Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Big 4-0 next year, what challenge to do?
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Fancy a multiday event next year to mask the fear of the rapidly closing reaper and bullshit myself that I’m still a prize stallion* and not a walking pot of glue whose next stop is the knackers yard.

After my brief and catastrophic dalliance with enduro that’s out so need something maybe 3-4 days, european (possibly UK), xc/mincecore orientated. Big hills, big scenery, no-hoper class, comfortable broom wagon, excellent mini bar.

What do ya reckon?

[*at no point in history did i ever meet this description]

D0NK

*Pulls up a chair*

jam-bo

i went to iceland*

*I was only 39 though.

their wasn’t a broom wagon or a mini-bar either.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

their wasn’t a broom wagon or a mini-bar either.

Iceland’s out.

edhornby

I’m also in the same category, I should probably do a race of something shortly after my birthday in the Vet category, cos next year is the one where it would count (yeah right, still no chance of standing on a podium for anything)

watching thread with interest….

pezza
    Free Member

I’m also in the same category, ive entered Ironman Wales. Mid life crisis or Bucket list or both.

DaveRambo

Rat race crossing may fit the bill.

link

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

do the mega.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I made a list of 50 things to do for my 50th (idea copied from Carol Voerderman) along with a mate of mine who did the same. Not all where epics, some where simple like reading some books I’d never got round to or some things to cook (eg soufflés). On the challenge side was climbing/hiking snowden, scafell pike and ben nevis (highest peaks in engkand wales and scotland). You can have a lot of fun with the list. We didnt finish ours fir a variety of reasons one if which was getting injured 🙁

Good luck and just bear in mind 40 is a breeze in comparison to 50 when the body really does strart to require rest and maintenance after anything remotely epic

bellerophon
    Free Member

Good luck and just bear in mind 40 is a breeze in comparison to 50 when the body really does strart to require rest and maintenance after anything remotely epic

Nope, 50 here, loving it 🙂

jedi

twas my best mates 50th so we did the tour du mt blanc around chamonix for 5 days. it rocked

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’m planning a long run, a longer mtb ride, and an even longer audax.

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t do the mega.

Something like the tour de mont blanc as suggested by Jedi sounds more up your street, or did you want an element of competition?

dovebiker

50 here, Rovaniemi 150 in February and if it all goes well I’d like to go back for the 300. Southdowns Way Double in 24hrs is also planned for next summer – puncture wrecked my chances this year.

twistedpencil

40 next year also, pass out for the mega sorted, will be in touch with Jedi at some point in the new year!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Mmm, was thinking PPS or simila but that’s been dissed as abit crap on here, Rat Race – I live in the lakes so not sure if it would feel ‘special’ enough, right sort of vibe though. There’s on in poland/slovakia that looks oK. WIll check out Tde MB. Mega? Well I suppose getting dropped on the first seeding run would mean more time for beer.

mogrim

http://www.andaluciabikerace.com/ ? Definitely more XC than enduro, 4 or 5 stages. In February.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Am intending to do a 24hr so that could be the competitive element, T de MB looks good if a bit long (not sure I’d get a pass for a week) but I imagine there’s alternatives on the route. Mogrim, looks good but a bit pro, so I’ll use the not enough time to train excuse.

mogrim

Mogrim, looks good but a bit pro, so I’ll use the not enough time to train excuse.

Bit pro at the front, I think there’s a fair number of lower speed riders further back…

Late September there’s also the Madrid-Lisbon non-stop race, you’d obviously need to be fit but I’ve got a couple of mates that have done it and they’re certainly not pros.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP the Pass Portes du Soleil is a great day out in the company of mountain bikers and a good anchor for a few days or a weeks riding in the Alps but it’s not a challenge in any real sense. I like it and have done it 3 times but a lot of the riding is xc on tracks and fire/farm roads. You could do a 4 day weekend with mates inc the PPdS but I’d wager yiu could find a better challenge. The Tour du Mont Blanc needs planning and logistical support so is easiest done guided, @Jedi had done it before guided and had a support vehicle with all their kit following them around.

Happy researching

lunge

La Marmotte? Registration opens on Monday I believe.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Megavalanche?
    I’ll be entering again when I turn 50, year after next.

shortcut

I did the BC Bike Race last year. Now sold out for 2016.

The Trans Rockies Singletrack 6 is open and looks like fun.

richardk
    Free Member

My 40th deferral attempt was nearly multi-day, I entered the Outlaw (and completed it). Ended up going 2.5hrs quicker than the Ironman I did on my 30th. World record attempt coming up when I’m 50…

I’ve always fancied the Trans Alp, or an island hopping wild swim.

jamesoz

Mega? Well I suppose getting dropped on the first seeding run would mean more time for beer.

Nope, everybody gets to race depending on seeding/sex.
    Mega
    Ladies
    Challengers
    Amateurs
    Affinity 1
    Affinity 2

The two affinity races are non mass start but the same course (unless like 2014 the weather intervenes)

robdob
    Free Member

Touring is where it’s at. So many positives:

1) Going slower is a bonus.
    2) Tea and Cake are the energy boosts as standard. Beer also.
    3) You have an excuse to eat as much as you can as “you need fuel”
    4) You get to buy a new bike
    5) Unfashionable high rise stems ARE acceptable
    6) Multi day rides where you keep your Strava on look bloomin epic
    7) Awesome scenery
    8) You get to buy more kit

There is simply no downsides.

I want to do the Lon Las Cymru next year which is my 40th year.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Hmmm, touring’s more for the well adjusted, this is more an infantile scream for attention and recognition.

chakaping
    Free Member

I did the Mega on my 40th, though not as a 40th “thing” IYKWIM.

I wouldn’t recommend it if you struggled with the PMBA enduro TBH, the vibe is a lot more serious and competitive than one of those.

What’s your favourite kind of riding? How about a few epic days of guided or self-guided adventure in the Alps or similar?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Epic Cymru might fit the bill.

jimdubleyou

I quite fancy a long off-road tour, something like the Wessex Way.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Big 4-0 next year, what challenge to do?’ is closed to new replies.