Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Big Bike Bash – Did you go last year and what is it like?
  • satsoma
    Free Member

I'm considering taking my friends (plus little ones) to the Big Bike Bash in the New Forest but not really sure what it's about…

Can anyone who went last year give me a quick run down? Had a look at the website, but want to hear any reviews of people that actually went!

Help and advice much appreciated…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A real family event. Low key, relaxed, no huge crowds, do as much or as little as you like, have a laugh, chill out, good bands, superb beer!
    Something for everyone to take part in basically, and where they got those great prizes from beats me!
    I'm going again

davemcc43

Last year was brilliant.

Loads of kids playing on bikes.
    Loads of adult playing on bikes.
    Beer.
    Swimming.
    Camping.
    Lake Jumping.

I've been going to biking events for well over a decade and I'd say it's the best event I've ever been to and I can't wait to do it all again!

DAVE

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    satsoma
    Free Member

I've been going to biking events for well over a decade and I'd say it's the best event I've ever been to

Blimey, that's high praise indeed!!

I'm a newbie and I've never actually raced at an event before…is it really competitive?

DezB
    Free Member

This has to be Nick with another login, right!!?

It was brilliant though. I'm not sure who's looking forward to it the most, me or my 7 year old!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm a newbie and I've never actually raced at an event before…is it really competitive

Not really no. Not like a 'proper' XC race anyway. It's all for fun. There's loads of stuff like the Trailer Bike Challenge – Very short course where parents race in pairs towing their kids, Bunnhop competion, Trackstand competition, a short night race, short drag (sprint) racing etc.
    🙂

satsoma
    Free Member

This has to be Nick with another login, right!!?

Erm, nope – I'm a girl! TBH, that's why I'm a bit worried about the races…it seems that all racing is really male dominated and I don't want to be pootling away at the bike with people poiting and laughing at me!!

Racing with kids sounds good though, thanks PP!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I suspect it's actually some sort of weird Pagan festival, and all this is just to lure unsuspecting folk in so that they can be used as Human sacrifice.

Big Bike Bashers offer up prayers as they prepare for the Lake Jump:

satsoma
    Free Member

Big Bike Bashers offer up prayers as they prepare for the Lake Jump

Hmmm, looks like fun…

thomthumb
    Free Member

Erm, nope – I'm a girl! TBH, that's why I'm a bit worried about the races…it seems that all racing is really male dominated and I don't want to be pootling away at the bike with people poiting and laughing at me!!

it's probebly the best event to try a race then last year there were loads of people who had never raced a bike before and some who hadn't riden in a few years joining in on the racing.

the nice thing about the bash is it is not centred around racing; it's more about fun.

luke
    Free Member

I run the beer tent so am a little biased.
    But last year we managed to get a pr girl on a bike as well as doing her pr for mybrewerytap.
    The racing is as serious or relaxed as you want, I wonder how many men in drag were going to get this year in the women's classes?

rOcKeTdOg

I'll be honest and I'm sure Nick would agree, it was a bit unorganised but in a great weekend away with friends type way, no egos, no one taking it seriously, lots of smiles and riding About on bikes

I'd go again if I wasn't already away that weekend

satsoma
    Free Member

the nice thing about the bash is it is not centred around racing; it's more about fun

This makes me happy, I feel like I won't be judged!!

I run the beer tent

Aha, the beer! Is there a fair amount of drinking in the evening or does everyone sidle back to their tents??

DezB
    Free Member

The only thing that's judged is the Malt Loaf eating contest. The rest is all fun!

Trailer Bike Challenge – Very short course where parents race in pairs towing their kids
    You can tell PP wasn't in that race. It was SERIOUS! I would be getting my revenge this year but my boy won't ride the trailerbike anymore 🙁

soma_rich
    Free Member

You can tell PP wasn't in that race. It was SERIOUS! I would be getting my revenge this year but my boy won't ride the trailerbike anymore

Mine either 🙁 he made me sell it

DezB
    Free Member

No rematch then! 🙂

davemcc43

Rumours of cheating going on in the Parent and Child Tag-along Championship 2009 were strenuosly denied by all involved.

DAVE

DezB
    Free Member

See, told you it was SERIOUS!

(Wondered where those pics had got to! Satsoma – just look Here 🙂 )

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That's not a small child; that youth is at least 15!

satsoma
    Free Member

Okay, you've all convinced me!! This looks like great fun and I will be buying my ticket this evening 🙂

Although I may need to find a very light child…anyone got a tag-along they want to lend me? 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Certainly have… seriously?

satsoma
    Free Member

Are you lending me a small child?!

clubber
    Free Member

Isn't that the event where the troll formerly known as Fred sh@t himself?

Sounds crap to me…

luke
    Free Member

There is a fair bit of drinking in the evenings for those that want/need it. But if you want to go back to your tent then it's up to you, this year there will be takeaway cartons for beer, so if you want to go back to your tent with a couple of pints then your welcome to.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Hi
    Please come and bring friends. We have a new childrens track that is still short but a little more challenging than last years. We will still run last years track as well. We also have a fleet of push a long bikes for those too young to pedal to borrow

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Isn't that the event where the troll formerly known as Fred sh@t himself?

Sounds crap to me…

Only on the feeble minds of people who weren't there and don't actually have the first idea of what happened. 😉
    Those of us that do know (And we're talking single figures here) have never breathed a word of it to anyone. I know this becasue nobody's ever got close to what actually happened, even though they may think they have…… 🙂

What happens at BBB, stays at BBB. :mrgreen:

Muke
    Free Member

It was great fun last year, a bit mad at times but a cracking weekend for all the family.

BBB photos n quotes

BBB If you're not there

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I can't believe she has admitted being female and no one has tried to hit on her or asked for pictures.

The standards of STW are slipping

DrP

I will admit, I was in fact a hinderence to rich in the trailer challenge – the goatee caused too much turbulence, and my wet shoes were far too draggy…..

I tell you though, If I can make it this year, I may wear the gift MrsPoddy purchased for me for the alps…….

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

Are you lending me a small child?!

I have a spare trailerbike I can bring. And I know a place where a small child can be found.
    If you need either, let me know 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

I can't believe she has admitted being female and no one has tried to hit on her or asked for pictures.

she posted pictures on here a while ago, some of the more fragile members passed away with the excitement if i remember*

*lots of satsoma-very a-peel-ing jokes to iirc

singletrackmind

The racing is fun , and is as serious as you want it to be. There is always something going on. plus Zip wire , climbing wall , cakes , beer , music , cakes , riding ( there will be cakes there Nick ? ) beer , boats and an airshow.

clubber
    Free Member

PP Fred told me what happened. I was just throwing out the hook since it seems he's back 😉

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Cake Stall confirmed for this year

shortcut

Cake and beer. Defo looking forward to it now!

satsoma
    Free Member

Cake stall??!

I have purchased my tickets 😀 and look forward to getting drunk with you all.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Big Bike Bash – Did you go last year and what is it like?’ is closed to new replies.