oh, hang on ….

The saddle will get comfier once it's been worn in.

Gluless patches don't work,

You need to replace your helmet every 3 years as the UV rays weaken it,

'No darling, that's the same bike I've always had. Ive just cleaned it'

ex-pat
    Free Member

Single speed is fun

ex-pat
    Free Member

flats, no spd's, no flats… and repeat.

ex-pat
    Free Member

bassspine – Member
    10 speed

Yes, that is tosh isn't it. Glad I visited the site.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘biggest load of old tosh youve heard about mtbing?’ is closed to new replies.