Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Big fire in Edinburgh just now (8.30 Thursday)
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Looking from Colinton across in the direction of Corstorphine Hill there’s a huge flame lighting the sky. Anyone know what it is?

Swelper
    Free Member

Armageddon

Rorschach
    Free Member

Al fitting his new disc mount?

Drac

TJ signal burning out?

hilldodger
    Free Member

TJ has re-entered Earth’s atmosphere…..

allthepies
    Free Member

Sure it’s not the TJ Bat Signal ?

studioderm
    Free Member

it will be Mossmorran oil refinery in fife. Happens quite often.

kennyp
    Free Member

Not Mossmoran, it’s nearer to us than Corstorphine Hill. Mossmoran is a lot further away.

chickenman

Yup, can see Mossmorran oot ma windae ‘n it’s geeing it laldy the nicht!!

glupton1976
    Free Member

It’s mossmorran. Never seen it as bright.

kennyp
    Free Member

Oooops, obviously my eyes are getting old. Apologies to the bloke who first suggested Mossmoran. In umpteen years though I’ve never seen it that bright.

glupton1976
    Free Member

It’s so bright that folk walking dogs round inverleith park are stopping to take photos of it…

piemonster

Photos please

I know what you’re talking about though. Seen it pretty impressive when out night running in the Lomonds.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’s just over the hill from me. Pops out for a look……

Gordy
    Free Member

Went for a run in the park and thought there was a fire as well. Looks very close. Plant maybe temporarily shut down for some reason so burning more off than usual?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I sometimes see this right on the horizon as I drive home on the A977. It can be like a second setting sun. It does seem to have been much more noticable this winter.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

….if I hadn’t heard it was Mossmorran, I’d have thought the stables were on fire.

There was an incident there a month or so back. We could see the glow from the far side of the Lomonds.

br
    Free Member

Its Salmond, he’s realised that he won’t win the vote, so he’s going to make sure that there is nothing left for the English.

chickenman

I think there’s been a boy scout jamboree over at Loch Gelly..they’ve had the beans, now they’ve got the matches out..

cdaimers

I have someone that is supposed too be on the wind farm behind mossmoran tomorrow and we cannot get on due too the levels of benzine on the site… They must be burning off a hell a lot of stuff.

martymac

its an immense sight, i have seen it as far away as the kincardine bridge before, on a cloudy night.

Northwind

It’s Sauron.

Not the brightest I’ve seen it but pretty impressive! When there’s low clouds to catch the light it can look quite, quite mad.

banks
    Free Member

Photos please I’m on nightshift!

steeble
    Free Member

Pretty bright from just beside corstorphine hill. Thought iot might have been the refinery at braefoot, surprised its so bright from mossmorren

dazzlingboy

Photos please. Cannae be arsed opening the curtains.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Some googling has resulted in

Elevated Flaring at FEP

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Just had the dog out for his last wee, tis indeed the Eye of Mordor, always impressive if a bit sinister

edlong
    Free Member

Loving that announcement Piedi. “Process Upset”, must remember that phrase next time I cock something up. Also loving that there’s no risk to anyone… But they’ve notified the emergency services?

EDIT: They have “normal emergency procedures!!” I wonder if they also have procedures for abnormal emergencies?

Smudger666

Yup – mossmorran from ma hoose is lighting the sky!

Told the kids when they were younger it was the fire-breathing dragon of mossmorran – was quite amusing until the teacher called me in to discuss why I had scared half the class of primary1 kids!

piffpaffpoff
    Free Member

I don’t think i have ever seen it as big or bright as it is tonight, and I’ve lived near it since it was built.

chris_db
    Free Member

Major gas escape apparently, being vented through the stack flare.

Northwind

Smoky too. Looks brilliant now… Gateway into hell.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Pictures needed!!!!

onehundredthidiot

Was still burning bright on teh way in this morning. WHen you can see it from Middleton Moor you know it’s bright.

Drac

IMG_2051-500 by AdrianMaricic, on Flickr

konabunny
    Free Member

Also loving that there’s no risk to anyone… But they’ve notified the emergency services?

Presumably so that they know that there’s nothing to worry about even though well-meaning punters are calling up about the big yellow thing on the horizon.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I could see it from my house this morning and it does look brighter than usual.

Northwind

Always wondered how we can’t do something more useful with it (and with other flare stacks). we’re burning it anyway, could we not balance a wee steam generator on the stack or something?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Big fire in Edinburgh just now (8.30 Thursday)’ is closed to new replies.