Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Bible stories
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

See I tend to think of him as more of a proto robin hood or che guevara, or the likes, a freedom fighter of sorts. The miracles stuff is the stuff that has been added to cover up how he actually achieved such feats via guerilla tactics!

BigJohn

A friend of mine, who is a practising Catholic, says that the fact we’re still taking about it, and some are being influenced by it after 2000 years is a pretty strong indication that there’s something to the story.

Cougar

What I never really got a handle on is, if it happened these days no-one would buy it. If Blaine suddenly came over a bit David Ike and started telling everyone he was the Second Coming, we’d watch his miracles and go “yeah, right.” Quite why we’re so ready to believe ostensibly the same thing based on chinese whispers from a couple of millennia ago but wouldn’t believe it now, I don’t know.

is a pretty strong indication that there’s something to the story

It’s a pretty strong indication that people like to believe what they’re told.

lemonysam
    Free Member

ays that the fact we’re still taking about it, and some are being influenced by it after 2000 years is a pretty strong indication that there’s something to the story

We’re still talking about Beowulf after 1300 years, at what point do we start believing in Grendel?

kimbers

but a lot of the stories are much older than jesus, just co-opted into the en-vogue religion

modern humans have been around for 200,000 years or so at least 100,000 in the middle east, id assume that some sort of religion has been with us since the beginning, the last 2000 years is just an eye blink and theres only 1 reason we are still talking about it….writing

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    And?

And what? Heaven forbid that anyone might want to make a simple observation.

I’d take that over your positive contribution of jumping in and whining about it any day.

Is there mod licence to make assumptions and misquote on a regular basis, or does that just come with religious threads? Examples, examples….(as in setting)

You know that reading every thread isn’t mandatory, right?

Missed that obviously?

Anyway, enjoy the bible obsessions…more bible quotes on STW than at Westminster Cathedral. A font of religious observation, what’s not to like?

Cougar

Is there mod licence to make assumptions and misquote on a regular basis, or does that just come with religious threads? Examples, examples….(as in setting)

I’m terribly sorry, I must’ve missed the bit where you were taking part in the discussion rather than complaining about it.

And for the purposes of discussions I’m a user just like anyone else, not a moderator, so don’t give me that nonsense.

seosamh77
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with religious threads, what usually goes wrong with them is that people start multi quoting and arguing over nothing. 😆

duckman

The flood story is mentioned by a number (6?) different religions/races. God’s church had the biggest budget so Moses got the gig.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I’m terribly sorry, I missed the bit where you were complaining

As you were….. 😉

It is possible to make observations. I admire the stamina….

zippykona

Is there any evidence outside the bible that jesus existed?
    I’m a heathen so have no knowledge of these things.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, afaik. Loads of decent books on the subject.

Cougar

That’s a big question.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidence_for_the_historical_existence_of_Jesus_Christ

Evidence for the historical existence of Jesus of Nazareth (the Christ) as portrayed in the Bible is only found in three places: the Bible itself, other early Christian writings, and references by the various early churches (c. 100 CE) to the long-dead leader of those churches. The only known possible contemporaneous (c. 6 BCE through c. 36 CE) source regarding Jesus is Paul of Tarsus who expressly states that he got his information through revelation, not any human being.[1]

The increasingly common view of Jesus among New Testament scholars as of 2007 is that “historical research can indeed disclose a core of historical facts about Jesus” but “the Jesus we find at this historical core is significantly different from the legendary view presented in the New Testament”.[2] Some scholars have gone as far as to say there were several possible “Jesus” candidates with no indication of which (if any) is “the” historical Jesus.[3]

[4] Ironically, based on some of the definitions provided, [5][6][7] these could be said to qualify as Christ Myth Theory positions.
    A small minority, past[8] and present,[9] believe there is insufficient justification to assume any individual human seed for the stories, representing an extreme in the other end of belief. It should be noted that at least one anthropology paper states in both its abstract and main text “there is not a shred of evidence that a historical character Jesus lived”.[10] In June 2014, Richard Carrier’s On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt Sheffield Phoenix Press. ISBN 1-909697-49-2 became “the first comprehensive pro-Jesus myth book ever published by a respected academic press and under formal peer review”.[11]

At the risk of sounding like a theist, the lack of evidence doesn’t necessarily prove that Jesus didn’t exist in some form, I don’t suppose record-keeping was accurate and comprehensive back then. A likely explanation to my mind is that our modern “Jesus” is based on a collection of stories, some of which may have originated from an actual men or number of men. Once the legend gains momentum, it’s not hard to see how other events may be re-attributed to him.

</speculation>

Bimbler
    Free Member

Is there any evidence outside the bible that jesus existed

Ooh I know this, my daughter just did it in Yr 8 RE, 2 mentions in Josephus (Roman Historian) – end of 1st Century AD, and *checks wiki* one mention in Tactitus in 2nd Century.

chip
    Free Member

Religion has been around a long time, science coupled with modern travel and communication methods have made a huge dent in religion in a very short time indeed.
    I did not find out that Father Christmas did not exist until BT installed the phone in our hall in1980, and my main source of information was the 3 encyclopaedias in the dinning room cabinet.

Now with tv and t’net even the popes thrown in the towel.

