Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)
  • Bicycle helmets reduce risk of serious head injury by nearly 70%, study finds
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Guardian link

Did a search, couldn’t find another thread on it.

DezB
    Free Member

You do realise TJ is back?? 😯

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve missed TJ on helmet threads. He’s right you know.

Rubber_Buccaneer

You do realise TJ is back

It’s a test designed to provoke an emotional response

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No they don’t
    Yes they do
    roptational injuries
    make cars aim for you
    No they don’t
    Yes they do
    roptational injuries
    make cars aim for you
    No they don’t
    Yes they do
    roptational injuries
    make cars aim for you
    No they don’t
    Yes they do
    roptational injuries
    make cars aim for you
    No they don’t
    Yes they do
    roptational injuries
    make cars aim for you

IHN

Save yourselves!

*Runs*

Rubber_Buccaneer

Save yourselves!

Put a helmet on? Or take it off? I need a multi page thread to inform me

twisty

What the stats do not say is what proportion of injuries were head injuries.

Protecting the head reduces the chance of the head being injured, that’s a no brainer. But this statistic doesn’t provide perspective on how wearing a helmet holistically reduces the chance of being seriously injured.

Me personally, I almost always wear a helmet, although of all the times I have fallen off I have never hit my head. I learnt to tuck my head in when I fall through Judo training which has come in surprisingly useful throughout life. I think it would be really useful to teach people how to fall properly as part of school P.E lessons.

Having stated this I have no doubt jinxed myself into smashing my head the next time I ride my bike!

DezB
    Free Member

No they don’t
    Yes they do
    roptational injuries
    make cars aim for you
    No they don’t
    Yes they do
    roptational injuries
    make cars aim for you
    No they don’t
    Yes they do
    roptational injuries
    make cars aim for you
    No they don’t
    Yes they do
    roptational injuries
    make cars aim for you
    No they don’t
    Yes they do
    roptational injuries
    make cars aim for you

personal choice
    should be compulsary
    personal choice
    should be c….

4 pages, and fade….

onandon
    Free Member

Think of the wife’s, husbands and children, close the tread now to prevent angry people taking out their internet rage on their loved ones.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No they don’t
    Yes Yes Yes
    personal choice
    they do
    roptational injuries
    should be compulsary
    should be compulsary
    should be compulsary
    personal choice
    make cars aim for you

Remix

neilthewheel

MIPS with everything

DezB
    Free Member

Seriously though. I… I… nah.

milky1980
    Free Member

*Switches off computer*
    *Goes for a ride*
    *Hopes not to add to the statistics*

edlong
    Free Member

Okay, let’s get this started properly. From the meat of the article

Helmet use is associated with odds reductions of 51% for head injury, 69%…

From the headline though (and repeated in the opening sentence)

Bicycle helmets reduce risk….

As a non-expert, who hasn’t read the study, that reads to me like a study finding a correlation and a journalist interpreting that as causation.

Random hypothesis: Helmet use is more prevalent among experienced cyclists, and they are more expert at dealing with crashes – inexperienced, helmetless cyclists more likely to impact hard and head first with the road / other vehicles, expert, helmeted cyclists roll, ninja-like and only catch the road with a glancing blow to the head.

No idea if the above is true, but it might be. The point is, that helmetless cyclists come off worse than helmeted ones does not, of itself, prove that it is the wearing of the helmet that causes the better outcome.

[retires to safe distance]

wwaswas

I’m deeply sceptical.

It’s a ’round up’ study of over 40 other surveys, none of which found these results.

It’s been produced by a team in one of the few states with a Mandatory Helmet Law and whose funding comes from the state.

I’ll leave it there I think.

kerley
    Free Member

I learnt to tuck my head in when I fall through Judo training

Good point. I also did Judo as a child and of all the times (in the 40 years since) I have fallen over/off bike/got knocked off bike etc,. I have never hit my head.

Haven’t used a Hane Goshi or a Tamoe Nage ever since though however but good to get something from it other than s set of coloured belts.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I learnt to tuck my head in when I fall through Judo training

The last helmet I wrote off, I broke my arm protecting my head.

The one before that was a crash that happened so quickly I was on the floor before I knew what was going on. The back wheel caught a small stump in the middle of a berm just as I pumped, stopping the bike dead, so I went headfirst into the berm just ahead of the front wheel at full speed.

