Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bib shorts – a very stupid question
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Considering trying some bib shorts to see what all the fuss is about. I was just wondering how they size in terms of taking into account different heights, given that the bib bits go over the shoulders and don’t seem to have any form of adjustment?

I have a 34″ waist, so normally take L in most brands of cycling shorts, but I’m 6’5. Am I going to struggle to get any that fit?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Go to a shop. Ask for advice. try some on.
    I’m glad I did, I’d have gone for mediums, but shop suggest large would be better for me for the length of the straps.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

There is some variation between different makes so worth trying a few on if you can. My assos shorts are much shorter in the body than my pearl izumi shorts. But oddly neither are particularly uncomfortable, they seem to manufacture a fair bit of leeway into the fit.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Its all stretchy so I tend to go for the waist fitment to ensure its not all baggy. Worst case order a pair of each size and send back the incorrect ones.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I’m 6” and find the shoulder straps a bit tight on my large B-Twin ones.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I have a 34″ waist, so normally take L in most brands of cycling shorts, but I’m 6’5. Am I going to struggle to get any that fit?

I’m fairly close to your measurements and I’d say you should be okay.

Though do bear in mind when you first pull bibs on and stand up they’ll feel completely too short in the bib section. You need to get into a riding position and magically they’ll feel a good fit. Never had a set I’d thought were too short in the straps.

Scapegoat

uwe-r – Member
    I’m 6” and find the shoulder straps a bit tight

Still time for an edit…… 😀

Keef
    Free Member

not sure myself,but, hey,the sun’s out….

ashfanman
    Free Member

Go to a shop. Ask for advice. try some on.

That’s the plan for this weekend. Just thought I’d ask any potentially stupid questions anonymously. 😀

I’m fairly close to your measurements and I’d say you should be okay.

What brand(s) have you found fit you best?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

What brand(s) have you found fit you best?

Gore and Pearl Izumi are fine on me. Others I’ve tried like Castelli, Santini even DHB are fine strap-wise too.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Fit varies between brands as does how stretchy the bib straps are

Some brands (like assos) also do a long and short leg version of the same size. Also other brands (like skins) have a size chart that goes by height and weight.

Generally though i go by height, if you are average (or either a bit skinny or a bit overweight) then its the easiest way to measure up as bibs are more forgiving around the waist than other sorts of shorts.

Edric64
    Free Member

Im 6FT 4 and some bib shorts nearly cut me it two as the straps are so short

Lifer
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi on sale at Sports Pursuit at the moment!

ashfanman
    Free Member

Im 6FT 4 and some bib shorts nearly cut me it two as the straps are so short

Which brands have you found tend to have longer straps?

corroded
    Free Member

I’m 6’1 with 32″ waist and a XL Assos bib short fits perfectly; that brand comes up small. Definitely worth the cash though.

edhornby

prendas – ring them and ask for advice, then buy on their recommendation, receive said package very quickly and be very happy with purchase 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

dhb from Wiggle; excellent value and very comfy. Don’t go for a thick gel pad, go for a pad that has enough stiffness that it won’t wrinkle up.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bib shorts – a very stupid question’ is closed to new replies.