Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Big lad, skinny rims. Advice needed
  • ninepack
    Free Member

I’m just about to give Orange back the Five 29 I’ve had on demo. I’ve made my decision and will be having one but I fear the rims just won’t be strong enough for me. I’m 15 stone 6 and up to now have ridden a Patriot with bomb proof DH rims which for most would be overkill but I think are about right for me.

The Five 29 has Mavic XM319 rims which look really delicate to me and I swear I can feel them flexing under my weight on jumps & lumpy stuff. Orange don’t seem to have a wheel set upgrade but I’ll ask when I go back with the demo. Any advice/suggestions on rims that may be better?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Stans Flow or Arch EX might be a better bet if they do a Hope Hoops upgrade?

ninepack
    Free Member

They look considerably more substantial, and though it’s not essential, they look good too. I’ll ask at the shop tomorrow. Thank you 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

If going stans the go straight to the Flow, arch seems daft on a bike like that. Personally id get the hubs built onto some of the LB carbon rims, they are getting rave reviews, ill be getting a set over winter to build up for my 29er.

roverpig

If Orange wont upgrade the wheels then you could probably build up your own Five29 from a frame cheaper than the Orange price. I’d echo the Hope hoops suggestion. Arch Ex 29er seem stiff enough to me, but I’m “only” 11 and a half stone and don’t jump much, so maybe Flow Ex would be a safer bet.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the Five29 too.

igm

16st.

Flow Hoops on my Alpine are fine.
    Bespoke Flows on ProIIs are fine on my rigid 29er.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Some of those 30mm internal width carbon rims if you can get them in 29’er size. If not, flows

Northwind

The test bike I had was noticably wriggly, it wasn’t just the wheels mind, the swingarm was typically Orangely unstiff… But the wheel build was not great, the 319s are decent enough rims but not in that package. It had formula hubs too, surprisingly- nothing wrong with them really but a bit stingy at the price, I’d just assumed it’d be Hope tbh, considering it’s Orange.

Hmm, so what am I actually saying… Er, 1, you might not need to go up massively in overall strength/might to get the stiffness you want, a better build will make a big difference. But 2, I don’t think it’ll ever feel that stiff.

ninepack
    Free Member

Some interesting points there guys, thank you. I’ll be discussing this with the shop or Orange directly. I can’t see them refusing a requested upgrade just because it isn’t on the standard list.

A self build isn’t really on the cards for me just yet, as I’m not confident enough to match it all up well enough. Still a bit of a noob.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But 2, I don’t think it’ll ever feel that stiff.

I remember reading your review Northwind, I think you used you quote for the word Flexi for the next 3 years in it.

ninepack
    Free Member

The five 29 on the whole though I was very impressed with. It’s quick, very quick and that’s a good thing when I’m trying to keep up with my missus (she’s a blood whippet on the climbs). I can can throw it about every bit as much as a 26 so that’s the real test for me. If you’re more technically proficient than me, and most are, then who knows.

roverpig

Thanks. Although, if you can wheelie/manual a 29er with 455mm chainstays (which is what I assume you mean by “throw it around”) then I’d say that you are more technically proficient than most 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Im 16 stone and Have never destroyed a rim .Mavic 119s survived for 5 years from new ,the hubs gave out first.All I have ever done is wear through the braking surface to kill rims

mikewsmith
    Free Member

11st and wrote of 521’s 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

I must keep my wheels on the ground too often!!

shortcut

The rims should be fine. Stick with the originals until you break them.

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

I remember reading your review Northwind, I think you used you quote for the word Flexi for the next 3 years in it.

It’s true enough though 😉 Just an orange trait, even with the 12mm axles the swingarms aren’t stiff. I quite like it tbh, but some folks really like stiff bikes and might not appreciate it. But when it gets to the point of rubbing the wheels into the frame, that’s not too good!

(I have now overused the word “stiff” to compensate, hope you like it)

ninepack
    Free Member

Well, I placed the order today. Your comments really helped were food for thought. I had an attack of wuss & played the safe card rather than waiting to see if the rims could take my weight on big stuff. Had a very helpful lad at Leisure Lakes give me his take on the rims. They couldn’t do the Stans but I opted for a set of Mavic Crossmax which look up to the job. They aren’t on the Orange upgrade options but the shop are keeping the standard wheels & upgrading for me (as well as putting Maxxis HR2’s on them too) & I’ve just paid the difference. I’m impressed with that, as they’ve now got a set of 319’s they need to sell but I guess it’s worth it to do the deal or they would’ve said no.

Now I gotta wait a week or so for the new bike… My Patriot will keep me going in the meantime. I’ve decided to keep it & use it as a guinea pig for getting used to taking bits apart & seeing if I can rebuild it again without having bits left over.

Having only had the Patriot up to now I was interested to hear that they are often ‘flexible’. Turns out my Patriot is a 2002 frame (according to Orange). It was made when they used train tracks & bits off suspension bridges so it’s got no lateral flex whatsoever. It weighs as much as the moon though so that’s the pay off & I guess why they’ve whittled them down over the years.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the advice.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Big lad, skinny rims. Advice needed’ is closed to new replies.