Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Better photo prints for possible sale
  • molgrips
    Free Member

What printer would be better and/or more economical on ink than a typical decent home printer? A3 seems like it could be worth investing in, but is there any sort of technology to look for? Is all inkjet much of a much?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Why not just use a print service?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

This.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vorlich
    Free Member

Guy I know uses The Print Space.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

We have 3 A3 photo printers for our work. However, everything gets sent to the lab / printers. It’s just a lot cheaper. The Inkjets are for emergency / quick turnaround jobs and the cost we charge reflects that.

leffeboy

The other problem with inkjets is that they aren’t really suited to one-off occasional prints as they normally do a cleaning cycle when they start up that eats ink 🙁 . If you only do one or two prints a day you don’t get much out of a cartridge.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I have had no problem with PhotoBox. I have seen some here questioning their colour accuracy, but I’ve not found a problem (and that’s after a career in video and film post production including working for Technicolor as the nightshift facilities manager). I guess if you wanted to display prints at a venue where you can control the lighting and therefore the only variable is everyone’s individual colour perception then colour fidelity might be an issue?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I highly recommend Digitalabs. Email them and ask for a colour card before exporting your images.

molgrips
    Free Member

You tell me, I have no idea. Is it cheap?

As for colour accuracy – I doubt it’s an issue.

ampthill

http://www.proamimaging.com/pricelist.php

18 by 12 inch still £1.20 and the best quality print service I have ever used

You do have to do your own resive and convert to profile but that is in many ways a benefit

you get back what you sent

A good inkjet might do better quality but at a much higher price

Three_Fish
    Free Member

As for colour accuracy – I doubt it’s an issue.

Why not?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’d be an issue if someone really wanted a picture to exactly match their curtains or something.

But a flower is still just as pretty even if the reds are slightly pinker than they looked on the computer.

vinnyeh

Colour accuracy is an issue. That’s why we have monitor calibration and icc profiles.

Maybe you’re happy with your flower having a colour cast, but you might be less happy when the cast affects the background.

If you’re concerned about printing costs, and want to print largish quantities, invest in a decent ciss system for a printer. Needs a bit of research though- there’s a big variation in the quality of inks, and how well the printer can deal with them. Used to be that the majority, if not all the high quality setups used Epson printers.

5thElefant
    Free Member

White backgrounds are probably the most obvious issue. Blues and yellows creeping in can look weird.

If you’re doing PP brightness is a problem too. It’s easy to have your monitor brightness too high and dull prints.

creamegg
    Free Member

Molgrips… are you anywhere near Cardiff? If so I can recommend Davies Printers, Splott. Very friendly bunch, will even give you a full lab tour showing all the different printers, papers and finishes. Good on cost too

Three_Fish
    Free Member

EDIT slow to type this, hence the repetition of posts above

What about brightness, tone and contrast? I guess if you’re using a ‘true colour’ monitor and know that your printer is using the same calibration, including perhaps most importantly WB, or if it just doesn’t matter to you, then it’s probably not an issue; but otherwise, if you have the chance to calibrate with your printer before using them, why wouldn’t you?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Better photo prints for possible sale’ is closed to new replies.