Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Big race. Ride or quit?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I entered and got into the Vets national road race championships, so far so good.
    However entry was first come first served. Now a lot of the old guard are up in arms because they’ve not got in. And a fair few are complaining that riders like myself have no place in a championship, and that entry should be based on ‘quality’, the vets league doesn’t work on points like the BC.
    I was looking forward to this, but now it feels like I’ve gate crashed a party or poo’d on their lawn.

The child in me says I won’t bother hosting a road race of this stature ever again, and if they have a gripe, try orgainising more open road races like my little outfit.

FTR, I’m what you might call cannon fodder. I’m in the 50-55 age group (53) I finish about 10th in most crits, I finished 4th over 50 in the Central cyclo cross league and 19th overall in the Vets national CX.

Ride or pull and let better riders through?

nickhart
    Free Member

Sorry but I don’t see the question, you’re a human being in a free country. Live your life, you entered, ride and give the miserable gits the rods as you finish.

mt
    Free Member

RIDE! Give it full gas and enjoy the pain. Good luck.

Klunk
    Free Member

makes no difference to you I guess but might make it a hollow victory for the eventual winner if the best riders aren’t present.

fasthaggis

just grumpy old men init.

Just ignore them ,or tell them you are awsomes (age related)and will kick their tired old Rs 😀

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Firstly it seems those results more than validate an entry, everybody is cannon fodder except the winner.

Secondly its not your fault that you were organised and entered early.

Race, attack like your life depended on it, get lapped, then use all the hot water in the showers.

irelanst
    Free Member

I entered and got into the Vets national road race championships, so far so good.

The child in me says I won’t bother hosting a road race of this stature ever again

The only issue I can see is if I have interpreted the above correctly.

Are you (or your outfit) organising the race? If so, is this directly related to you being one of the first come first served? If so then I can see a bit of a conflict of interests.

If that isn’t the case, or it is and you can ride with a clear concience then go ahea. Just don’t get dropped on the first climb!

mt
    Free Member

Great advice Chef, love it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Poo on the lawn before the start?

Sour grapes for not being organised enough to enter promptly

fasthaggis

Race, attack like your life depended on it, get lapped, then use all the hot water in the showers.

Quality motto sir .. 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Our club is hosting the Championships. I’m in the lead car for the early races.
    A month after the event went up on ‘RiderHQ’ there were still places left so I just entered online, paid my dues and was in.
    RiderHQ doesn’t recognize you, only your money.
    Initialy I wasn’t going to enter as it was going to be a long day anyway.

irelanst
    Free Member

A month after the event went up on ‘RiderHQ’ there were still places left so I just entered online, paid my dues and was in.

I can’t see how anyone can have a problem then, your in fair and square. Go all out to bag the first prime then pootle round to collect your winnings 😉

convert

How do you think you’ll do? I’m assuming not well if you are posting about it. IMO there is nothing more soul destroying and pointless than riding a road race where you get dropped at the first acceleration or climb and then spend the remaining 90% of the event riding the course solo or buddied up with some other looser (in the literal rather than metaphoric sense!) with the main peleton so far up the road that all the spectators have packed up and gone home by the time you come through.

If that’s going to be you and you have a chance to pull out now I’d do it not because of the pressure from the big boys but because it’s no fun. If you have a chance of hanging on in there; hang on in there and take your rightful place at the start line.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to start racing mountain bikes and you wouldn’t get any of this stupid girlie bullsxxt
    Most likely the guys that can’t get entered will come and cheer you on as you wiz by.

Pieface

Even if you quit it will only allow one other rider to race which will make little difference to the results. There are always complaints about the race entry process by those who lose out whichever way its run.

asterix
    Free Member

Too much analysis and worry- just ride!

bikebouy
    Free Member

If I were you, I’d ride.

There are times in your life that you will never be able to repeat, this could be one of them. I mean how often will you get to organise and race in an event that you are organising? Don’t dull the day by looking back one day and say “I did all the hard boring work, but never got to ride out”.

You entered fair and square, for that reason you are entitled to ride.

Cap on, clip in.

oldgit
    Free Member

convert.
    Hard to say. If it goes hard from the gun, unlikely, then I might have a problem. It’s 62 miles, if I can stay with the bunch for the first 40 minutes then I’ll be okay. After that I’ll be able to mix it with the rest.
    Super hard from the gun is my weak point, though obviously a clever ride would help.
    Attrition and a reasonably good finish are my strong points.

paddyanddre1978
    Free Member

Ride and enjoy!!
    Really annoys me that just because people consider themselves the “old guard” it automatically exempts them from closing dates and first come first serve!!
    Your results seem pretty good to me and as swedish chef states more than qualify you for a shot!! Its what happens on the day that counts!!

