Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • BFe / Hardcore hardtail…
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Been thinking about getting something harder hitting with a slacker head angle recently for riding more DH type trails with a tool more suited for the job.

Currently ride a Soul and love it to pieces but sometimes I could do with a bit more slack on the front. Thinking about a BFe especially as they look so nice in that blue and they are slightly cheaper now (my wife even likes the idea of my wanging all the parts from her bike onto my Soul which will allow both of us to use the Soul).

But looking at it is the geometry that much different to the Soul? The Head angle looks similar if you negate the effects of longer forks on the Bfe's measurements – I'm going to be running my 130mm forks on the new bike which I currently run on the Soul. What other differences are there?

(Blimey – just hijacked my own post)

Anyway, been thinking about the BFe… blah… blah…blah

Is there anything else I should consider and why? DB Alpine? DMR? NS Bikes?

dicky
    Free Member

I think the geometry is the same on the Soul and BFe for a given fork length. If you plan to run the same forks on the BFe as the Soul I'm not sure it will solve the 'I want it slacker' problem.

GaryLake
    Free Member

The new BFe at least is a degree slacker than the Soul…

alpin
    Free Member

Alpine is a good bet, too.

have one for sale if you're the right size. frame is 15/21".

Vortexracing

got a Soul and an Alpine.

I also considered the BFe mainly due to it being longer in the TT than my alpine (I bought a 15/21 Alpine) but after asking on here, I lightend the Soul (replaced the Pikes with some 120mm Rebas) and built the Alpine burly with 2.5" High rollers and a 66SL fork.

The alpine is a VERY capable bike that appears to get better the faster you go.

TBH either the BFE, Alpine or others seem to be very good.

I use my Alpine for 2 hours blasts round Rivvy etc. with big sticky tyres and a weight of 32lbs it's considerably harder on the legs than the Soul, but is good fun.

Be honest with yourself about what you are going to use it for, if it's for a play bike that you can pedal then a BFe or Alpine etc will be ideal.

The big bit of advice I was given was to make it different from the Soul.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Gary – these measurments are based on two different forks – 100 and 130mm – so think the geo is roughly the same but hoping I'm slightly wrong – although I do wonder what is stopping me running 140-160mm forks on my soul if the geo is the same as the bFe.

Alpin – Show some pics but won't be able to buy it until new year once a few bits are out of the way.

dicky
    Free Member

GaryLake – Member
    The new BFe at least is a degree slacker than the Soul…

I don't think that's correct, if I understood the Cotic website and the discussion I had with them at Cycleshow it's the same geometry for a given fork length, which is what the OP was asking about.

Vortexracing

The Alpine is quite slack when built with 160mm forks, it took me a bit of time to adjust, but it don't half go downhill quick.

TBH I have mine set at 150mm most of the time.

poppa
    Free Member

@Bushwacked:

You can run 140mm forks on a Soul, I think that is their recommended max. travel. The reason you can't run 160mm forks on a Soul is probably because it is not designed structurally to take the extra leverage/load.

alpin
    Free Member

@ Bushwacked

email me at: sod_the_taxman(at) yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk

bungalistic
    Free Member

My mates BFe is pretty slack when he runs the Talas as 160mm and feels petty darned nice. I ride the NS surge frame and that also has a slack head angle with longer forks, tho it feels pretty good with my pikes tbh.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Fair enough, stand corrected!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Chucky – Good post – I'd try to make it different but similar – build the Soul quite lightweight so my wife (and I) enjoy riding it but make the BFE that slightly more burly – Big forks, tyres, twin and Bash, short stem etc etc.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Mythic Scirroco, Cove Stiffee, Santa Cruz Camelean are all hardcore aliminium hardtails.

How about an On One 456 Summer if you want a steel ride?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I did have an Alpine but have recently replaced it with a BFe. The BFe is more of an all rounder than the dialled I'd say. Slightly steeper head angle, lower BB and shorter stays, also a longer top tube aswell.

The Alpine is an absolute monster downhill, was able to keep up with the full sussers in France on mine when it had 150mm 66's. However, I am riding much less downhill now so I gave it to a mate and bought a BFe which I thought more suitable for XC but would also be strong enough when I want to ride downhill tracks and jumps.

Only thing I'd say though, unless your riding very rough or very long downhills, sack off the long travel forks. Stick with 130mm or less, much more fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘BFe / Hardcore hardtail…’ is closed to new replies.