Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Big clearance cheap 29er FS? (650B+ content)
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Today’s daydream…any cheap full suss 29er framesets around with big clearance that would take 650B+?

leegee

Used Turner Sultan.

flange
    Free Member

Spearfish? There’s one in the classifieds thats been there for ages but from memory its a medium. Either way, would make an awesome 650b+

cokie

Would the Kona Satori work? I’ve read that they have big rear clearance.

letmetalktomark

I’m confident my Trance 29er will take B+ tyres.

Watch this space …

scotroutes

Spearfish has a low BB already? You’d want to check out the effect of making it even lower with a 650×2.8″ tyre

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is there much difference in tyre height?

scotroutes

I didn’t think so until I went through a mtbr thread which had a good photo showing the difference. On the road at the moment but I will try to find it for you later

Are you planning to run 1x gearing too?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s all a daydream druid, no plans!

takisawa2

Depepnds on rim width IMO…

I fitted a WTB 2.8″ x 27.5″ to a 30mm rim at the weekend, to run at the back of my 29+ fronted SIR.9.
    About 14mm smaller on diameter than the 29″ x 2.35″ Ralph on a TN719.
    Width wise…WTB is is 60mm. Ralph was 57mm.
    Running the tape measure from outer rim edge, up over the tyre, the Ralph was 160mm, the 650b+ WTB 170mm. For comparison, the 29+ Knard on a Dually rim is 190mm.

Definitely needs at least 35mm plus rim width IMO.
    Have seen reports that the WTB 2.8″ x 27.5″ on a 45mm Scraper rim sits at 70mm width, but not seen it in the flesh. Loathe to spend £110 on the rim to find it doesn’t clear the stays on my SIR.9 (70mm spacing). The Blunt 35mm might be a safer bet.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t think rim width can affect tyre height, only width.

rOcKeTdOg

Single pivot frames “should” work, i.e. orange gyro/5-29er but it’s more the height of the tyre than the width & a tyre-seat tube interface I’d be worried about. Interesting idea though

Rim width not so important, I can get a dually 29er 45mm rim in the back of my old singular with a 2.4 ardent easily but with a chronicle on it rubs the seat tube, it’s all about height really. Which 29er FS has adjustable drop outs for wheelbase lengthening? I can’t think of any

cynic-al
    Free Member

Chronicle is 29+ no?

This is about 650b+.

jameso

Loathe to spend £110 on the rim to find it doesn’t clear the stays on my SIR.9 (70mm spacing)

All depends where that 70mm point is – the tread of the 2.8 WTB is only ~60mm. The widest point is closer to the axle than a 2.4″ 29er tyre also.
    OD is 725mm.

rOcKeTdOg

Chronicle is 29+ no?

Yep but the clearance issue as an example applies I think

cynic-al
    Free Member

The height being 1.5″ smaller on 650B+, I’d disagree.

jimplops

They fit in the back of a codiene,just building mine up as b+

rOcKeTdOg

Is that the WTB tyre? certainly be interesting to test it

jimplops

Yep, not on the scraper rim, mounted on Ryde enduro, plenty of clearance, will post pics once finished and got rear wheel to reseal, think I need to retape it as that one goes down over night but front OK.

swanny853

Hmmm, now I’ve been and had a look at the clearance on my meta 29 I’m a little tempted to order a wtb i25, stick it on a hub and see what happens. The tightest fit areas are more due to tyre height than width- a 2.4 ardent on 23mm internal rims takes the paint off the seatube (but no more) but there’s a fingers with of clearance at the sides

Bigmantrials

There is a thread somewhere on MTBR about a couple of guys trying 650B+ in a Hammerhead Thumper/switchback Unveil/Kona Satori frames, worth a search as the the Thumper and Unveil frames can be had for around £600,a bargain considering how well they ride.

STATO
    Free Member

Swanny, is your commencal the META AM29 or something else? interested in your thoughts on it (and its ability to go 27.5+). Ta.

My spearfish 29er has enough room for a 29×2.5 in the back with space to spare, reckon you could get something big in the back, as mentioned the BB is quite low but its not bad. Its short travel so factor in sag and its probably higher than many of the long travel frames.

swanny853

STATO, yes, it’s the AM29, the last but one model of the frame. I think they made some year on year tweaks (3 years total?), losing a bit of weight at a time.

It’s got a pike, some reasonably solid wheels (WTB freq i23s) and big tyres. It’s a bit of a tank to accelerate (or climb any distance) but you get used to not trying to sprint it places and just get on with it. Once you get it up to speed it actually feels quite sprightly to chuck about, which I think is a result of it being really quite stiff. You do feel you have to throw the big tyres around quite hard at first but not as much as I had expected. A an ex-downhiller friend who borrowed it said it gave a similar sort of feeling of high speed stability to a DH bike. I can’t comment!

Once you get it up to speed it will continue to go very, very fast until you chicken out or run out of talent. Largely wasted at home in the south east, it needs rocks and hills- trips to Wales and Scotland, great. Basically I like it, it’s a lot of fun!

As for B+ I ‘think’ the width might be OK, probably not on properly wide rims though. The major constraint would be the tyre height, as I said a 2.4 ardent on a 23mm internal rim brushes the seat tube at full compression and there is a cigarette papers width between the tyre shoulder and the bend in the driveside chainstay (disc side is fine). A smorgasbord seems to have a bit more room though. I’d need to get some proper measurements to check.

I’ve probably gone on a bit- if you want any more on the bike itself ping me an email.

STATO
    Free Member

Much appreciated, been eyeing one for a while but the while B+ things is something im keen (i have other 29ers id use B+ wheels in too) so nice to know if they would fit a Meta. Other option is to just get a 6Fattie and pair of 29er wheels, but I very much dislike the amount of money that would cost!

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m after similar

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/does-this-exist-hardtail-thatll-take-fatish-wheels-and-normal-ones

At the moment I’m reckoning a Swift, Parkwood or waiting for 2016 bikes are out when they’ll be common as muck.

nemesis
    Free Member

RD – which Swift have you got – straight or curvy stay?

rOcKeTdOg

mk1 straight

nemesis
    Free Member

Hmm… that’s what I have… How wide is the 2.4 Ardent? I’ve been looking at 650b wheels with fat (2.8+) tyres but 2.4 may be wide enough. It’d save me getting a new frame…

rOcKeTdOg

Sam reckons a B+/2.8 won’t fit the straight stay

nemesis
    Free Member

No and he’s right on that – measured mine at around 70mm max space between the (chain) stays so 60mm would be about the widest I reckon would go safely.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Just found this thread. Although a Hugo52 with a Trailblazer is a fraction wider than the Scraper/Blazer combo, it doesn’t fit in a Spearfish.

singlespeedstu

it’s all about height really.

You’ve not even tried fitting different + tyres yet have you?
    I’ve been trying a few different combos in a couple of so called B+ compatible frames via an LBS and the results are not what some manufactures tell you…

Mbnut
    Free Member

Transition Bandit

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve been trying a few different combos in a couple of so called B+ compatible frames

Which frames/tyre/rims?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Big clearance cheap 29er FS? (650B+ content)’ is closed to new replies.