• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by wzzzz.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bicycle moon-on-a-stickery: small, light, 1*11
  • nbt

Mrs NBT curently rides a Turner Flux and loves it. It’s not new but it’s a great bike, currently sporting 3*9 shimano gears, hope brakes, sektors up front.

The wheels (stans on hope pro ii) are getting a bit creaky – could do with new bearings and probably new rims. In reality this probably means selling the current wheels and replacing with new ones 🙂

Due to old injuries, Mrs NBT also struggles with using the front shifter, as her thumb can be stiff and doesn’t always generate enough force to make the shift, especially when the shifting is sticky due to crappy cables

So, my choices are to buy new wheels along with a 1* 11 (or 1*10) groupset, or to look at new bikes

Having chatted to Jackie on yesterday’s pootle, Mrs NBT is now intrigued by the idea of a 29er. I’ve been riding one for some time, however she’s always been reluctant to try them as being “only 5’4″” she feels she’s too small. This notion was dispelled by the fact that Jackie is no taller (indeed possibly shorter) than Mrs NBT, but felt that her riding had been transformed when she moved to a 29er

So, if I were to look a new bikes, what should I be looking at? 29ers are ok, I’ll consider 27.5, but probably not worth a new 26″ bike as the Flux is a damned good frame. Ideally single ring with a WIDE range (Mrs NBT is a frequent user of the little ring), and ideally with a dropper post, or a frame which will take the 30.9 dropped currently in use on the flux (shims are acceptable)

over to you

scotroutes

As an aside, try to get her a ride on something running 2×11 with a sideswing front mech. The action is a lot lighter than previous systems

steezysix
    Free Member

Probably a pricey option, by what about DI2 if she has problems with shifting? Pushing buttons would be a lot easier than moving levers, especially on longer rides.

swanny853

My OH at 5’3″ always said a 29er would look ridiculous for her. She tried my Solaris (medium, I’m 5’9″/10″ depending on when I last had my hair cut) and while it was obviously a bit big she was surprised how ‘not massive’ in her words the wheels felt. So perhaps a demo is in order?

joshvegas
    Free Member

How about a twist grip?

Pretend motorbike noises optional

scotroutes

5’3″ or 5’4″ on a hardtail is easier to accommodate than it is on a FS as you need to allow for suspension travel and, potentially, a dropper seatpost.

I’m 5’7″ and ruled out 29ers for this reason.

mother
    Free Member

Sent you a message

kbrpro
    Free Member

Should I bring Cat’s 650B Canyon over to try at the weekend?

mother
    Free Member

Just wondering if you picked up my message. Forgot to say it is 1×11.

nbt

Got the message thanks Mother. Just at the “thinking about it” stage right now.

mother
    Free Member

Okay thanks. Wasn’t sure how the message system worked!

chakaping
    Free Member

The one thing I’d say is to maybe focus on 29ers with short chainstays, which are relatively rare.

Dunno how short a seat tube is required, but this might be a good option?

Kona Hei Hei Trail on discount

wzzzz
    Free Member

I had the same dilemma with my 26 Flux.

Such a great bike and I love how “industrial” its construction is. I couldn’t bring myself to change to a mainstream brand just for bigger wheels.

I run the biggest tyres I could fit, 120mm fox forks and wide bars.

I run 1×11 XT M8000 11-46 with a 32 upfront so I still have a granny gear.

Actually looks a bit weird on the flux as they went to so much effort to keep the rear triangle out of the way of the front mech and triple….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bicycle moon-on-a-stickery: small, light, 1*11’ is closed to new replies.