Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Beware the Small Block 8
  • neninja
    Free Member

Went on a hardtail ride with a mate and had Small Block 8’s on which were superb to start with as the trails were mostly dry.

Was totally loving them even in some loose mud. I even commented to my mate how good they felt. Well right until we hit some sticky clay mud which immediately filled the tread and stuck like glue. This was immediately followed by a fairly fast descent where the trail was fairly over grown. Was having great fun right up to the point I lost the front on a hidden mud patch and went flying.

Over confidence is a dangerous thing (both in your own ability and also in fast rolling tyres).

cynic-al
    Free Member

erm…been riding long?

neninja
    Free Member

I forgot to mention there had been a pub stop………….

Northwind

I’m a big fan of the smallblock, it’s a great tyre. Just, not on the front, is all.

patriotpro
    Free Member

neninja – Member
    I forgot to mention there had been a pub stop………….

You sure it was the tyre’s fault ❓ 🙂

Karl33to
    Free Member

great tyre, but only ever on the back – nice with something like an x-king on the front

br
    Free Member

I stuck them on my sons bike, better he learns young how to deal with slides 😉

takisawa2

I binned my FS badly last year when one let go on Cannocks Monkey trail, so know only too well of their limitations. Doesn’t stop me using them though. They are great if they suit the conditions.

charliedontsurf

I race the clunker dh race on big apples, a slick, it teaches you to drift, slide, bleed and appreciate tyres like the small block.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Small Block 8s? Pah. They’re like tractor tyres compared with these babies

(ace on the rear, no way would I use one up front though)

binners

I was toying with the idea of a pair recently

Then I remembered where I lived

D0NK

wot binners said.

You just don’t get your moneys worth out of summer tyres round here. Mud specific tyres tho, now there’s a worthy investment.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I rode DMR motos (less girpy than a small block) for a couple of years, front and back. I bought them as commuting tyres but they had such a good big volume fast rolling feel I ended up leaving them on all the time. Massively improved my riding as they would lose grip consistently and reliably at the first sign of trouble you learn to anticipate it and correct and balance things out. I have moved on to X Kings now which are a similar beast but with more grip and better quality.

Keva
    Free Member

small block 8s are ace, front and back. They’re even better when they’re a couple of years old and worn down a bit. I’ve had my fastest times when using those on the Giant XTC.

GEDA
    Free Member

I will never use they again. Really thin sidewalls and one exploded on me when I was doing the Kielder 100 last year. That was one long cold and wet walk to Newcastleton.

hora
    Free Member

Ardent. It answers all prayers except for full mud..

nwgiles

I’ve got some small block 8.
    lovely summer tyres.

plus at the moment they look great hung up in the garage

cookeaa

I always think of SB8s as more of a Dirt jumpy sumer tire like Moto RTs or K-Rads, great on flowy hardpack and dry trails, not really one for the mud though…

crotchrocket
    Free Member

SB8 are awesome!
    I run one with a worn out race king on the back – super fast!
    Just needs good strong core and reactions of a cat.

Obviously it helps if you are sober :/

fuzzhead
    Free Member

not one for the mud, but IMHO SB8s are pretty ace for trail centres/summer riding

flange
    Free Member

I’ve raced xc on SB8’s all year and they’ve been great. Apart from at Dalby. And hylands. And SITs…

rewski
    Free Member

Running sb8 rear and slant6 front, been great over the past few weeks of dry weather on SDW.

alibongo001

Great tyres the small block 8s but you have to know their limitatoins.

Clearly not great for mud (especially clay)

Another issue we found out last year during a descent of Mulhacen in Sierra Nevada, Spain is that the side walls on the middle size are laughably thin. We had about 20 punctures between 6 of us!

If we ever have another summer I’ll be looking forward to putting them back on again

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Beware the Small Block 8’ is closed to new replies.