Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bicarb of soda for performance increase
  • joeydeacon
    Free Member

Anyone else heard of this? I don’t race any more, but was reading about Dowsett’s hour record, and he referenced taking bicarb before.

Some more info here: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/nutrition/sodium-bicarbonate-boost-26233

Anyone here tried it? And how much did it help/hinder?

finbar
    Free Member

Unfortunate timing to ask this question in light of the Albuterol Salazar story…

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Why? I presuming bicarb isn’t on the banned list else Dowsett wouldn’t be talking about taking it, and there’s always doping stories in the news, cycling or otherwise?

devash
    Free Member

Not tried that but I’ve started taking 300mg of magnesium once a day and I find its brilliant for muscle cramps.

finbar
    Free Member

Why? I presuming bicarb isn’t on the banned list else Dowsett wouldn’t be talking about taking it, and there’s always doping stories in the news, cycling or otherwise?

Well, the kindest interpretation of the Oregon Project story is that Salazar has been gaming the doping laws to give his athletes as much chemical advantage as possible without actually breaking any rules.

Is doping okay if the product isn’t on the banned list? Not everyone is taking bicarb of soda – which incidentally from what I remember reading about it has a massive sodium load and is pretty bad for your blood pressure.

GregMay
    Free Member

Ahhem…practical advice. Having been part of a study on the effects of Bicarb on repeat anaerobic activity. Make sure you don’t take it after lunch, or without clearing out your gut. Bib shorts could not get down fast enough.

They joys of being a sports scientist.

GregMay
    Free Member

FWIW, bicarb has also been shown to have little to no effect on aerobic activity. No looking up papers – go have a look on Pubmed.

medoramas
    Free Member

Apparently it is very tasty… 😆

soobalias
    Free Member

i sprinkle some on my saddle to get stubborn stains and smells out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bicarb of soda for performance increase’ is closed to new replies.