Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Big backpack for biking
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I currently have a six or so year old North Face Hammerhead backpack, the same as this one. It’s great – in fact apart from a few snapped bits of plastic that I never use there’s nothing wrong with it.

Except, of course, there is. It’s just not big enough for all the stuff I want to put in it sometimes. I think it has about a 9l cargo capacity, and by the time I’ve got in a jacket, tools, pump, sandwiches, banana, Snickers, emergency peanuts, spare tube, wallet keys and phone it’s about full. That doesn’t leave me much space to put camera, couple of lenses, couple of flash guns and triggers and maybe a mini tripod or gorillapod.

I know, I could carry less, but I don’t want to. So I’m looking at other bigger bags. The caveat is that they HAVE to be available from Evans, and they really need to be less than £100.

So, which of these should I go for?

Osprey Raptor 18 – Pretty big, comes with a bladder, gets great reviews. But should I get something even bigger so it’s not close to the North Face?

Osprey Escapist 25 – much bigger, 25l could be very useful. Would be useful for long day walks and possibly even overnight bothy trips at a push, certainly if I strap stuff to the bike too.

Deuter Trans Alpine 30 – Even bigger!

Vaude Alpine 35 – HUGE! About the limit of what I’d want on a bike, I think. These last couple do come in different sizes too.

Vaude Tracer 28l – Looks good, but I’m not too sure about the small opening.

Anyone have any thoughts about the above? Own one?

flyingmonkeycorps

Nobody have any experience with any of these?

Wozza
    Free Member

All of the Osprey packs i’ve seen are, in my opinion, a bit rubbish. They’re flimsy, not very waterproof and the hydration seems like an afterthought.

Why not get a Camelbak HAWG and have a bladder too??

£70 at merlin, Evans should be able to price match.

Merlin Clicky

Evans Clicky

29ers
    Free Member

I have a Camelbak HAWG and used it a lot over the last year – highly recommended especially at those prices!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I´m using the Escapist 25. I think it´s a great pack for mountain biking. It certainly isn´t flimsy! I´ve thrown one around the mountains and back of my van for the last year and it´s looking brand new. I love it. The problem for biking is that there´s no straps for your armour, I use a seperate strap which works well but is an afterthought. I think that all the Osprey stuff is really well made and thought out. The bladder works really well too and is better than any other bladder I´ve tried.

Here´s my longer version of that.
    Osprey Escapist 25 Bike Pack Review
    Osprey Bladder compared to Dakine and Camelback Hydration Packs

I hope that it helps.

JasonDS

Another +1 for osprey. I have the Momentum 34 and it’s been used most days for over a year.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Camelbak HAWG NV £75 from Merlin?

Ditto 29ers – I’d snap one up if I didn’t already have one

Tracey

Kevin has a Deuter Futura 28 which is huge

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers guys, some helpful comments there. Swaying towards getting something bigger, plus there’s something about the Hawg I’m not keen on… It’s just a bit ugly looking! But then so am I…

Tracey – Cutgate?

Tracey

Yes it was dry for once. I have the smaller 22 which is still big

flyingmonkeycorps

Yep, that looks more like the Cutgate I know, not been up there in ages!

Having read Doug’s reviews I think I’m just about sold on the Escapist, it sounds pretty much ideal.

ktmblag
    Free Member

Take a look at the montane packs well made and super comfy theres anaconda 18l, cobra 25l or Medusa 32l

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I bought a deuter ‘superbike’ bag in 1998 – and its still alive and well. great bag well made, although I did replce the zip about 5 years ago.

If they still produce bags of that quality I would definitely recommend them.

flyingmonkeycorps

The Montane does look nice, but Evans don’t stock it so no good for me!

MussEd
    Free Member

I’ve got an Evoc 30l trail pack. Huge capacity with loads of organisational dividers/pockets. It’s got a built-in spine protector too which you don’t even notice…

flyingmonkeycorps

The Evoc stuff looks lovely, but £126 with no bladder for the 30l one is a bit out of my price range 🙁

ktmblag
    Free Member

Ah missed the got to be from evans bit sorry

ebygomm
    Free Member

Camelbak Octane

Expandable and quite generous in size imo compared to stated litres once the zip is undone. I use mine to commute to work with so it generally holds, pump, spare tube, tools, phone, wallet, change of clothes, pair of shoes/boots no problem.

gusamc
    Free Member

*I have a Deuter Speed Lite 30 – and one thing I noticed (after a Berghaus XF (??very old) 30ishL pack) is that when Scotland, solo, remote packed (3l water plus kitchen sink) I feel that the arm straps aren’t padded enough, but apart from that no probs.

MSP

I find my osprey packs much more comfortable than my camelbacks. And while they might seem more flimsy in a shop inspection, they hold up to the battering of use without a problem.

molgrips
    Free Member

I use an Osprey flapjack every day for my laptop and cycling bag. It’s fantastic. Still looks more or less new despite 2.5 years of almost daily use, and it is waterproof.

I also have this bad habit of picking it up when full by grabbing the much thinner internal rain baffle, which I’m sure ought to rip, but it hasn’t yet!

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

I’ve got the Vaude Alpine 30+5. In all fairness it gets used for commuting as well as riding, so I need the extra space. However, you have to undo a zipper to get the main compartment to expand to full size, so it’s a fairly respectable size most of the time.

There are more than enough pockets. When I go riding, I have all my repair kit, a waterproof, 2l hydration pack, lighter/heavier shirt, fixed lens bridge camera, work gloves, a decent amount of food, map and compass in the bag.

The weight sits fairly well on the hips and the waist straps don’t slip as you ride, chest strap works well and it has size adjust on the back.

The only downside is mine does tend to make a bit of a creaking noise as I ride sometimes. I haven’t really tried to sort it out, but it’s something to bear in mind if you get easily annoyed. I do recommend it though, it does a great job of carrying everything, and has compression straps on the sides, so you can keep it fairly compact if you’re not carrying too much.

Dogsby

I have a Deuter Trans Apline 30 and it is marvellous and capacious. It is very robust and has an excellent array of pockets, internal pouches and compresion straps.

Dogsby

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I’ve got the osprey talon 18, plenty big for your needs and has the best bladder system of any I have used. Three years use and no issues at all

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers all, that’s dead helpful. I think I may just have to brave an Evans and see what they have in stock and what I can have a fondle of

stevemorg2

I’d have a look at the OMM Classics:

Packs

great sacs and I find my 32l model great on and off the bike

labsey
    Free Member

It’s just a bit ugly looking!

Can’t see it when it’s on your back! I use an old Lowe Alpine. The suggestions above are all good though.

flyingmonkeycorps

Heheh true, and my bike ain’t exactly beautiful either. Let alone my face.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Have a look at the Osprey Zealot series. Bit if a free ride type of pack but very comfy.
    I have the 18 and it takes everything I need to carry with space.
    About £80 without a bladder which is a negative but I got mine brand new on eBay for £35
    Cheers
    Steve

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I’ve got an Osprey Stratos 26 and I use it most days and I did the South Downs Way with it a couple of years ago. The main pack is held away from your back by a vented mesh frame and it’s VERY cool in the summer. Much more so than either my Camelbak Octane or MULE.
    It’s got loads of good features and is well built and can be tightened with the compression straps to stop it moving around when it’s not full.
    I liked it so much, I then bought it in the 36 size too!
    So +1 for Osprey
    PS, they come in S/M/L so you can get the right fit for your torso

Edric64
    Free Member

I was always told to let the bike carry the weight and never wear a rucksack geta rack instead

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Big backpack for biking’ is closed to new replies.