Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Big Tellys – No idea where to start
  • flamejob
    Free Member

Up 'till now we have had a 14" Sony CRT, but since moving to our new place we need something.. erum… bigger.

I think about £1000 is the limit.

This is the space:

There is loads of light from windows and skylights and I reckon there is 3 meters between the telly and sofa.

Anyone?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go to John Lewis. 5 year warranty and price matching.

flamejob
    Free Member

Oh yeah… the flat (apartment) is in Spain 😳

37 or 42 inch Panasonic plasma with Freesat built in.

Sorted

GrahamS

Sorted!

credit: woyano.com

RichPenny
    Free Member

If you aren't fussed about watching during the day, a projector would work nicely in that space. Screen the size of the wall I tell you 🙂

nickc

Choose one that has nice sound and has a picture you like, and can see from where you sit?

They are, after all, pretty much all black plastic boxes with a screen…

djglover
    Free Member

Panasonic.

the_lecht_rocks

NOT Panasonic plasma !!!!!
    I've got one @ 42" and it suffers ghosting from HD input.

I'd recommend the Samsung LED Series – Phenomenal blacks and a beautiful interface….

having bought a place in Spain, why scrimp for another £600 or so ! ? !

CountZero

I really can't believe people are seriously suggesting those huge old-school projection tv's. Look via Google for a Sony Bravia;
    Sony – KDL-40V4000 – 40" LCD TV – 1080p (FullHD)

The 40" BRAVIA 1080p HD V4000 LCD TV features the sleek draw the LINE design, crisp and clear picture quality thanks to BRAVIA engine 2 and BRAVIA … More…
    £462 – £749from 3 sellers

I've had a 40" Bravia for eighteen months, now got SkyHD for it and the picture is incredible, plus it's easily thin enough to hang on a wall. There are new tech tv's which are amazingly thin, about the width of yer thumb, tho' those are still kinda pricey. You honestly won't be disappointed with a Sony, a mate watched mine for ten minutes then went out an replaced his 32" CRT Sony with a 40" LCD like mine. For your budget, you may even find a 42 or even a 52".

JulianA
    Free Member

We looked at Panasonic in John Lewis the other day and the picture was streets ahead of the competition…

Samsung was unnaturally bright by comparison.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, in Spain you say?

In that case, go to Juan Luis instead….

(Coat on, already gone!)

the_lecht_rocks

julianA – ever heard of picture controls ?
    Panasonic have high mark up in JL and they thereby naturalise the Panny pic in preference to other makes.
    Samsung has better coolour saturation and control.
    however, Panasonic are still very good……..Just not Samsung good.

the_lecht_rocks

captain – LOL 😮

GrahamS

I really can't believe people are seriously suggesting those huge old-school projection tv's

In case it was unclear – I was joking 😀

uplink
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks – Member

NOT Panasonic plasma !!!!!
    I've got one @ 42" and it suffers ghosting from HD input.

I have one of the latest Pana 42" & a 50" & neither suffer from anything like this
    We also have a bank of 10 at work & I haven't noticed it

Maybe it has a fault or some other bit of kit is causing it?

the_lecht_rocks

Panny Plasma is reknowned for it uplink……..On HD input only…….

uplink
    Free Member

As I say – I haven't come across it on any of the ones I've seen & I sit in front of the 10 bank most days – they have all sorts of feeds going to them HD etc.
    These are the screens we use to determine final quality at the downlink end rather than use commercial monitors

Candodavid
    Free Member

Old man has new 600mhz Panasonic Plasma, amazing picture, no shadowing, just truly fantastic imagery,

Don't forget your AV reciever, or home Theatre system though

flamejob
    Free Member

Oh thats cleared it up then! I'll get a panasonysontosharp 🙂

I did think of the projector idea… but there are no curtains so it would be useless for most of the day.

Trimix
    Free Member

Just sit closer to an old small one. Save your money and spend it on bike bits.

miketually
    Free Member

get a little TV; your flat shouldn't be 95% plasma!

silverpigeon
    Free Member

LOL at Graham S.

Careful about going to big. I bought a 42" last year thinking bigger was better but it turns out my sofa is too close the TV to enjoy an 'optimal viewing experience'

See here

flamejob
    Free Member

Its a 130sq/m studio, surely there is enough space for a really big 'un!

molgrips
    Free Member

What're those led samsung ones like in bright light? My phone has an LED screen which has truly amazing contrast as you'd expect but it's near invisible in sunlight, unlike my previous tft one.

FWIW we got a low-end Sony one 40" for about £700 a year or so ago based on all the available review info at the time. It's lovely 🙂 Having said that if you are watching a standard def source and you sit closer than about 10ft it starts to look poor so we got just the right size. That's not the case with HD tho, you can stand with your nose up against it and you just see more detail 🙂

flamejob
    Free Member

This Sony looks pretty good to me.

I really like the 'one remote' idea too, if one saved up for a few months and got one of their BlueRay 5.1 systems too.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

"I really like the 'one remote' idea too, if one saved up for a few months and got one of their BlueRay 5.1 systems too."

Don't buy Sony's 5.1 surround system with the tiny speakers… I did and have regretted it ever since. The sound quality although ok on films is truely awful on anything else. Quite how What HiFi thought it was a good sounding system I dont know.

uplink
    Free Member

Don't all the major players do a similar common remote thing?

CountZero

uplink – Member
    Don't all the major players do a similar common remote thing?

in a sense, they offer a facility for programming the remote to operate certain functions on other kit, but only if it's current, new models probably won't be enabled. I've got a big Yamaha a/v amp with a programmable remote, but it won't operate a Yamaha SACD/DVD-A player I bought several years later, or my Sony 40" LCD telly, or my SkyHD box, so I still have to sit (lie) with a bunch of remotes scattered around. My Yammy feeds a Sony Chorus 5.1 speaker system, which sounds pretty good to me, music is particularly well presented. Best of all is I picked amp and speakers up for half price as ex-demo, £1500 quid's worth for £750. Nice!

finnegan
    Free Member

Get a projector and a Harmony universal remote – you won't look back…

uplink
    Free Member

in a sense, they offer a facility for programming the remote to operate certain functions

I know on the Panasonics they have Viera link which is pretty much a one touch operation for any of the Viera family of kit

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Technology/Viera+Link/571041/index.html

redthunder
    Free Member

3.5 x width of telly

is the optimum viewing point.

My telly is to big 🙁 Kewl… but to big.

and

get a Panasonic 🙂

petrieboy

keep the wee telly, spend £500 on a projector and spend the rest on bike bits.

flamejob
    Free Member

Humm… I kinda 'left' the little telly here in the UK (easier to convince the Mrs to buy a new one if there isn't actually a TV in the house!)

molgrips
    Free Member

Bloody Sony HDMI control system (one remote type thing, telly controls dvd through the HDMI cable) doesn't work with a PS3. It's only just about their most popular peripheral ever.. grr.. 🙁

uplink
    Free Member

Don't be wasting good money on a large TV – magnify the old one 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Big Tellys – No idea where to start’ is closed to new replies.