Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • big scary gap jump in leek
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Has anyone seen someone launching themselves off the big gap jump in Cheddleton Heath woods? Every time I look at it I just think “only in the movies”

jedi

ooh pics??

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ll take a camera next time I go…except tonight ‘cos it will be dark and snowy. However it’s a good 10 metres out and 10 metres down before landing (probably more), with a not very pleasant experience if you come up short. Much bigger than the Delamere gap jump

jedi

cool

collie
    Free Member

Where abouts on the Heath?
    I am looking at the Heath right now through my office/spare room window.
    Are you enjoying the Heath and St edwards then?

carlos
    Free Member

Yeah we need pics!! where is the one at Delamere?? not been there for ages.

Carl

GW
    Free Member

10 metres? that’s huge!!

yeah, post pics!

think this is only about 10metres by 5metres drop

carlos
    Free Member

I’m thinking of starting a bit smaller than that. 😯

jedi

gw, always like the fact that is over 40ft across but people underrate it.
    makes a change 🙂

Kit
    Free Member

Nah, GW’s pic is something like 25m x 5m. 10m is the depth of a new house, roughly.

boxelder

If the rider is about 6′ tall, then he’s just under 2 metres, making the jump closer to 20 metres surely – I’d say that’s quite large.

carlos
    Free Member

20m is about the length of TWO standard double decker buses (end to end) that you find in the UK and I’d say thats a f’in big gap.

Carl

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Hi Collie. Yes I’m very much enjoying the Heath and St Edwards. Went out in the snow and dark last night and had a great ride. Much more traction than I had any right to expect. If you fancy joining up one evening…?

As for the gap, I know it is hard to estimate distances of a jump. I would say the vertical drop is like the above pic (more than 5 metres IMHO) and the horizontal perhaps a bit smaller. But then I reckon the above is more than 10m. Anyway, rather than get hung up over how many metres, let me get a piccie. Patience tho’, I won’t be able to get up there in daylight again until at least Sunday (N Yorks Moors on Sat…in the snow hopefully)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

PS if anyone wants to have a look themselves, join the Heath at the bridlegate just below the junction of Basford Lane and Cheddleton Heath road. Don’t drop into the Heath straight away; ride along a bit until you see some smaller dirt jumps down to your right. Once you’ve seen the dirt jumps immediately by the path, look up through the trees to your left. You should see a wooden ramp launching over a rather large hollow and then a steep transition joining the track you are on.

I will not be drawn into debates over exactly how big it is, but I’d be surprised if many people ever ride it (not even sure you can get enough of a run up to clear it!). 😀

stilltortoise
    Free Member

PPS My local swimming pool as a kid was 12.5m wide. Bearing in mind the rider above will hopefully be landing on the transition – and using my cunning swimming pool visualisation technique! – I reckon he’ll be having considerably more than 10m horizontal airtime.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

PPPS search for the Delamere gap jump on You Tube. Not as big as the piccie above tho’

GW
    Free Member

no need to argue…
    just read this:
    http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/?a=475

think that makes it more like a 15m gap. it’s **** Huge!! whatever way you measure it. 😉

jedi

fact

stilltortoise
    Free Member

To give a sense of comparison I would say the transition on the Cheddleton one starts at the right hand side of the track of the one above. So, not as long but a bit more vertical to drop. If these guys need 40mph to clear this jump I can’t see anyone getting enough speed on the Cheddleton one. Still, I’m no hucker so what would I know 😕

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

no need to argue…
    just read this:
    http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/?a=475

think that makes it more like a 15m gap. it’s **** Huge!! whatever way you measure it.

**** me that’s a biggy. Like the ‘Col’ measurement scale in that story.

richc
    Free Member

So GW’s freeride tape measure was a bit out 😉

joshthebiker
    Free Member

null[img]http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5774174/[/img][img]http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5774177/[/img][img]http://null[/img]Bringing this one back from the grave 😀
    The drop in question is one myself and a few mates made but it has changed alot over the 2 years.
    I have got some photos of when it was built.
    The photos make it look small.
    Got some new photos on how it has changed
    8)
    Just hope all the photos work!
    Josh.

bobbyspangles

no

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

is this related to the original post?

winterfold
    Free Member

God these pictures make me feel old. But glad to be human at the same time.

I used to jump a windsurfer like that, about 20 years ago, but it just doesnt hurt and you fall like a feather, not like a brick.

Absolutely mental, and utterly amazing. The quarry road gap made me laugh out loud it’s totally insane to try it and yet clearly doable, with appropriate skills, practice and balls.

chapeau to all these fine young men, and the older ones too eg jedi

joshthebiker
    Free Member

Thanks for sorting out the photos
    yeah that is the drop in question in cheddleton heath. just trying to show the size.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘big scary gap jump in leek’ is closed to new replies.