The one before that I went over the front in a chute of rocky steps, I actually had time to aim my head at the rock whilst falling because it seemed preferable to my face because I could see the exact pointy rock I was about to land on.

I’m skeptical..

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Try an experiment…

Hit yourself on the head with a hammer, really hard.

ads678

I don’t care what any one thinks or any stats say.

I wear a helmet to protect my head in a fall. On a mountain bike because i’ve landed on or hit my head in falls previously, on a road bike because there is a chance of hitting my head in on hard objects like kerbs if I come off the bike and when snowboarding because i’ve fallen badly and hit my head previously.

I know for a fact that hitting my head in a fall when wearing a helmet hurts less than not wearing a helmet.

I do not think that wearing a helmet will save my life if a bus hits me at 50 MPH.

There, thats my bit done.

Edit: I also don’t care if people choose not to wear a helmet. That’s up to them.

edlong
    Free Member

No need, stick with this thread long enough and you’ll achieve the same effect.

nedrapier

Same helmet discussion, only thing is a new study. What’s different about this study?

I’m deeply sceptical.
    It’s a ’round up’ study of over 40 other surveys, none of which found these results.
    It’s been produced by a team in one of the few states with a Mandatory Helmet Law and whose funding comes from the state.
    I’ll leave it there I think.

Me too!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

We need bike helmets with a car airbag type protection for front-on impacts (like say… into the rear of a dustbin lorry 😉 ), which still allow to see where we are going when we are travelling safely. 😆

DezB
    Free Member

I also don’t care if people choose not to wear a helmet. That’s up to them.

What? Like personal choice?

I was riding home the other day. There were 2 girls going the opposite direction on those Pendleton style bikes. One was on the path, the other was on the road. The road side one had no helmet, normal (not riding) clothes, one hand holding a drink the other on the bars.. A car went past really bloody close! I thought “Ooh”.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Try an experiment…

Are you being serious?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Are you being serious?

no, sorry, have you actually done it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

breadcrumb

In all the times I’ve fell off I’ve only hit my head once. I don’t think it would of done any lasting damage but it would of bloody hurt.

A helmet has stopped quite a few head to branch interface moments.

And it gives me somewhere to mount bike light too.

RustySpanner

I’ve never seen a turtle.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t think it would of done any lasting damage but it would of bloody hurt.

Maybe it damaged your ability to write proper English? 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Can we maybe discuss this new meta study, rather than anecdotes and the same stuff over and over?

Anyone able to access the actual study?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Are you being serious?
    no, sorry, have you actually done it?

I was wondering if that was a serious argument in favour of helmets. But I expect you knew that.

zanelad
    Free Member

In a similar vein, Mafeking has been releived.

I’m still not going to wear a helmet though.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Have you to pay money to read it. I can’t access. The co-author has a blog here with lots of stuff tho
    https://injurystats.wordpress.com/

buckster
    Free Member

Joking aside, log term effects from multiple minor knocks/concussion are scary

D0NK

A helmet has stopped quite a few head to branch interface moments.

I reckon my helmet has caused quite a few head/branch interfaces, certainly caused a door lintel helmet interface a couple weekends ago (walked in and out of the pub several times lidless, put helmet on took glasses backinside – whack!) I reckon I’ve got pretty good proprioception (if that’s the right word) I squeeze through gaps and under things pretty well but have been caught out quite a few times by my lid and stuff in my jersey pockets (as happened on tuesday)

D0NK

But as to the study, usual rules apply:
    correlation and causation are not the same.
    Advising people that helmets may help if you crash – knock yourself out.
    Making a case for compulsion – literally knock yourself out.
    Try some victim blaming shit about the cyclist being at fault for not having a lid on when you drove your car into them – GTFO.

aracer
    Free Member

There is no hammer

scud
    Free Member

For me the question is why would you not wear a helmet?

These days they are pretty darn light an unobtrusive. I’ve been through a cars windscreen….it hurt.

I’ve gone down an Alpine black run, over the bars and landed square on the top of my head, it hurt….. a lot.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Bicycle helmets reduce risk of serious head injury by nearly 70%, study finds’ is closed to new replies.