Once upon a time you only knew what you was told, now it’s all there at your fingertips.

joolsburger
    Free Member

22 While they were enjoying themselves, some of the wicked men of the city surrounded the house. Pounding on the door, they shouted to the old man who owned the house, “Bring out the man who came to your house so we can have sex with him.”

23 The owner of the house went outside and said to them, “No, my friends, don’t be so vile. Since this man is my guest, don’t do this outrageous thing. 24 Look, here is my virgin daughter, and his concubine. I will bring them out to you now, and you can use them and do to them whatever you wish. But as for this man, don’t do such an outrageous thing.”

25 But the men would not listen to him. So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. 26 At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight.

27 When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. 28 He said to her, “Get up; let’s go.” But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.

29 When he reached home, he took a knife and cut up his concubine, limb by limb, into twelve parts and sent them into all the areas of Israel.

Lovely.

Bimbler
    Free Member

2 Kings 2:23-24New International Version (NIV)
    Elisha Is Jeered

23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

That’ll teach em.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Genesis 38:9-10New International Version (NIV)

9 But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother’s wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death also.

Serves the tosser right.

jekkyl

Great stuff. You never hear about any of this on songs of praise.
    You’re on a roll now bimbler, moar plz.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Genesis 9:20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
    21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
    22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
    23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father’s nakedness.
    24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
    25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
    26 And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
    27 God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Mark 11:12-25New International Version (NIV)

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.

God (Jr) hates figs

Cougar

I’m not sure as I understand Lemonysam’s. Japheth covered up his father’s nakedness without looking, and God gave him an erection?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@jools – you’re quoting something with modern language, anything written at the time would need translating for us so we have to question the merit of the translation. Secondly we live in a very different world now 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 years after these texts where written so indeed some of the stories are going to seem pretty brutal

@bimbler’s quote is an example of where I say these relgions are social codes, Onan done wrong and he had to go 😯

lemonysam
    Free Member

Ham stumbled in on Noah, naked and pissed as a lord. He popped out and told his older brothers so they went out and carefully covered up his junk without looking. Noah wakes up, presumably hungover, and takes exception to what’s happened so curses Ham’s son, and his progeny to henceforth be slaves to the rest of the family.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Deuteronomy 13:6-10New International Version (NIV)

6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. 9 You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

Jealous much?

zippykona

Some of this comes across as really twisted Nick Cave lyrics.

seosamh77
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    Some of this comes across as really twisted Nick Cave lyrics.

Haha, not far wrong! 😆

kimbers

Not a story just a social code

What the Bible says about Menstruation

Leviticus 15:19-30
    And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even. And every thing that she lieth upon in her separation shall be unclean: every thing also that she sitteth upon shall be unclean. And whosoever toucheth her bed shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even. And whosoever toucheth any thing that she sat upon shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even. And if it be on her bed, or on any thing whereon she sitteth, when he toucheth it, he shall be unclean until the even. And if any man lie with her at all, and her flowers be upon him, he shall be unclean seven days; and all the bed whereon he lieth shall be unclean. And if a woman have an issue of her blood many days out of the time of her separation, or if it run beyond the time of her separation; all the days of the issue of her uncleanness shall be as the days of her separation: she shall be unclean. Every bed whereon she lieth all the days of her issue shall be unto her as the bed of her separation: and whatsoever she sitteth upon shall be unclean, as the uncleanness of her separation. And whosoever toucheth those things shall be unclean, and shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the even. But if she be cleansed of her issue, then she shall number to herself seven days, and after that she shall be clean. And on the eighth day she shall take unto her two turtles, or two young pigeons, and bring them unto the priest, to the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. And the priest shall offer the one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering; and the priest shall make an atonement for her before the LORD for the issue of her uncleanness.
    Leviticus 20:18
    And if a man shall lie with a woman having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them shall be cut off from among their people.
    Ezekiel 18:5-6
    But if a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right, and hath not … come near to a menstruous woman…..

SaxonRider

The orginal intention was hoping for some funny re-imaginations of the stories, but regardless, i don’t why we shouldn’t talk about. I find it interesting from a historical perspective too.

I’m glad you clarified that, seosamh77. Otherwise, in the wake of our last multi-page run on religion that discusses almost exactly this point, I might have thought you were trolling.

jekkyl

… and the woman will lie upon her sofa and will moan to her man… ‘get me chocolate and a hot water bottle’ and she will be in pain and her tolerance for BS will be lowered and her man will be afraid to talk to his woman and will be advised to leave her presence for a time and go on a bike ride. ….

miketually
    Free Member

Iirc, Josephus and Tacticus wrote about the beliefs of Christians, so their writings are evidence of the existence of Christians rather than of Jesus.

rene59
    Free Member

Not a story just a social code

What the Bible says about Menstruation

Leviticus 15:19-30
    And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean …

Similar social code can be found in places even today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-29727875

nick1962
    Free Member

What about the stories ,books and characters that didn’t make it into the final cut,the apocryphal? The accounts and stories the religious establishment suppressed and in some cases destroyed because they were considered dangerous or nonsense or didn’t tow the party line. Some interesting stuff in there too.I want to know what happened to Jesus’s brothers and sisters and Lilith looks hot,just google her.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Bible stories’ is closed to new replies.