Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Big vet bill or have the cat put down?
  • Poindexter
    Free Member

I’d stamp on Poindexter’s head for free.

Why would you take exception to my opinion? Do you consider lethal injection by a vet to be somehow more ‘humane’ than a quick stamp?

Coming from a rural, agricultural background, you become rather objective about these sorts of things. If you find a rabbit with mixi and your gun’s 200 yards away locked up in the house, you stamp it. Simple. I’d begrudge paying 20 quid for something I could do myself.

samuri
    Free Member

One of our cats is a furry parasite for sure. We only see her when she’s hungry or cold. She spits and lashes out at us when she is in the house, beats the other cat up, growls at us, the dog, the washing machine, everything. She’s a nasty little bugger and we’ve never shown her anything but love and affection. The only person who she will let stroke her is my son but she will regularly just attack him (not play cat attack – nasty try to hurt attack) while he’s doing it so he’s pretty much stopped now.

The other one is a lot more friendly but the only time she will come to see us is when she wants something. She may have food or water but most cats want stroking all the time, or they want to leech warmth from you. As far as I’m concerned all cats have a hidden agenda.

The dog is happy to see me when I come back from taking the bin out.

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

I had my dog from when I was 9 till last year, 15 years and was very attached to him but, he had lost his sight and his hearing was on the way out so when he got ill, we asked our vet who is a close friend of ours to do the honours and that was it, wouldn’t have wanted to see him suffer.

And we ended up with a 3 legged cat after the trip to the vets, a stray kitten was mauled by a dog, had to have one of its legs removed and pelvis rebuilt, the vet had taken pity on it as it had no owner to pay for the work. My sister decided we would take it home.

A month later my old man ran over it with the tractor.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MikeT-23
    Free Member

My male cat had had two operations on his bladder at great cost each time.(£1000 or thereabouts!)
    Foolishly, I had not got him insured before the first time, so any further work had to be paid by myself.
    As urinary tract infections are quite common among young male cats, I was in a bit of a bind.
    By the time he had problems for a third time, there was no choice. Tumbleweed, as he was known, would have to become Tumbelina, and there was still no guarantee that the operation would resolve the issue. At £1500 it was a big risk, and we had a toddler in the house whose needs were considered to be more pressing.
    It was with much grief and anguish that the decision was made and actioned, but the cat was in great distress with the discomfort of the bladder issue.
    I cried for days, and miss him still after two and a half years.
    However, the vet’s bill for the service wasn’t cheap either (about £250), but they had the sensitivity to wait three months before sending the invoice.

My advice: animals are great to have about if you can afford them, so know the potential costs first, and get insurance.

coffeeking
    Free Member

TBH I think the amount of money vets charge is (at times) extortionate. We’re fortunate in that our vet doesnt see the point in driving round in a ferrari, doesnt have a spangly new office etc, but concerns her time with learning about the animals we take in and charging as little as possible so that people dont just put the animals down. We had to take one of my ferrets for an emergency “big sleep” some time ago, the only vet open at 9pm was about 15 miles away and wanted nearly £100 for the pleasure despite the fact that the surgery was open, staffed and busy already. I questioned why they were charging £100 for what was normally £13 at my “day” vet and the answer was simply because it was a late opening day. When we later mentioned it to our vet she said we should just call her mobile next time and she’d come out if at all possible as the price was disgraceful.

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

Trampus I must know. I’ve been thinking about it all afternoon – how did the cat save your life? If it was unconditional love and companionship that made your life bearable, a soul dependant on you and reason to go on thru and otherwise unbearable time in your life then that’s a valid and wonderful answer.

However if you don’t tell us then I forever be left with an image of a big grey moggy belting across the kitchen worktops and hurling himself at you, using all his weight to knock your violently skaking, smoking body clear of a toaster into which you’ve inserted a metal knife. Then perhaps calling an ambulance or doing CPR or using a defibrilator. Or have I taken that too far.

anagallis_arvensis

I like to think being a rufty tuffty country boy from a farming background I’d get it put down, in reality I’d pay the money!

MikeT-23
    Free Member

I prefer to think of a couple of menacing heavies who had captured and restrained Trampus for their own amusement and nefarious gain, with the intention of killing him afterwards.
    Then, Trampus’ cat creeps up behind them silently (as cats do so well) and whacks their skulls open with a baseball bat before cutting through the restraints with claws so sharp that they glint in the light.
    Trampus and cat then hug, and skip merrily off into the sunset.

Now, have I taken that too far?

mrsflash
    Free Member

Not many cats survive being hit by a car.
    If he did need £1200 spending on him he’d probably be in a pretty bad way anyway. So would it be fair to put him through a long recovery ?
    Decision made.

It’s v easy to run up £1200 in vets bills, see GF’s post above about ours getting hit.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Big vet bill or have the cat put down?’ is closed to new replies.