Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • bib tight recommendations for a newbie..
  • dh
    Free Member

gents,

i’m finding myself doing nightrides more and more these days, so i’m after some bib tights to help me through the colder nights. currently i use normal lycra shorts, running tights over them, then waterproof baggies over the top and its a bit of a faff and not too comfty really.

i would only use them once a week , so they don’t need to be super expensive, but i would want them to have built in bum pad, then i’d put some baggies over the top if necessary for that gnar look.

any bargain but good ones out there?

DaveRambo

My experience is to spend about 50% more than you think you need to – as a minimum.

The best bib shorts I have are the most expensive, always have been as I’ve upgraded to better ones over the years.

The best ones fit better, work better and last longer.

nickdavies

I’m quite pleased with the funkier ones I’ve just picked up off merlin in the sale.

nick1962
    Free Member

I’m quite pleased with the funkier ones I’ve just picked up off merlin in the sale.

+1
    Seem really well made with quality that belies their price.

mcnultycop

£20 Decathlon ones are decent. £40 ones are actually really good, I got some yesterday and ride in them today.

Philby

dhb from wiggle are good value and offer decent comfort.

wiggles
    Free Member

My experience is to spend about 50% more than you think you need to – as a minimum.

The best bib shorts I have are the most expensive, always have been as I’ve upgraded to better ones over the years.

The best ones fit better, work better and last longer.

So no brands or recommendation then? just expensive is better ? 🙄
    Might as well ride in an armani suit if that is true 😉

didgerman
    Free Member

Proper job

These would do. Perfect for apres as well.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Endura Thrmolite!
    Have full length ones for the really cold days & knee length ones when it’s middling cold. They are comfy and durable. You can get them with pads & without so be sure you get the right ones……

Nobby

DHB on a budget, Pearl Izumi if you want to spend a bit more. IMHO, of course.

onandon
    Free Member

Cheap – sportful
    Not cheap – mavic

In my opinion 🙂

mogrim

Decathlon, but never their cheapest range – always go one up.

(Actually, this is a lie: the cheapest stuff is fine for gym/indoor use, just a bit crap for when you’re outside and the weather turns…)

I’ve got some Specialized 3/4s that have lasted well and are very comfy, too.

Wally

3rd Decathlon recommendation . Try them all on, no sales pressure. I use the model 7 range, one with gel support in varying thicknesses. Faultless for the price. Look out for sales. Can be £35 -£65 for same item.
    Bib link. £50 in store £65 on line
    Be prepared for a non sexy shock. I’m 5’11” and 10 stone and some – I look pregnant!

mogrim

Be prepared for a non sexy shock. I’m 5’11” and 10 stone and some – I look pregnant!

Not the most flattering of outfits, no! (And it’s probably unnecessary advice, but if you do go to Decathlon make sure you try the stuff on: it often comes up small on the sizing IME).

Crell
    Free Member

Cheap = dhb
    mid = morvelo (All I buy these days)

Can’t comment on anything more expensive as I’ve not tried them, but the benefit / comfort for me over the morvelo’s would be negligible as I think they’re really good. Also got a pair of Gore windstopper ones in a sale few years ago that have been great, though the liner is rubbish.
    Wasn’t particularly impressed with some Shutt 3/4’s I bought last year. Quality / construction was not up to the morvelo’s or DHB IMO.

LeeW

There was an article on Bikeradar a few weeks ago about getting the right pad/fit for bib shorts, have a read then try some on rather than buying off the internets blind – everyone who’s replied is almost certainly going to be a different shape to you so will have a different preference in manufacturer.

Try a local bike shop, they may have end of line team kit – I know one of my local shops does.

lunge

4th for the Decathlon ones, the expensive ones with the orange pad are brilliant.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

DHB are great. I have numerous pairs and use them for daily commuting.

If you want warmth then go for the ‘Roubaix’ model (not just DHB, most brands of bib shorts have a roubaix model) as this means they have the brushed fleecy inner which will keep you nice and warm.

hs125
    Free Member

Don’t underestimate how warm bib tights can be. I have a pair of dhb thermal bib longs I’d highly recommend, but is has not been cold enough (down south) for me to wear them yet this winter.

DanW
    Free Member

As others have already said DHB would be the default “budget” option. Lusso stuff is worth a look too and made in the UK I believe.

For the “best”, having tried many brands I tend to be using Mavic, Santini or Pearl Izumi most these days.

Anything with a hefty discount on Merlin or similar should be good

geoffj

dhb or northwave

dh
    Free Member

Thanks lads

captain-slow
    Free Member

4th for the Decathlon ones, the expensive ones with the orange pad are brilliant.

This /\

Edric64
    Free Member

40 quid Decathlon with the pad are really good ,got two pairs

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Make sure they’ve got a Kuku Penthouse…

DT78
    Free Member

Gore for me

ukbikerider
    Free Member

My first Bib Tights where also from Decathlon, great set, still have them but too large nowadays.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘bib tight recommendations for a newbie..’ is closed to new replies.