Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • BHF London-Brighton cycle 21 June
  • enfht
    Free Member

Has anyone done this before, any advice from anyone?

Is transport getting home a nightmare? Is all the ride on tarmac? Are there any killer uphill sections? How long should it take a reasonably fit cyclist? Are silly costumes obligatory? etc Thanks

theflatboy
    Free Member

done it a few times, it’s not difficult really – fair way but you don’t exactly have to go fast. there a few moderate climbs but nothing too dramatic, the main one that everyone talks about and that is a test is the climb up to the ditchling beacon. it’s the notorious bit of the ride, as it is the big climb over the south downs so comes almost at the end. you can see it from miles away as well. it’s not really that bad – steepish but not too long, and once you’re at the top it’s virtually downhill all the way to the end.

nice ride, good fun. lots of rehydrating spots along the way and nice countryside. if it’s sunny you’ll get sunburnt.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Has anyone done this before, any advice from anyone?

Yes. Enjoy it…don’t bother racing and just enjoy the atmosphere of cycling with so many other people

Is transport getting home a nightmare?

Trains won’t take bikes so it can be…get a lift back

Is all the ride on tarmac?

Yes

Are there any killer uphill sections?

Ditchling Beacon is the worse but part of the problem is cycling around all the walkers

How long should it take a reasonably fit cyclist?

Never really timed myself…6 hours lesurely with a nice lunch stop

Are silly costumes obligatory?

No

Thanks

You’re welcome

theflatboy
    Free Member

oh, and i think the fastest i’ve done it without really trying for a quick time is about 3.5 hours or thereabouts.

theflatboy
    Free Member
    tinsy
    Free Member

There are coaches to take you and bikes back to London, for a fee.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the other thing i’d say is try to get the earliest possible start time you can, as the later you leave the more people are ahead of you so the busier it is.

enfht
    Free Member

cheers for the info

singletracksurfer

There is an off-road version if you fancy it – can’t find it on the British Heart Foundation site yet though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘BHF London-Brighton cycle 21 June’ is closed to new replies.