Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Big bike
  • alexottaway
    Free Member

Hi

I’m 6’2 currently riding a 05/06 Scott genius 19″

The trouble I’m having is when I raise the seat post to suit
    My height I end up hanging over te rear axle

I’m now looking for a new full susser ideally to suit the larger rider

If anyone had suggestions about which bike ride nicely for a taller gent
    That would be great. I’ve been down my local bike bike shops
    And they both recommend a 29er. I’m open to suggestions maybe hoping someone
    With some experience in the field may be able to help me out

Cheers Alex

Dunno about the 05/06, but my mates more recent Genius has a ridiculous seat tube angle and he is the same.

Most ‘normal’ bikes will be fine – just don’t buy a Maverick

I_Ache
    Free Member

Bike shops all seem to recommend 29ers these days. What type of riding do you do?

What you need to look for is a much steeper seat angle than what you currently have, something around 72/73° is about right. My old fs had a reasonably slack seat angle and while only 6ft I ended up with the same result as you. My current one is much steeper and as such is a lot better for climbing despite other design features that would make it harder.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m 6ft 2 & ride 19″ hardtail and a large Santa Cruz superlight 29er such actually measures 19.5 but is .5″ shorter on the top tube, I don’t feel over the rear axle on either. At your(our) height I’d deffo look at 27.5/29.

alexottaway
    Free Member

I will be mainly riding trails and a bit of harder downhill which I why ideally I would like 140mm up top. Will a 29er affect me hard into the corners is it something I will get used to? Climbing is a serious slog at the moment I keep thinking I’m gonna fall off the back of the bike!

I’ve had a look at a specialized camber and stumpy also a whyte m109

steve_b77
    Free Member

Doesn’t quite compute that, “trails & harder DH, would like 140mm” been looking at a 100mm XC race bike and a 110mm trail bike 😕

I reckon you should have a look at the trance x, norco killer b etc, more AM focused bikes than XC IMHO

rOcKeTdOg

My riding buddy just ordered a heckler, 27.5″ 150mm of travel looks ace & might be worth looking at, he’s 6ft5

ddmonkey

If you can get a 2011 XL Spec Enduro frame then you will find its a great fit. But sadly due to the new wheel fashions Spec don’t make it in XL any more.

alexottaway
    Free Member

They were just a couple of bikes I had looked at briefly yesterday. None of which had 140mm travel that I’d ideally like. Whilst the majority of the time I will be riding trails I just don’t want to limit myself with 100-120mm if I wanna ride something harder

I_Ache
    Free Member

What’s your budget? Will it stretch to a stumpy evo 29er?

Doesn’t quite compute that, “trails & harder DH, would like 140mm” been looking at a 100mm XC race bike and a 110mm trail bike

One man’s hard DH is another man’s flat boring trail. Maybe he finds it hard but is realistic about what bike he needs. If that is the case still look at the stumpy 29er just not the evo version.

alexottaway
    Free Member

My budget is around the 2k mark. I could push the boat out a bit further maybe 2500

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Big bike’ is closed to new replies.