Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Big race. Ride or quit?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Thirdly – why are you even on the internet? Get out training so you can open a massive can of whoop arse on them come race day.

On the road after work for 2 1/2 hours a night, felt knackered today so pootled on the turbos, but I will beat myself with a Birch branch and rub salt in my eyes to compensate.

lasty
    Free Member

Ride – and enjoy 8)
    As an organiser i know you cant please everyone and your entry is legit so dont be spooked by the moaners …
    You surrendering one entry wont appease anyone so just enjoy the ride, even by finishing last (im pressumingyou wont !!) you still beat the moaning minnies by getting an entry in on time – and as we all know, preparation is everything 8)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well done for helping out.

Also were they all expecting their invitation to participate to be hand delivered????

Know the guy who got 2nd at Oceania’s on Sport Mens XC – why because he entered and got himself there (only 2 did but he has the medal 🙂 ) Go enjoy and have fun.

aracer
    Free Member

It seems like those who think they are better racers already lost the qualifying race.

In any case, assuming the entry rules aren’t changing, what’s to say that the next rider on the waiting list (if there is one of those) isn’t slower than you anyway?

Onzadog
    Free Member

This self apointed “old guard” sound like the people/attitude that put me off road racing when I was 16. I’d not do them any favours. They’ll not thank you for it and in my experience (which is limited) they do the sport more harm than good.

Sandwich

Go ride and if the opportunity presents, TEAR THEIR LEGS OFF. 😀

BigJohn

To finish first – you must first finish. And before that – get your entry in.

If your club has gone out of its way to conceal the entry process by not publicising it in the usual places then you have reason to feel sheepish, otherwise you’ve as much right to enter as the next bloke.

A sight more right than some of the sponsored pay-drivers in F1.

oldgit
    Free Member

IIRC the dates went up around January on the LVRC website, stating entries via http://www.riderhq.com prefered. If not SAE with printed entry form.
    I entered March.

We have got police permission to up the numbers in each race from 80 to 100.
    As with all races there will be a good percentage of ‘no shows’ yet those having a hissy fit consider themselves to be above entering as a reserve, where there are places left in three of the four races.

I’ve always got a race when entered as a reserve. My last LVRC road race this year was attended by less than 50% of the entered riders.

****’em off out training.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve just been to have a look at the LVRC website, as I’m thinking about trying to race this season, and from the discussion on there I’m wondering if I’ve already left it too late to enter any races! There clearly is a big issue if races are filling up months in advance – I’d be racing A/B and have never raced LVRC, hence I’d be one of the “mainly among the A/B categories and consists of novice riders who have lots of money and being inspired by GBs success in 2012 are kitting themselves up to a professional standard and entering our events because they cannot hack it in BC races”. Which is a slightly bizarre comment, as if you’re in your early 40s you’re hardly going to be a “regular rider”. Though I’ve raced BC races many years ago, and won’t bother going out if I didn’t think I could hack it in those (finish in the bunch rather than win, but then I never used to win). I think the suggestion to open entries later is a good one to put off those who enter everything months in advance and then don’t turn up.

Not that that changes anything about what I said above – you haven’t done anything wrong, oldgit.

oldgit
    Free Member

Well the big days here.
    I don’t know what folk were worrying about as the field is star studded, I am the lowest of the low today.
    It’s going to be hard, even though racing has gone well this year, mostly top tens and one win. That said these guys beat me by a margin, and more often than not I’m well ahead of the next bunch. Too good for one and not good enough for the other.
    Race starts at 2pm, it’s going to be blistering.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

smash it!!!

njee20
    Free Member

If you’re not gonna win it, then attack early on – you’ll get into all the race reports anyway, and you may just make it work!

Wookster

Nice one chuffed your racing! Good luck mate!

Kuco

****’em and ride it. It may teach the moaning old gits to be a bit quicker in getting their entries in next time.

teethgrinder

spin like a boss!

solarpowered
    Free Member

Yay! Have a fabulous day and enjoy every minute of it! Go kick a**!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Do a Tommy, pop off the front, turn like a Dorset Knob, let your tongue flap like a Donkey, then roll over the line knowing you looked like a hero.

The very best of luck, enjoy and check your tan lines later..

😆

epicyclo

Good luck. Your fan club is cheering you on 🙂

epicyclo

Came back to the thread to see if you survived….

Did you? 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Sadly not. Royally outclassed and dropped.
    Strangely it wasn’t tough like I expected, it was the constant turning of the screw.
    I had expected to suffer on the two climbs each lap, but I was more than fine on those.
    There was a fast flat section were the group went single file every lap due to the pressure. I had a little incident there that caused a stall and the line just slipped away from me.
    Too many elites and 1st cats showing what they can do, it was the nationals after all.

Time to re assess, train harder and loose weight and try and step up a notch or kick back and enjoy regionals.
    Racing crits Tuesday and another road race Sunday, that’s regional so I’ll see how i do.

Todays 100k was a stroll in the park

mogrim

There was a fast flat section were the group went single file every lap due to the pressure. I had a little incident there that caused a stall and the line just slipped away from me.

Yeah, flat’s are harder – you drop off the pace and suddenly the guy in front is 10m away, 20, 30… On the climbs the advantage of being sat on someone’s wheel is a lot less, you’re going slower and the aerodynamic advantage is minimised.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Big race. Ride or quit?’ is closed to new replies.