Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bienn a Ghlo loop today. Sweltertastic
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

We did a once in a year weatherwise Bienn a Ghlo loop today. The trails were in great condition unlike one of our number who suffered serious cramp issues. Top day, thanks to all those that came out.

The mellow spin up Glen Tilt was anything but.

Househusband makes a rash bid for the crash of the day trophy.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Nice. Are you a clockwise man then mcmoonter? I’ve done the route both ways, good each way.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Looks like a cracking day McM.

Only ever done this loop clockwise.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There was a lot of debate about which way is best. I’m a confirmed clockwise lover. I think the singletrack down towards Shinegag (we crossed the river before reaching Shinegag) is better than the singletrack down to the Falls of Tarf. Shame to lose some of the the height on tarmac for the last descent, but I’ve never experienced a tailwind down Glen Tilt. Swings and roundabouts.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Nice* 🙂

*we still had a better ride though 😛

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My only regret is we didnt see any Mexicans from Cowdenbeath.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

That alone was worth it – in his million layers of clothing!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

looks brilliant. Need to get to the ‘gorms again soon!
    looking at the map, can you not avoid the final tarmac descent (if going clockwise) by either heading down Glen Girnaig from Shinegag/Reinakyllich to Ochilmore and back to Blair Atholl on the old road, or over the shoulder of Meall Mor towards Strathgroy?

globalti
    Free Member

You didn’t skinny-dip in the burn afterwards to freshen up?

Used to be standard at the end of the ride when I was MTBing in Scotland.

fergal
    Free Member

The singletracky bits look reet bo, much landy track on this, stunning part of the world.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Twas indeed a grand day out Grommit

mcmoonter – Member

Posted 15 hours ago #Report-Post

dirtygirlonabike – Member

That alone was worth it – in his million layers of clothing!

WTF? Can someone explain please

fasthaggis

Sweltertastic indeed ,we did a road ride up near there yesterday and I was regreting too many layers 🙄 .
    116 hard miles with people that were all fitter than me 😳

How long does that Bienn a Ghlo loop take ?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/kinross-sportive-recce-sunday-april-10th-amended-date/page/2

fergal – there is a fair bit of LRT on this but the singletracky bits are really worth it. Maybe email me for turn offs to look out for.

fast haggis – the loop is about 34 miles, but there are a lot of ups and downs. Our riding time was 4 1/2 hours, but it was a mixed ability group and one of the guys had hellish cramp so lots of waiting and talking shite.

Trekster

What map for that ride/route?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My edition is George Orwell’s, published in 1984. Some of the wee links might not be marked, Give me a shout for handy shortcuts.

mustard
    Free Member

Looks like a cracking day McM. I’ll need to get some big days in the hills soon as payback for the last two weekends being flogged out on the tarmac.

In his defence can I just point out the the only mexican in Cowdenbeath is not the Lampre man!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bienn a Ghlo loop today. Sweltertastic’ is closed to new replies.