• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by bigG.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Big Al @ Wheelcraft for wheels?
  • benz
    Free Member

What a pleasant experience it was talking about a wheel build with Al -a disarming honesty about the components and very competitive pricing too.

So, new wheel ordered…anyone who has been in Oor Wullie cannot be bad…

bencooper
    Free Member

Alastair is a legend in his own lunchtime – I quite often nip out there to use his spoke making machine…

bigG
    Free Member

The man’s a genius and a legend. He can also consume coffee and chocolate digestives faster than me, which is quite an achievement!

bencooper
    Free Member

Coffee and digestives are normal – first time I met him many years ago, he greeted me with “Come in, come in, young man – have a spring onion”.

And there was a big bunch of spring onions sitting on the bench.

🙂

stucol
    Free Member

Careful where you step in the workshop. And a real workshop it is too.

Oh and if you ever need a left hand 1975 Campag tipo axle end cap french threaded reverse grooved washer, Al will have one in a drawer and know which drawer too.

Not in it for the money and one of the few people i know who really is totally content at what he does for a living.

bencooper
    Free Member

Hey, I’ve got a real workshop too! Just got myself a fork bending wotsit and everything.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think he’s overrated, personally.

maccruiskeen

Al will have one in a drawer and know which drawer too.

…. a draw labelled “miscellaneous shite”

benz
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Why?

thecrookofdevon

How can he be over-rated. He builds great wheels at a good price. Cuts through the bike bs. Oh and is a really nice guy – and the coffee.

stevie750

I have used Big Al twice. Once to rebuild and respoke a pair of wheels and the other time I got a set of new wheels built.

Both sets of wheels are great and both done at an amazing price.

Nice guy as well.

strackbaz
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Big Al and the guys at Wheelcraft. It doesn’t matter what time of the day it is, whenever you pop in, there’s always someone sitting chatting, drinking coffee.

His place is like no other and he’s not in it for the money. Helped me out with various bits and bobs. Most recently a right-hand 9spd Ultegra Shifter, only wanted £60 and that was fitted. My LBS told me to buy a Tiagra set – £180.

The coffee is also free 🙂

mrplow
    Free Member

Big Al and all at the Wheelcraft shop are diamonds. Was up at the weekend for some work and parts and they tried to charge me £3! I obviously gave them a fiver as I appreciate friendly honest service.

Remember going up with a mates DH wheel. Al let me get on with some of the work and built it up for pennies on the spot. He said if the other wheel was built the same as the one I had brought in then it would not last. The other wheel exploded on my 2nd run down Fort Bill the next weekend. Straight back to Al’s to rebuild that one as well. Both wheels have since survived the Fort Bill endurance and a month in the Alps plus many other races and going strong on original hubs and rims.

As I said – diamond.

maccruiskeen

you know when Luke Skywalker first meets Yoda and goes inside his funny little hut. Its like that. Until Yoda stands up and you realise he’s 6’7″.

bigG
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Burn the heretic,….

PS, just don’t ever ask for black spokes….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Big Al @ Wheelcraft for wheels?’ is closed to new replies.