Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bigger brake rotors, any foreseeable problems?
  • greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Hello peeps.

One day my disc rotors will need replacing and an increase in brake force/ modulation would be nice

Currently Running a rigid 29er and deore m615 hydro brakes with 160mm rotors fore and aft.

For general trail riding, what rotor size could I go to? (With different caliper mounts)

Your experience will be greatly appreciated 😀

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I run R=160 F=180 same brakes. The front 180 has less modulation and feels a bit grabbier but you get used to it’s sharper performance.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve always liked having the front rotor a size up from the rear. It makes sense as the front brake does most of the stopping.

Depends on the brake, rider and use as to what those sizes are. However, upsizing will give you more power but reduce modulation so like most things in life, it’s a compromise.

andyg1966

I’d go for 180 F&R. On long downs (read Alps) I use the back brake more and it can get very hot and the bigger brake helps in keeping things cools. Obviously for a big hard stop you need a powerful front brake but hard stops only last for a few seconds.

I have 180 F&R on my HT ant 203 F&R on my FS.

andyg1966

Ah nuts double post!

bigyinn
    Free Member

203mm front, 180mm rear. Plenty of power, which is useful for my weight. Much better to be over rather than under braked!
    Dont forget if you’re moving up a rotor size, you’ll need to get caliper adaptors too!

philwarren11
    Free Member

203 front and rear. No issues. Wouldnt run any smaller now.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Depends on the riding too I guess. 203mm on the rear would be overkill for me with the majority of riding I do.
    In the alps and full on DH runs I can see the benefit of bigger discs on the back, and I suppose they’re more effective at heat dissipation as well.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks. 😀

It’s reassuring to know that I can up the rotor size.
    This may come in especially handy as and when I dabble with an ebike kit and the extra kg’s involved.

martymac

i have 180mm front and rear on my deore equipped ebike, imo thats just right, not too grabby, but definitely stops me.
    i weigh slightly over 20 stone, plus bike (40lbs)
    and often luggage (30-40lbs)

wolfenstein
    Free Member

180-180 all the time(UK) love the sharpish feeling of the brakes (70kg all gear rider)

sambob
    Free Member

203 front 180 rear on SLX brakes, 80kg on a 120mm 29er. Upped the rotor size for the Alps and now wouldn’t change back, I’ve definitely got used to getting away with braking late.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bigger brake rotors, any foreseeable problems?’ is closed to new replies.