Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Big no show at National Crit champs
  • oldgit
    Free Member

For the vets LVRC. 30% of those who entered didn’t show.
    There was outcry earlier in the year as places filled up so quickly using online methods. I posted about the National Road race champs, where so many had got in leaving some good riders without a place.
    But 30%, that’s massive. What would cause that? ‘it seemed a good idea in the pub’? the grim reality of racing actually hitting home? Closer to home I know of many that were planning to race this that and another, but have ended up doing very little or bugger all.

Is this happening in MTB XC racing?

Anyway at my last race we had a warning. Looks like entrants might be selected rather than just be entered on a first come first served basis if other over subscribed ‘big’ races are poorly attended.

Edric64
    Free Member

I think locally road races fill up I am marshalling the Colin Carfield memorial road race on Sunday which is 234vet race and that has loads of entries and in previous years nearly everyone has showed up

Diane
    Free Member

I think there should be a larger entry fee for these things – part refundable if you turn up then folk become more committed.

njee20
    Free Member

Being cynical… Why do organisers care if folk turn up? Charging more than refunding would cost them admin. If folk pay that’s all that matters to them, can’t see why they’d complicate it.

To the OP, no, it doesn’t happen in XC, you get the odd no show, but it’s certainly not common. Suited us anyway, it was one our of guys who won the race!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d guess its:
    Over exuberance in application.
    Over enthusiasm in application,
    Mates agree to enter, then one can’t make it leaving the other to choose to go on their own, or not bother.
    Clash with a family event the entrant didn’t know/care about until the day,
    Lack of pre training,
    Injury,
    Scaredypants at the last moment.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mid week evening race ?

perhaps work got in the way ?

Edric64
    Free Member

I would hate to organize an event and have few turn up .I put on an open time trial that had 79 entries if only 20 turned up I would have felt that the hard work of me and my marshals had been wasted

Speshpaul

non refundable until the cycling bubble bursts.
    Places allocated base on previous turn out – turning up last time gets you a place next time.

nellyp
    Free Member

I think one of the big “problems” is the popularity of cycling at the moment.

To enter many events in the last couple of years you have to plan six months in advance to guarantee a ride. For us middle aged gentlemen this can cause issues with

– Family events that crop up
    – work commitments that change
    – training that hasn’t gone to plan
    – injury

and many others, after all if your over 40 cycling doesn’t pay the bills and must come second to everyday life.

I fully understand how deflated the organisers must feel but with the limited capacity we have at these events i can’t see a way around this at the moment.

I notice though that the world and euro road races (Vets) are all EOL, this must work for them.

nickc

It’s not jus cycling. I help organise a 10k race for our club, places booked at paid for 298, runners on the day 254.

15% drop out rate.

Not massively bothered, but it would have been great to have 300 runners on the day.

ChrisF
    Free Member

For the vets LVRC. 30% of those who entered didn’t show.

As you get older, your memory gets much worse… perhaps they just forgot? :o)

oldgit
    Free Member

mid week evening race ?

Nope weekend race, National Championships as well. 81 riders not showing up 😯
    Also seen the news of a road race being canceled due to lack of interest. Yet the first races of the year are overfull.
    I think it’s a case of ‘newsflash….racing is hard’ There were lots of newcomers this year, but then the numbers dwindle down to the usual suspects.

Edit; How’ya doing Chris.

TiRed

I’m part of the Surrey Series and we get preferential entry to our own series. That said, the masters series I race in is turn up and get thrashed (E1234). Only 27 out of a field of 75 on a pay on the night race last week (rain).

30% not turning up suggests people entered early as it was too godd to miss, and plans changed (or illness). Too bad they couldn’t recycle places to people who might arrive on the day. Or keep a fixed number of places for on the line entry as people’s lives can be chaotic.

I don’t swallow the “it’s hard” argument. Find me a poorly turned out Cat 4 race this season… (please, I need the points 😆 )

oldgit
    Free Member

Find me a poorly turned out Cat 4 race this season… (please, I need the points )

Down MK Bowl Thursday nights. 40 minutes of racing and full points on offer. Seen races with just 12 in so almost guaranteed points.
    However it is looked down upon, as there’s a full hour 3/4/W/J race just after. Think a lot of ‘box tickers’ enter the short race.

Only 4 of the 80 contacted the organisers.

TiRed

My last race at MK bowl was a few months ago; Sat, 9AM, -1C and about 50 Cat4’s. Either they’ve all moved up or given up! My last Cat 4 race had 75 entries and it was anything but “Cat4” pace.

EDIT: 4/80 is appalling! But if they’d known their place could be recycled more might have called, I guess.

nellyp
    Free Member

Only 4 of the 80 contacted the organisers.

Oldgit, this statement is incorrect according to the LVRC website.

20 withdrew pre-closing
    22 withdrew with apologies between Race Program last Monday and race day
    28 were plain DNS on race day with no apologies
    ie. 70 DNS out of 234 on the start sheet in total = 30% – guys this is ridiculous.

It makes me wonder how all the races on the continent work, which are mainly EOL???

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Big no show at National Crit champs’ is closed to new replies.