Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Big Moor – Sheffield/Derbyshire area
  • muzzle
    Free Member

Anyone ever ride on Big Moor? Google Earth shows what looks to be a really well-defined track running from A625/B6054 junction (starting on White Edge Moor and running parallel-ish to the bridleway to White Edge Lodge) and continuing onto Big Moor along White Edge and past the trig point right down to Sheffield Rd (A621).

Parts of it are marked on the OS maps, albeit not as a right of way… has anyone here ever ridden it? I know Big Moor is fairly well-used by walkers despite the lack of rights of way – is it worth a trip on the bike? Ta.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve considered it but as it doesn’t lead to or from anywhere useful I’ve never done it.

FOG

There was a bit in one of the early Lescar meetings about the area. Apparently it is now owned by a consortium of the RSPB and er, somebody else greenish and they were talking about opening up tracks to bikes. You sometime see horses on there as they have been allowed for a while. However nothing more has been heard lately. A google of Eastern Moors Partnership might reveal more.
    Years ago when I was in the TRF there was a rumour that there had been loads of RoWs on Big Moor that had been traded away by the RA to the Chatsworth estate for walking routes on the estate. This is almost cerainly an anti rambler calumny but who knows? It seems a big area to have no bridle/vehicle routes.

18bikes

This is well worth a read for what’s happening with the Eastern Moors

http://www.ridesheffield.org.uk/2012/08/eastern-moors-latest/

muzzle
    Free Member

Useful replies, ta very much. I’ve previously read the update on Ride Sheffield, and that was what prompted me to ask the question in the first place. What’s the current legality of riding on there, anyone know? Talk of permissive bridleways suggests that riding on there at the moment, whilst not officially sanctioned, is largely tolerated… or am I hopelessly wide of the mark?

Is it actually worth the effort for a change of scene from my current riding round Totley Moor (which it conveniently links to), Blacka Moor etc? I’m not expecting any riding of the calibre of Blacka, but just wondered if it provided a decent bit of extra cross-country that I’ve not done before.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Big Moor – Sheffield/Derbyshire area’ is closed to new replies.