Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • big comfy rollable touring tyre? (not schwalbe)
  • ton

any idea’s for a big comfy easy rolling touring tyre?
    don’t want schwalbes…I know they are tough and hardwearing, but I want something else.

38c or bigger.

Sam

Assume you are talking 700? Panaracer Pasela? Why don’t you want Schwalbes?

ton

yes 700c.
    used schwalbes for year…..far too heavy and dead feeling for commuting.
    I will get shot down for saying that I know, but I want something that rolls a bit easier and a bit more supple.
    mending punctures is a good excuse for a rest…. 😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Pasela is light, but not tough, I think.

jameso

37/42C Conti Contacts are pretty good, tough enough for flinty/thorny lanes but not armour-casing kind of feel.

steezysix
    Free Member

I used the Conti sport contacts in 37mm for riding in Belgium and Holland this summer – nice and cushioned, roll really fast and not a single puncture (700km of riding). No tread to speak of but were OK on rougher paths, bit sketchy on sand.

stevemakin
    jameso

I forgot about sport contacts, used the 1.3s for my first road tour in france, on a converted MTB. Really quick tyres.

fasthaggis

I use these Vittoria on my commute/tourer/winter bike .
    I likes em.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, I’d agree with Steve.. It was his advice that made me get some for my Vaya..

And Tim has them in stock at Sideways…. 🙂

RustySpanner

Panaracer T-Serv are great, if you can find them.

Like a tougher Pasela, marketed at messengers but they make a great touring tyre.

Last for bleeding ages too, far nicerto ride than Marathons.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I do remember the Pasala feeling lovely.

Maybe try some Panaracer then, ton?

irc

Which Schwalbes did you have? Schwalbe Marathon Supremes are fairly light and fast while still being almost puncture proof. One puncture between California and Florida.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Continental sport contact, 32c’s on my commuter/tourer and I actually think they’re better than the 4seasons they replaced.

Cheep to boot, which considering the 4seasons fell apart is a good thing!

Sam

Same question as irc – which Schwalbes? The Marathon Supremes are very nice – light, supple, fast rolling and grippy.

MSP

And the marathon supremes can be run tubeless for an even bigger portion of win.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Ton.. How big? Don’t rule out the schwable big apples! These are my favourite tyres of all time … Roll brilliantly, loads of volume so very comfy ride, kevlar reinforced and not had a single puncture in 400 miles so far (used for 22 mile round trip commute).

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Oh and currently set up tubeless too!

ton

schwalbe i have are the marathon xr things. weigh over a kilo each… 😆

bought and fitted some conti contact 42c tyres…the seem to roll nice, we will se how durable they are over the next 6 months of sunshine commuting… 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I have a few XRs, they’re suited to Afghanistan or Bolivia or something.

Where do you live??!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Schwalbe do make other tyres than the Marathon plus, some of which roll well, and are even used by racing types.

ton

Al…..tyres used by racing types are not suitable for a 18stone+ gent on a beer tour.

downshep

Loving the Conti City Contacts on the Ute. 700 x 47 of cushioned loveliness that roll surprisingly well. Can take up to 80psi for tarmac use, comfier at 60ish. Never had a p******** (safety system banding) and they are fine for gravel roads, towpaths etc. Need a bit of frame / fork space to fit though, worth checking clearances.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ton – Member
    Al…..tyres used by racing types are not suitable for a 18stone+ gent on a beer tour.

Of course not, my point is they are bound to make something in between

Barteos
    Free Member

Schwalbe makes some of the best commuting/touring tyres on the market.
    Apart from Marathon Pluses and some basic cheap stuff, most of them aren’t “dead and heavy”.

For easy rolling combined with good puncture protection you can go for e.g. Kojaks, Marathon Racers, Supremes, Big Apples or Supermotos.

They key to a nice and fast ride is also not overinflating the tyres (which people love doing, thinking they are going faster).
    E.g. for a 12.5 stone bloke, rear 35mm tyre only needs 60-70PSI, 38-40mm only 55-60PSI. Front tyres need even less than that.

psykx

I’d recommend continental gatorskins. I use these on my fixed gear and they didn’t wear out after 18 months of riding everyday. Although I use schwalbe marathons on my current mtb day to day bike.

luddite
    Free Member

I’m using 2″ Big Apples, on a 26″ wheeled tourer and rolling downhill I keep up with my mate on his Boardman hybrid (a lot lighter bike) shod with 700 x 28’s.

qwerty
    Free Member

Ha, I’ve just switched to 35mm LandCruisers with puncture protection on my CX bike as giving my aging knees a rest from the SS (Hutchinson Pythons), I wonder who’ll be deader, the tyres or tired old me!

smokey_jo

Specialized Boroughs come in 700 x 42. I’m running them on my monstercross which does mainly road work and yes they roll slower than a 700 x 25 but they are plenty tough enough for most green lanes / tracks / towpath type stuff.

epicyclo

I recommend the Big Apples too. Really free rolling, supple, and comfortable.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘big comfy rollable touring tyre? (not schwalbe)’ is closed to new replies.