Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Big *thing* to do in Morzine?
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m 40 in June, which has no upsides other than an excuse to do something about it.

I fancied going back to Whistler, but it’s not on the cards, too much £££.

So, going to Morzine for the 5th or more time, stopped counting, for Passportes which is a few days after my birthday which will be great – but I want to do something *big* and memorable. I fancied Heli-Biking, but it seems it’s no available – any ideas anyone?

Stoner
    Free Member

Parapenting?
    Rafting a little further down the Dranse towards Baume?

I’d love a go parapenting a few times.

allthegear
    Free Member

Shed jump in Les Gets, whilst incorporating a front flip.

Should find a helicopter trip follows shortly after.

Rachel

jambalaya
    Free Member

Chamonix is an hour away, anything you could want there inc heli-trip (I imagine – Mont Blanc to Matterhorn ?), hut trip ? Parapenting ?

Edit: just seen Stoner best me to it, my mate just had his 54th birthday and celebrated with his 52nd solo parapent, took it up last year.

Stoner
    Free Member

For my 40th in Morzine I climbed the KMV (Kilomètre vertical) and a bit more, from 900m to c.2170m of the Nantaux above Montriond.

Since then I’ve also climbed Les Hauts Forts 2,466m, Roc d’Enfer 2,243m, Pointe de Nyon 2,019m, Point Angolon 2,090m and most recently on Boxing Day this year Pointe de Chavache 2,080m. They are stunning hikes with breath-taking views.

MoreCashThanDash

Heidi?

makkag
    Free Member

Have you also made it out on the bike stoner ? I see snows a bit sparse this year and lifts open to bikes ? Op have you done la Bourgeoise decent into Samoens ? Was kindly guided down and driven back this year by stoner and a was a great ride . Failing the bike what about a skydive ?

Stoner
    Free Member

just came to me having read Jamba’s hut idea, is the Le tour des Dents Blanche hike. It takes in the famous Col du Cou on it’s way round.

http://www.tour-dentsblanches.com/

Im planning on doing 2/3rds of it this coming summer with one overnight in a refuge.

Stoner
    Free Member

makka – we’re just back from 10 days out there. Got a good 4 days on the snow before the hoards arrived for the xmas week and the temperature started rising, so did a lot of walking instead, Have found a great new descent to try on the MTB from the Col Du Bassachaux back to Lindarets which is not a marked sentier on the maps.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@allthegear – is that shed jump still there? Ha ha, maybe without the front flip.

Thanks the for other ideas, I had a mate who was into Paragliding, I’ll look into it.

There’s always the old C & H, but I’ve always failed miserably to ‘score’ drugs in the Alps.

makkag
    Free Member

Sounds interesting I’m not sure if I will make morzine this year , quite a personal situation change and have committed to another week of the best kind of torture @ bike Verbier. Still a possibility I hope

jambalaya
    Free Member

Stoner bookmarked that !

Edukator
    Free Member

Mont Blanc, it’s not far away.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.trekking.ch/en/bungy/bungy-jumping-007-verzasca-classic

Bit of a drive but it’s the Goldeneye Dam

squirrelking
    Free Member

Something big?

Jump the bridge.

Don’t armour up and try to teararse down the luge thing it apparently hurts. Lots. Wasn’t me though so I got a laugh if nothing else…

Oh, and the zip line between the peaks.

scaredypants

Heidi?

no, I think that’s stoner – Heidi has moar pigtails

legend
    Free Member

Attempt to survive a night in Paradis?

Stoner
    Free Member

Id forgotten about that…

http://www.fantasticable.com/chatel.php

http://www.chatelactivites.com/en/ete/fantasticable-2/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So how much Morzine have you booked?
    If it’s just flights then head down to Alp d’Heuz and ride the Mega course and the Mountain of Hell Stuff.
    Some big riding stuff down Les Arcs out of the resort etc.

stevied
    Free Member

Never got to do that when we went a few years ago 🙁

My mate, Dave, went 1st. Got half way across and panicked, thought the best thing to do was get his legs out of the harness so they were just dangling down. We heard the crack as his legs hit the (target) board where you went through to be caught on the other side. He had a helicopter ride to Geneva and the zipline was closed 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ worthy of Jackass 😐

Free Member

Do you have to go to Morzine? You don’t sound particularly thrilled at the idea.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@Jontawn Yes and No

Nothing booked, but it’s a big group mission and changing direction now would be hard work.

Whistler would be my first choice, but it would mean leaving a lot of people behind and a big battle at home, I’m not up for it.

So Morzine is second-choice, I’ve been there a couple of times – I love the place, I guess i was just trying to illustrate I’m familiar with it and the 75th run down the Pleney side is all that memorable.

We went ‘off piste’ last year with Les Arcs, it was cool (freezing actually but we were unlucky with the weather) but about half of us, me included thought that the non riding side went against it – closed shops, closed bars, even in a big group it felt like a ghost town – research suggests that’s pretty much the norm for ski towns in summer – PDS is the exception.

Free Member

Perhaps a big ol’ group family/friends holiday in Morzine would be ace, do all the stuff you love/enjoy doing and then pack up and tour around Iceland / Italy / etc. for a long weekend/appropriate length of time?

nickjb
    Free Member

Could you put together a little package of things. For my 40th we tried a 40 mile triathlon of walking, cycling and kayaking in Devon. In the end we got beaten by the weather but it was fun. I’m sure you could do something similar (and better) in Morzine. Maybe a big loop taking in Col de cou, swimming the lake then parapent off the super morzine

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Big *thing* to do in Morzine?’ is closed to new replies.