All the best to you and good luck!!

FuzzyWuzzy

If you think you’ll enjoy then I’d keep your place, as has been said you didn’t get a place sneakily or anything. Personally though if I was helping out with other events in the morning I’d probably not bother trying to race in the afternoon but that’s me.

njee20
    Free Member

The Swedish Chef summed it up most eloquently. Do it.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If it’s 1st come 1st served then just crack on with it, if you were organised enough to enter on time any they weren’t then tough IMO. If they were that keen to ride and have been targeting it, they’d have entered early like yourself.

People seem to forget that it’s a free country, organisers can set rules and regs to their own events, if you match them, why not enter?

Btw, If in doubt, Lead out! 😉

IA

They’ve gotta be in a race to win it…if they can’t even get entered they’ve failed at the first hurdle. You’d think being 50+ they’d have got the hang of that by now, they’re big boys now, obviously not…

Ride!

thomthumb
    Free Member

Firstly it seems those results more than validate an entry

+1

A month after the event went up

a month. 😯 they’re throwing toys out the pram.

woody2000

It’s open entry, you entered & you got in, end of.

Those that think their “reputation” earns them a place in whatever race they want to ride in, but can’t be arsed to enter in good time, need to get their heads out of their asses! Definitely makes them sound like foot stamping, toy throwing, tantrumming toddlers 🙂

The Swedish Chef – ever considered motivational speaking? 🙂

mugsys_m8

Sweedish Chef has it perfectly and when you consider they had a month to enter….

However if it was me, I would put something in writing (e-mail) to the main organiser/ committee whatever, or maybe raise it in a minuted meeting outlining your personal dilemma in order to open a review process on how entries are allocated.

Anyway, sounds to me like you have a right to race on two counts:
    1. your results to date
    2. you were failry awarded an entry according to the entry conditions in this instance.

Go race, go hard.

woody2000

Oh, and good luck! 😀

stumpy01

paddyanddre1978 – Member
    Ride and enjoy!!
    Really annoys me that just because people consider themselves the “old guard” it automatically exempts them from closing dates and first come first serve!!

+1. It wasn’t like you jumped the queue.
    If it was me, I’d be digging my heels in at all their whinging and definitely doing it. Perhaps they will think a bit more in future & get their entries in.

wrecker
    Free Member

Standard answer to those who didn’t enter in time;
    “un****inglucky” 😀

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 ride in baggies 💡

Tom-B
    Free Member

What the Swedish Chef said! To me your results more than justify an entry-fair enough you’re probably not going to be amongst the strongest-ho hum!

servo
    Free Member

I take it this is LVRC?
    I personally don’t like the first come first served approach to race entries but it’s the organisations choice.

People should tell the LVRC if they don’t like the system, not you.

You’re doing the lead car for the early races. Lots of riders like to moan but go very quiet when it’s time to help out.

Everyone will forget about it, come race day.
    Have a good one!

oldgit
    Free Member

servo, that’s the boys. It seems they would like a qualifying race/races or something, well who’s gonna organize that then?

I know I can hold my own in my local races for my age, I’m one of the very few that actually race in races, but God knows how good the good guys are?

speckledbob
    Free Member

Isn’t there divisional championships anymore. “In my day” the first six where automatically entered. I may be wrong though.

Either way you’ve followed the rules and your helping out. Good on you. Where is it by the way?

oldgit
    Free Member

Near Leighton Buzzard, Stewkley, Wing and Soulbury.

No divisional Championships, are you thinking of British Cycling? Just the discipline champs and some series champs.

andyrm
    Free Member

Do the race.

Firstly – you’re not responsible for other racers’ lack of organisation in getting their entries in.

Secondly – they sound like pr!cks.

Thirdly – why are you even on the internet? Get out training so you can open a massive can of whoop arse on them come race day.

🙂

epicyclo

Old maxim:

Everyone has an arsehole, no-one needs another.

On that basis those whining would be entrants should not be made welcome.

drgalactus
    Free Member

So they’re complaining about racers who apparently aren’t as good as them getting the places, if they’re so fast why didn’t they apply in time then?

They can do one 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

I would ride you entered well after the entries went live its not your fault others didnt

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Go for it, they had the chance to enter long before you did. Truth is, they probably didnt want to enter because they arent good enough so left it late on purpose so the race was full and now they can moan and whinge to their hearts content. Would be hilarious if the organisers created a few more entries….

Chapeau!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Big race. Ride or quit?’ is closed to new replies.