• This topic has 21 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mc.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Big vans, Sprinter, Crafter/LT35, Iveco
  • LoCo
    Free Member

Just starting to think about next years race season and the need for a decent sized van for my mobile workshop. At 6’3″ odd I need to be able to stand up in it so obviously a high top and meduim wheelbase minimum to get all the kit in.
    What are peoples experiences of the above vans I have used sprinters and crafters before but not the Iveco any views on these?

ton

trannies are where it is at…….mine is ace.
    500miles on a tank, 100mph at top speed.

geoffj

IIRC Ivecos are lower geared, more suited for around town than long distances.

I have a Fiat Ducato LWB Maxi (High top) and I can’t fault it.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Iveco and DAF are terrible

Sprinter/Transit common as muck, reliableish and are popular for a reason

Vauxhall vans have terrible turning circle

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

oh and if you are going to be in muddy fields then front wheel drive will be better, old transits especially suffered from a severe lack of grip rear when not loaded

mc
    Free Member

Ivecos are the cheaper option to buy, and that is reflected in their quality, but not in the spares prices!
    Reliability wise, Ivecos are worse when being caned by fleet drivers everyday, but they’re ok if not abused.

Personally, given the choice, I’d go for a Sprinter, as the Merc engines are far better than the VW options, and Merc has the far better backup should things go wrong.

jp-t853

I used to manage a fleet and major mechanical problems (engine & gearbox)were very common on VW vans at around 140k

Ben_mw

Quite liked the Iveco last time I was looking for a new company van, but went for another VW as reliability has been excellent on all the ones we’ve owned. Current large van is an LT35 (not crafter) MWB HR with 158 engine that has done nearly 450,000Km, mainly loaded, often towing. Plenty of room in the back for me to stand up (6′) just have to remember that the doors are a little shorter!
    Other LT’s and Transporters we’ve owned have all done spaceship mileages with very little going wrong considering. The one Merc we tried (offered a very good deal) was awful, new engine by 100,00Km and scrapped by 150,000Km.
    VW’s used to be priced much cheaper than the equivelant Merc, but seemed to have a price hike recently.

mc
    Free Member

And I wouldn’t personally touch a transit.
    Older ones (pre-06) have major fuel pump issues (either breaks up, or the electronics pack in)
    Newer ones have EGR, fuel pressure, and gearbox issues.

LoCo
    Free Member

Great that puts the Iveco out the running, I have had Transits of various types and didn’t get on with them, the Vivaro was nice a quick too but felt like it was going to break from new, so a Sprinter or LT35 it is then.

spooky_b329

I have a MWB Iveco Daily. It is cheaper than the others, has more space in the back as the walls don’t lean in anything like as much as the Transit or Sprinter, and contrary to above, I find my 35s12 (3.5t Single rear wheel 120bhp) is much better geared than the Transits I’ve driven at work. Some transit have towing diff which means 60mph is about 3000rpm, which makes them quite tiring to drive at motorway speeds. The main downside to the Iveco is its essentially a truck, not as nimble as other vans, stiffly sprung and slow gearchange. The Iveco is also the only van with a proper chassis, so its easy to bolt water and gas tanks underneath it.

The vivaro’s I’ve driven are very car like, but I found them sluggish and they have gearbox issues. Also the hitop versions are rare. If I didn’t need rwd for heavy towing, the latest Ducato/Relay would be head and shoulders over the rest as they are very square and wide, giving loads of space.

mc
    Free Member

Renault/Vauxhall/Nissan vans are a bit delicate. OK if they’re looked after, but really don’t handle abuse too well.

Out of the LT35/Sprinter (of the same era), the Sprinter is the better van.
    Both are pretty much identical with the exception of the engine and dashboard. VW engines still use cambelts, and are generally more tempremental. Also I think the VW dash looks hideous compared with the Merc one.

Out of the newer Crafter/Sprinter (906), the only differences are the engines. We’ve had some issues with both of them, although the Crafters havn’t yet seen the same amount of use as the Mercs.

Moses

I’ve had a converted Iveco – slow and tractorish but powerful, reliable. The pre 07 ones have a very low underslung fuel tank which you have to wartch. I split 2 on uneven surfaces.
    Curently have a Ducato: huge, fast, easy to drive. Also cheap: I paid 15k incl VAT for a brand new one, 3L, hi-top, LWB on the last day of the year. About 10k cheaper than the corresponding VW.

mc
    Free Member

There’s a reason why Fiat vans are cheap, and no major fleets run them…

Sam

I have an LT35, MWB with high top and it’s great. The 2.8 TDi engine runs on gears, so no cambelt to worry about, and puts out a pretty handy 160bhp. Mine’s been great after a slight turbo overboost problem being fixed. Had it nearly a year, ’04 plate w 160k on the clock. Does 80-85mph all day, over 100 if you ask it to. Drives really well, ok to handle around town and can just squeeze it into normal size parking spots, which you can’t really do with an LWB. Gradually converting it into camper/race van. Space for 2m long bunks in back, two rows of seats up the front with a bulkhead between.

IMG_2774 by Singular Cycles, on Flickr

JonEdwards
    Free Member

We’ve got a couple of sprinters at work.

They’ve been *properly* abused. Both look a bit scrappy now – internal stuff like airvents, ash trays get broken, but nothing major has fallen off, and I can’t recall them breaking down. Historically we’ve always massively overloaded them, and there doesn’t seem to be any major after effects.

The long wheelbase one is quite tailhappy in the wet, the mid length one less so. Fuel economy seems reasonable, and they both go & handle well enough with a bit of weight in them.

LoCo
    Free Member

Sam nice, think I may need a lwb as would like to try and squeeze a separate bunk area in if I’ve not got the caravan to sleep in.

I_Ache
    Free Member

LWB and properly high top Sprinter (new shape) has been my favourite van to drive because it it massive inside with plenty of room for a 6 footer to standup and they drive nicely. But avoid the auto especially if you are going across damp feilds. Older sprinters are good too. LT35s are a bit crap only driven the 2.4 petrol engine which was just terrible. Ive pulled the sliding door off a new iveco as in current shape and only about 2 weeks old the cabin rattled and it always felt like it wasnt going to make the next corner. LDV well they are nearly as bad as the iveco.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Historically we’ve always massively overloaded

nice covering of the arse there Jon boy 😆

if the springs still smile………

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Ive pulled the sliding door off a new iveco as in current shape and only about 2 weeks old

at least you pulled it off, they generally just fall of un-prompted

LoCo
    Free Member

Just before this becomes the Iveco hate thread, has any body got suggestions on companies that do interior workshop fittings, cabinets, benches e.t.c Can’t remember which company mojo used on the sprinter when I was there. Ta.

mc
    Free Member

http://www.bott-direct.co.uk/

is one I see a lot of just now. There are a couple other ones, but I can’t remember the names just now!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Big vans, Sprinter, Crafter/LT35, Iveco’ is closed to new replies.