Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Big all-rounder tyres for a 29er rigid – what do you like?
  • slowboydickie

I have been looking for some voluminous 29er tyres for a rigid to take some of the sting out of trail. I bought some 2.4 mountain kings but they come up more like 2.1 so they are going back. Can any one make a recommendation for big tyres that can be used all year round?

And I am not keen to pay £40 per tyre 🙂

Cheers
    Rich

goot
    Free Member

On one smorgasbord. Cheap and do the job ‘

mattjg
    Free Member

I am on the same mission.

Hans Dampfs from bike-discount.de if you don’t mind the weight, but I do. I still have one on the front but put a RoRo on the rear.

Some people say Maxxis Ardent, they weigh similar but roll faster.

It’s easy to slow down a 29er with heavy tyres, all that rolling mass miles away from the axle.

Bregante

I’m using these at the minute and so far have been very impressed. Cheap as chips too.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/geax-gato-29er-mtb-folding-tyre/

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve got Ardents on my Niner, big, grippy, tough and roll well enough.

Clink

In summer 2.4 RR on front – just wish they did a snakeskin version. Gato looks good – just don’t get UST version – nightmare to mount.

big_scot_nanny

The on one fellas look good, but for me the 2.4 Arden’s are brill… Except in mud (horrifically slidey).

Low pressures (even with tubes) on really rocky stuff they are amazingly grippy, and on loose and hardpack, awesome fun.

They have good cush, grip and reasonable weight. No idea of price though, soz!

Kev

mlucas666
    Free Member

I was considering an On-one chunky monkey for as a front tyre on my rigid ss 29er, but was concerned about added rotational weight.

Stoner
    Free Member

2.4RR on mine, all year round, even in mud theyre not too bad at all.

If weight not an issue for you I reckon OnOne chunky monkeys might be a good choice too and great value for money at £15

sillyoldman

The newer style of Bonty 29-4 is ace. Like a 2.4 Ardent, but more supportive, but with better braking and cornering, and way better in gloop.

mattjg
    Free Member

2.4RR on mine, all year round, even in mud theyre not too bad at all.

Where from?

Clink

nextdaytyres – not sure any in stock though. That Bonty looks like it’s worth a punt.

Stoner
    Free Member

usually one of the german sites.

Got a pair of super light rocket rons for less than £50 delivered the other day.

Stoner
    Free Member

bike24.de and bike-discount.de have some stock at a reasonable price.

Although I see that they are spec’d as 2.35″ now. (60-622)
    the 2.4″ come up as 61mm on my 35mm rim.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have 2.2 race king out back and 2.35 nobby nic on the front of my Gryphon which works ok for most stuff.

mattjg
    Free Member

Stoner do you know if it fits on a Crest tubeless OK? (Hans Dampf 2.35 does – I like the grip of them but man they’re heavy).

Stoner
    Free Member

dont see why not.

Have fitted rocket rons to crest tubelsss, but not the ralphs.

mattjg
    Free Member

Yeah the HD’s did.

OK I was looking for 2.35 Rons (I have the 2.25), when you wrote RR did you mean Ralphs?

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k669/a56997/racing-ralph-evo-pacestar-29-x-235-tl-ready-folding.html

mattjg
    Free Member

Got a 2.35 RaRa on its way, let’s give them a spin.

Anyone need a pair of 29 x 2.35 HDs?

Clobber
    Free Member

I’ve got a chunky monkey coming… 2.4 ardents and rara are great and massive but not in the mud!

Be interesting to see if a big roro will be out for 2013

takisawa2

mattig…I might be, email me a pic…
    I’ve got a Racing Ralph in the older 2.4 & a newer 2.35 on my Niner. They roll not far off a Smallblock8, but actually grip also. (Well, to a point anyway). I’m running them at 26psi & on my fully rigid SIR.9 they give a great ride.
    Kenda’s 2.2 Nevegal comes up not far off the 2.35 Racing Ralph size. They can be picked up cheap sometimes, they are 850g though, & don’t roll great. They grip ok though.

keavo
    Free Member

hans dampf front. geax gato or sagauro rear.

Cheezpleez

Just bought a bargain Bontrager 29-4 for my Inbred 69er experiment. I’m guessing it’s the old one as it was half price at the lbs. will it be any good?

sillyoldman

Liked the old one in the dry, but not the wet…. Save it for summer.

jameso

No-one’s mentioned Purgatorys yet.. so “Purgatory 29 2bliss”

My go-to rigid bike all-round + cheap tyre these days. Ideal size,on a wider rim there’s enough volumefor cush but not too wide for soft ground. Good in mixed to wet conditions on the front with a 2.25 Ardent on the back, Purgs F+R when it’s wetter and looser, or mud tyres if it’s properly grim – Purgatories are fine in the wet until it gets to mud-tyres-or-nothing kind of conditions.

Chunky Monkeys look like a similar kind of block pattern with loads of corner edge, not seen the profile on a wider rim though. May give them a go next.

Cheezpleez

FWIW my 29-4 weighs 825g on the kitchen scales. My cheapy wheel with this attached weighs about the same as a small planet 😯

Tomorrow I’ll see how it rides

mattjg
    Free Member

what kind of sad ****er weighs tyres on the kitchen scales?

ps that’s 50g less than my HDs. Ahem.The 2.25 Ron’s come in 550g ish (but are blooming fragile, but I switched the rear back to RoRo now anyway) and I just bought a 2.35 Racing Ralph (620g) to switch with the front HD. Doing the simple “grab the wheel and spin it” test, it’s quite a difference IMO.

Stoner
    Free Member

no need to be rude, matt. (or are you missing a smiley?)

Some people, me included, take an interest in rolling weight.
    And with 29er tyres that can be a big thing.

Cheezpleez

It’s OK, Matt’s much sadder than me 😆

My daughter was making raspberry coulis muffins enrobed in white chocolate hearts while I was building my wheel in the kitchen so the scales were right next to me

mattjg
    Free Member

That wasn’t rude. You’ll know when I’m trying to be rude.

DaveE

+1 for Hans Dampfs from bike-discount.de
    Very tall so check you have enough clearance.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Using Maxxis Ikon here 29 x 2.20 in standard folding 60tpi dual compound guise, bought from Actionsports.de for £47 the pair. Very surprised by these, grip is great , they roll very well and actually can get away with them in mud/water too. Rode them on local trails and at Thetford yesterday which was rather boggy/very wet on some sections never missed a beat. Lightweight too at Maxxis stated weight of 580g but one came in at 567 the other 583 so quite reliable stated weights.

Cheezpleez

First ride with my 69er this morning through the Slurry Hills. 29-4 was pretty good but definitely noticed the weight v my old Purgatory-shod 26 inch wheel.

ahwiles
    Free Member

goot – Member

On one smorgasbord. Cheap and do the job ‘

what he ^ said.

big enough, grippy enough, made by the same folks that make Maxxis tyres, £15 each, and they go up tubeless a treat (if i can do it, anyone can).

mattjg
    Free Member

First ride with my 69er this morning through the Slurry Hills. 29-4 was pretty good but definitely noticed the weight v my old Purgatory-shod 26 inch wheel.

You do realise, with your front axle higher than your rear axle, you’re permanently riding uphill?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Big all-rounder tyres for a 29er rigid – what do you like?’ is closed to new replies.