Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • big trees…. like, proper BIG trees, can you beat this?
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

mobile phone snap of mrsconsequence standing in the fire scare in the trunk of a sequoia in california 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mrsconsequence

Awwwwww! Sweeeeeeeeet! :-).

bruneep

Is she tiny?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Or very far away?

zokes
    Free Member

(nearly) the biggest flowering plant in the world….

Brown-top Stringy Bark a.k.a. Big Tree by Mark-Farrell, on Flickr

Torminalis
    Free Member

Welcome home!

IHN

Me and Martyns of this parish went to see the sequoias years ago. They are incredibly big, to the point where they completely screw with your sense of (visual) perspective.

Dobbo

Is that the American shot?

wwaswas

has philconsequence married a Borrower?

philconsequence
    Free Member

lol she’s about 5′ 9″, the sequoia trees are HUGE, its impossible to describe how big they are but on average they’re 2-3000 years old and there wasn’t a single one that we could take a photo of properly.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Lols they have a sequoia at Mabie, it’s only a few hundred years old so as you can imagine its not in that legue. It’s still one of the biggest trees in the UK.

yunki
    Free Member

Awesome..

I’ve just been reading about America’s forests in Bill Bryson’s A Walk In The Woods..

scruff
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Wow. Think of the number of chest of drawers you could make out of that!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mcmoonter would make quick work of that lot.

thepurist

Wow. Think of the number of chest of drawers you could make out of that!

IIRC Sequioa wood’s not much good for anything, so they use it for matchsticks.. a LOT of matchsticks.

mrmo
    Free Member

biggest tree i have seen is a NZ Kauri, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C4%81ne_Mahuta

DezB
    Free Member

so they use it for matchsticks

So it burns good, huh?

woody2000

Ditto the Kauri tree. Not overly tall, but plenty of girth 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

When I walked the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island we cooked our dinner every evening on cedarwood fires; the wood fractures interestingly into blocks when a tree falls. Smells nice too.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Some from my trip down the Pacific Coast

JoeG
    Free Member

A lot of the US was old growth forest, the vast majority of which was clearcut in the 1800s and early 1900s. There aren’t redwood trees in the eastern part of the US, but there were big oak trees and others. Here are a couple of old logging pics from West Virginia.

“White oak, the largest timber tree in the original forest, often attained a height of 100 feet and a diameter of over 6 feet. It could be found on the slopes and ridges of dry, thin soils derived from sandstone and shale. The largest known tree ever cut in West Virginia was a White Oak, and it is pictured here. The other oaks, along with this world record tree, were all clearcut.”

“The most important cove hardwood tree was the Yellow Poplar, a species that grew to enormous size. The typical poplar attained a height of 120 to 140 feet, and a diameter of 7 to 9 feet, with a distance to the first limb of 80 feet. Several poplars 10 and 11 feet in diameter were located by loggers and cut down. Large poplars were not isolated freaks in the original forest. They often occurred in nearly pure stands. They were all clearcut.

This large yellow poplar cut in 1913 on Green Mountain, Tucker County, by the Otter Creek Boom and Lumber Co. at Hambleton, filled an entire logging train and furnished 12,469 board feet of lumber.”

Webpage at [/url]

Northwind

We;ve got an assortment of sequoias at my work. Around a century old, there’s a giganteum that’s about 28 metres and a coast redwood a little under that, and various smaller ones. Pretty poor efforts for sequoias, but then they’re just seedlings 😆

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘big trees…. like, proper BIG trees, can you beat this?’ is closed to new replies.