Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • BFe or Slackline 631
  • orangewinger
    Free Member

So, looking for a new steel frame to run with some 120mm forks and I’ve narrowed it down to the Cotic BFe (19″) or the Slackline 631 (18″). I’m 6ft1 have an Orange Five but fancy something a bit different. General riding is chilterns, swinley and occasional trips to wales or malverns.

I think a Soul would be the ideal choice but I can’t stretch that far financially really. So which should I buy?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dunno about the Stanton, they look like fun. The Cotic is probably a better shout for general riding about though, a better XC position on a 19″ I’d imagine. Plus there customer service is decent.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Got a Large Bfe built to downhill spec …bugger to lug up ascents but descends beautifully took it to Cwn Carn and it did me proud

with a bit if trepidation I am taking it to Scotland for 6 days… so will know how I get on

think a lot depends on how you set the bike up…

Soul would be good for all day riding

kudos100
    Free Member

Slackline seems like it would be more playful, better for messing about in the woods and jumps and manuals.

As per DTF the Bfe would probably be a bit better as an all rounder with slightly longer chainstays and (I think) a slightly higher BB.

I’d have the stanton, but then I like to jump and piss about as much as possible.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m the same height as you and I’d reconsider the large BFe. I’m on a medium which is fine with a 400mm post. I’ve not ridden a larger one but I think it would be too big (for its intended use).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Superficial – Member

I’m the same height as you and I’d reconsider the large BFe. I’m on a medium which is fine with a 400mm post. I’ve not ridden a larger one but I think it would be too big (for its intended use).

I’ve had a large, and I used to have one of the old style ones in a medium.

The large was far better for xc style bike rides. With the saddle down and the forks wound down, it was still fun round inners/GT/on jumps.

The medium was neither here nor there – too big for proper fun jumpy stuff, too small for efficient xc.

orangewinger
    Free Member

At the moment I wonder if the BFe is a better buy as it’s cheaper, although it does appear to have steeper head angle but slacker seat angle and about 2 ounces lighter.

trickydisco
    Free Member
    peterich
    Free Member

Ive got a med bfe im 5’11” and it seams to fit fine they are quite long so you don’t bang your knees on the bars for uphills
    ive riden it at trail center stuff and love it ( may even sell my spicy )
    yet to hit some dirt jumps and a long xc ride but think it will handle both well
    I will say it feels heavy but I think its my fairly cheap build

jambalaya
    Free Member

Medium BFe here, I’m 5′ 10″ so IMO you’d want a large. I have adjustable 150/120 forks and the bike rides well either way. I have a FS but the BFe is the bike of choice for most of my riding around Surrey Hills and road trips to Peaks etc. everything from 30 min spins to 6 hours.. As you say a Soul in theory might be the better choice, I have never understood the price difference. You will not be disappointed in the Cotic and it’s a great company with active hands on management. As of today you can buy the bike and wear the T-shirt 8)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘BFe or Slackline 631’ is closed to new replies.