Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • BHF South Downs Way 100 mile randonee – anyone riding it next Saturday?
  • limeybloke
    Free Member

BHF South Downs Way 100 mile randonee – anyone riding it next Saturday?

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Not me (off on hols) but 3 from our group are. 5am start I hear!

Tiger6791

Yep, I am 😐

Clink

Meant to be but been out with injury on leg/knee for last 6 weeks – can't decide whether to do it or not….

wwaswas

Was a bit surprised when I saw the signs out this last Saturday and assumed it was then but they've clearly just jumped the gun on signage.

I don't think I've seen the SDW as dry as it is now in the 10 years I've been riding it. Finding traction on hills in the dust is getting quite tricky with a singlespeed.

Tiger6791

I don't think I've seen the SDW as dry as it is now

Hope it stays dry!

Last time I did the SDW was in Feb and it was not dry.

limeybloke
    Free Member

Wait, you mean there is signage this year! Makes a change!

wwaswas

well it said 'Dangerous road crossing' – where the SDW crosses the road at Devils Dyke. That was about it though.

The SDW is 'fairly' well marked, on the whole, though.

Tiger6791

Has anybody done it this year already (June one) are there checkpoints, marshalls or anything on the route?

Do you use the disputed route or the temporary one round Warnford?
    the temporary one is a pain)

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

I entered but am unable to do it now. Have all the entry bumpf if anyone wants it? pm me…

wwaswas

Tiger6791 – when I did it there was one person at the Dyke to sign in the 65 milers and sign out the 35 milers going to Eastbourne and then again soemone at the water stop just past Rodmell but it's designed/promoted to be done 'self supported'.

toooldat54
    Free Member

Tiger6791 – I did the 100mile in June, there were 7 checkpoints and all were mercifully handing out water bottles on what was a very hot day. The route was the Warnford / Old Winchester Hill Lane route. Not much in the way of BHF signage but the SDW finger posts were adequate at the speed that I was going! Went astray once which added 15 minutes to a very long day.

Paceman
    Free Member

Going solo on Wednesday, did the BHF one last year, plenty of marshalling etc and the water stops are pretty hard to miss.

Tiger6791

Was more along the do you have to get dabbed / card stamped at checkpoints?

Paceman
    Free Member

If you're doing the official BHF ride then yes, you do have to check-in at the checkpoints.

Tiger6791

So next question is where are they? Do you get a map?

Tiger6791

anyone?

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

wasnt is last weekend 25th??

wwaswas

for a map I'd get this;

http://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/South_Downs_Way.html#aYHWRSD

Was a bit of rain overnight near Brighton – will have damped the dust down a bit I guess.

toooldat54
    Free Member

Tiger6791- yes they give you a map. In June their wristbands and scanner system was not working so there was a physical recording of the numbers at each checkpoint as follows;Queen Elizabeth Country Park, Cocking, Bury, Steyning,Devils's Dyke, Itford Farm, Alfriston then just 9 miles to the finish.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘BHF South Downs Way 100 mile randonee – anyone riding it next Saturday?’ is closed to new replies.