Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Big volume tyres
  • topangarider
    Free Member

I’m currently running 2.1 Bonty ACX’s on my Soul (on Mavic 717 rims).

I’m suddenly finding that as I get more comfortable riding techy descents quicker, I’m feeling that I am not going as fast as I could.

Really I’d like to try a full usser and go that way, but financially its waaay off!

Would upping my tyres to 2.25 or 2.35″ help?

Riding is mainly Peaks and Trail centres (Dalby/Cannock) etc.

Cheers.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Bonty Big Earl wets are good, work in most conditions too.

grum
    Free Member

+1 Bagstard

Big tyres at low pressures can make a massive difference imo.

ruscle
    Free Member

Big volume tyres all the way. You will find they make a huge difference. I like the continental tyres either xkings or rubber queens or you could try the bonty xr4’s

transapp
    Free Member

You’re about to have a load of people tell you that they can ride everything on a cx bike and you’re rubbish! However, there is no doubt in my mind that fatter tyre will give more bounce and let you feel more confident. I’d say go for it, however in the mud you’ll probably clog up more with frame clearance issues. Also don’t overlook the type of tyre, I don’t know the particular Bonty’s however, iv they work anything like the original Jones tyres supplied on my old trek, they will be pretty rubbish compared to something like a high roller of nobby nick.

chakaping
    Free Member

Would upping my tyres to 2.25 or 2.35″ help?

Yes I reckon so.

Actual widths vary a bit between manufacturers though, so bear that in mind.

I have a 2.4in Rubber Queen in good condition I needd to sell, if you want to go really big.

Russell96

717’s are a narrow-ish rim, a big tyre at a low pressure will either roll off the rim or pinch flat all the time. Mavic only recommend up to a 2.1 on them so don’t go mad with a too large tyre on them.

chakaping
    Free Member

oops, I missed the 717 bit – maybe stick to Maxxis 2.35 or Kenda 2.1 (about the same volume)

I’d riding minion dhf on front and rear at the moment and they are very capable and versatile.

sambob
    Free Member

Advantage 2.25 are massive for a 2.25, and seem to work well on pretty much any surface.
    EDIT: they work fine for me on a 717 and a DT4.2, run at about 35PSI

Bagstard
    Free Member

Big Earls wets are much better than Highrollers and don’t have wafer thin side walls.

topangarider
    Free Member

Thinking kenda nevegal 2.35 – thoughts? Not keen on high rollers, too big a gap between central knob and shoulders (for me).

brassneck

Tubeless makes a big difference, if you’re otherwise happy with the ACXs.
    You can run lower pressure, and gain a bit of grip and comfort.

Not quite so cheap, but I’ve got Joe’s No Flats kits off EBay for under £20 twice, or you could ghetto it from a BMX tbue (I would buy Joe’s to save the grief to be honest though).

topangarider
    Free Member

Was running low pressures in the ACX, but kept dinging the rim, so had to up the pressure.

So, looking at these

Kenda Nevegals – 2.1 or 2.35? Advice – will the bigger ones work on my 717’s?

Or a Maxxis Advantage (2.25″???) to go with my Larsen on the rear?

Ta

grum
    Free Member

Big Earls wets are much better than Highrollers and don’t have wafer thin side walls.

Yup – I used HRs for a while and much prefer the Big Earls – my last few were £20 each as well.

chiefgrooveguru

Bontrager XR4 2.2 are great on my Soul, similar width to many allegedly 2.35 or 2.4 tyres and even taller so very big volume. I ran them ghetto-tubeless on 17mm rims though they’re on Flows now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Big volume tyres’ is closed to new replies.