Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bib shorts/normal shorts or padded boxers? whats best?
  • renton
    Free Member

So I currently wear a pair of Madison shorts with normal boxers on underneath and Im suffering with some chaffage!!

I am comfy on my saddle so dont necessarily need a pad.

What would you recommend prdouct wise to have a look at?

Is a pad a benefit in any way or not?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Maybe your boxers are too small for you?.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I’m amazed how many men are too worried about wearing a padded pair of shorts…and even more who wear their pants between the padded shorts and their skin….. The result being chafing and pressure from the seams cutting in/rubbing.
    Seriously just a pair of padded shorts, next to the skin with a pair of baggies over the top…problem solved!

renton
    Free Member

My maddison shorts are just outers, no liner or pad!

Suggsey
    Free Member

But that’s why you’re getting sore. You can get padded boxers to go underneath but if your doing serious mileage the only sure way to stay comfy is with a chamois insert/pad.

renton
    Free Member

Ah ok I thought it was down to the seams rubbing on my boxers when they bumch up !

Whats a good budget pair of padded shorts then that you can get in larger sizes?

MSP

Craft cool bike boxers are pretty decent under baggies.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-cool-bike-boxer-1/

Depending on what you mean by “larger sizes” they go up to xxxl (but not at wiggle.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers for that MSP are there any decent quality padded lycra shorts I should look at?

lunge

Bibs, with no boxers underneath. For under £50 the Decathlon 700 series bibs are very, very good.

scotroutes

Aldi had some padded lycra cycle shorts on sale from Sunday – £12 or so. They’d be fine under your shorts.

drlex
    Free Member

I’ll second those craft shorts – ideal for commuting, too, as discrete under trousers.

renton
    Free Member

What about for longer rides of 3 to 4 hours ?

are they long in the leg?

lunge

The Craft stuff is fine, but really, if you’ve got to get something to stop chafing do it properly and buy some good bibs. I think the Decathlon stuff is brilliant but for a little less the On-One Race Line bibs are good too, the pads a bit thick for me and the body a bit short but they’re very nice shorts for £20 ish.

mtbtom
    Free Member

dhb bibs from wiggle are excellent, in my opinion. And pretty reasonably priced. Not aldi prices, but still good value.

MSP

The craft bike boxers are the best of the cheap stuff that I have tried. The pad is quite basic and thin but just seems to work. Most cheap stiff is cheap for a reason, had dhb stuff and it just falls apart very quickly, very poor quality.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ultimate comfort is a good quality pair of bib shorts that fit.
    Fit being the word, I tried on about 12 different pairs before picking out 3 that were right. Having used normal inner shorts before that they are better at not digging in round the waist and being in the right place.
    “Normal” boxers/shorts etc. just have too many seams in the wrong places and move far too much.

lunge

Oh, and please, please don’t wear any kind of underwear beneath your bibs/shorts. Please. Uncomfortable, horrible VPL, chafing, just generally nasty.

dudeofdoom

The on-one padded boxers arent too bad bu tbh in the heat nothing beats bib’s..

Ive had NZO dobies in the past which are a tight short with a felt pad which are really nice if you have a few quid and dont want the huggies effect.

alimarsh
    Free Member

Tenn outdoors padded boxers, can get them brand new on ebay for about 7 quid and they’re fantastic

psycorp
    Free Member

Bibs are great, until you need a pee. That’s the only downside I’ve found after I switched from normally padded lycra shorts. I can second the recommendation for the On One bibs, well made and comfy padding.

brassneck

I don’t know if those Craft ones are like this generally, but I bought a couple of pairs cheap in Halfords – they were marked as L but were way way too tight on my 34″ ass. So check sizing carefully, maybe mine were mixups and hence cheap.

I prefer normal shorts to bibs. Kidney stones, you see…

Junkyard
    Free Member

avoid bibs unless your belly means shorts fall down
    Annoying if you ever need a piss.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Annoying if you ever need a piss.

The thing I’ve found with bib shorts is that the front is lower and it’s easy to piss. So either yours are very high cut or something else…

superleggero
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing Endura padded lyrca boxers under my shorts and can vouch for them. They work particularly well for all dayers in the summer.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-mesh-boxer-ss15/rp-prod59915?gs=1&gclid=CPLz6oHjucYCFUkUwwodrvAGWQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bib shorts/normal shorts or padded boxers? whats best?’ is closed to new replies.