• This topic has 24 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bib shorts – better than shorts and liner?
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

Never feel that comfortable in a liner and then shorts as the liner never seems to be a great fit.

Are bib shorts better?

Any recommendations?

mcnultycop

Bibs are a must for me under baggies.

I wear Decathlon, Endura, on one…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes, better in every way.

aracer
    Free Member

Another yes. I sometimes wear baggies with a liner when I’m doing something involving time not riding, but with enough riding that I don’t want to just be in normal pants. However for anything which is a ride then always bibs (with or without baggies over the top depending on what I’m doing).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes. Spent most of my 10 years riding with proper roadie shorts under baggies which is better than a liner/short combo. Bib’s are better again.

BillMC

Wear just eg Lusso bib shorts all the time, much less likely than baggies to get caught on your saddle or rub and irritate.

vincienup
    Free Member

Yes.

After a particularly climbtastic summer a few years ago followed by a holiday in the highlands, I got over myself and tried bibs. They really are that much better. Muscle groups around your lower back work better and your bike position changes slightly for the better.

I’m a fan of the Planet X cheapies. The proline 365x 3/4 bibs are great for autumn /winter and the clubman ones for spring summer, the pad is good and they’re usually on sale under twenty quid a go. They last well too. Sizing is uk normal not euroroadie.

Rubber_Buccaneer

A couple of downsides to bibs

1. Some of my baggies don’t stay up so well/need hitching up (I just don’t have the hips)
    2. Can be tricky to take a pee if the front is high

they are comfy though

faustus

Yup, haven’t worn anything else this year since deciding to wear bibs off-road. Mostly under baggies but not always, so much more comfortable. Also means the baggies can be very light weight and not feel cumbersome. Not going back to liners again, and will just change to waterproof shorts and bib tights for winter.

EDIT – agree with slight downsides as above though…

shortcut

Way more comfortable and you don’t get any bare lower back where your shorts and jersey somehow fail to meet.

Your friends will probably be grateful for this.

warpcow
    Free Member

Yes, but also agree with the slight downsides.

momo

I’ve been wearing bibs for a few years now, always under baggies, nobody needs to see me in lycra!

I found that normal liner shorts always seemed to be in the wrong place, especially the Endura clickfast ones.

You will need to pee the moment the bibs hit your shoulders though!

Another upside is no more muddy water down the bum crack when it’s wet out!

martinhutch

I’m a convert this year – much, much better than liners. Slightly inconvenient if you’ve got the squits, though.

aracer
    Free Member

You need:

or some of these:

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

A couple of downsides to bibs

1. Some of my baggies don’t stay up so well/need hitching up (I just don’t have the hips)
    2. Can be tricky to take a pee if the front is high

they are comfy though

Pretty much this. I also get mocked for bending over like I’m opening shop for a new same-sex partner every time I take a leak in the woods. But it’s a small price to pay, certainly on longer rides.

andeh

Yes, they are nicer, but it’s much more awkward to take a poop.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Yes, they are nicer, but it’s much more awkward to take a poop.

Poop a lot when riding? Must remember to be careful when wandering into the woods for a pee.

Bibs under baggies, always. Much more comfortable. ZipVit bibs are a bargain for the quality

I’ve never found a pair of clip in shorts that worked and now avoid any baggies that come supplied with them.

chvck
    Free Member

Just too be different, I don’t find them more comfortable but I find liner and baggies good anyway. I also have bladder and, to a lesser extent, bowel issues and they’re a nightmare with that.

andeh

Poop a lot when riding? Must remember to be careful when wandering into the woods for a pee

There’s nothing more liberating than playing bear-in-the-woods 😀

…..but really, often I’ll turn up to ride somewhere early morning, already in my kit, having just drunk a pint of coffee on the drive 😯 It’s a bit weird having to remove my shirt to take a dump.

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 for more comfy but also more annoying with the baggies sliding down over them. Some baggies have silicon grippers on the inside of the waistband but sadly these are a rarity. Plenty of bibs out there without high fronts that are easy to pee in…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bibs are best. Even better if you ditch the baggies.

mrhoppy

Poop a lot when riding?

Don’t underestimate the laxative effect of bibs, the moment they’re on I’ll need a dump even if I’ve only just been. It’s uncanny.

whitestone
    Free Member

Always bibs, short or long depending on season. Will only add baggies if the weather isn’t playing ball or I know I’ll be riding on narrow bridleways/tracks with lots of brambles, nettles, etc., when the extra protection is useful.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’ve been using bibs, shorts and tights, for 25+ years. I wear baggies over the top for off road mainly as the baggies are more resistant to crashing than lycra 🙂

Great in the winter as they keep your kidneys warm and better IMHO than liners as there’s no gap. They do get a bit warm in the summer and are a slight pain when you need to pee but the advantages, for me, far outweigh the downsides.

FOG

This is one of those personal opinion things that I definitely come down anti.
    However uncomfortable a liner, it’s still not as bad as having you grollocks massaged back up your inguinal canal like a sumo wrestler. I will concede it might be my bodily proportions, but all bibs are very uncomfortable on me. I thought it might be a brand thing but after trying a fair few they are all the same!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bib shorts – better than shorts and liner?’ is closed to new replies.