Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Better half wants to set up a website – help!!
  • badgerbater
    Free Member

As title, she’s after the best website design package; preferrably free and easy to use (for a compplete novice), although she’s prepared to pay a nominal amount if need be. Also want’s to register a .co.uk domain name; talk me through the process. Would be grateful for any help on this.

poly
    Free Member

Total beginner? Go to cloudnext buy domain and hosting. Install (one click) either concrete5 or WordPress… job done.

donsimon
    Free Member

+1 WordPress or Fasthosts.

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

Go to 123-reg.co.uk register the domain. Look at 5quidhost.co.uk for the hosting. You don’t need a fancy package to get great results. Learn from first principals she’ll get a much better result that she can actually maintain. Notepad++ is all you need. Avoid dreamweaver and the like.

For a good starting point try twitter bootstrap to build an actual site. If she just wants to get online try wordpress or maybe joomla you can get quite a sophisticated site without a load of coding.

If she really really wants to avoid any coding then look at adobe muse which lets you design the site and produces the markup automagically.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Don’t overlook the price of a decent lighting set up, as domestic lights won’t flatter her. And make sure the house is tidy – a mess in the background is very distracting.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I buy my domains from http://www.fasthosts.co.uk. On wordpress, which I also use, you will end up with a url such as badgerbater.wordpress.com. On fastshosts, what you do is simply redirect the url to this url, and bob’s your uncle.

What is the website for? On wordpress, you can set up a few permanent pages as well as use it as a blog.

I would set up a test wordpress site first and play around with all the options on that first. If you want in the future, wordpress blogs can be adapted by professionals to something more suited to the website’s needs.

Have a look at http://www.transitionconsciousness.org (I currently have a cycling article there so not totally off topic).

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I use free These to buy domains from.

For hosting I use These for hosting because it’s free.. You do have to dial up to uplad so it’s only worth the effort if you aren’t uploading too frequently. It is only local rate charges though and I’ve uploaded entire web sites with 6 or 7 pages in less than an hour.

I use dream weaver for web sites and just cheat by getting a website template, usually from Here.

leffeboy

I like t captjon

It would really help to know what kind of site it is, e.g. Does she want to host ‘photos’ or sell products or service. How often update, how many pages etc

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I don’t understand why people think this stuff should be free or cheap, and refuse to make any investment in it 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

What does she want to do with it?

joeydeacon
    Free Member

I’m a web designer. Use Heart Internet for the hosting, and 123-reg for the domain name. Use WordPress for the website and then find a theme you like and install it.

Set the Permalinks so they show the postname (i.e. yourname.co.uk/pagetitle instead of yourname.co.uk?pageid=2 etc )

Install a few plugins such as All in One SEO, and optimise each page – read up a little on SEO.

Update the site regularly – good original content is king.

Then in a year or so if you’re making good money, pay a company to make you a custom theme.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Thank you for the great responses so far. She’s managed to register a domain name with Cloud Next. Basically, she is offering a service. She wants a homepage with links to other pages which will include some imagery. She wants contact with visitors to the site via email and blogs as well as setting up a paypal service. It looks as though WordPress might be a good option?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Avoid dreamweaver and the like.

Crap advice – why make life hard for yourself

Cougar

WordPress is a very good option. It’s dead simple and there’s a million plugins to extend its capability.

I see little reason to design a ‘my first website’ from scratch. It’s difficult and will look like crap.

Pook

mebbe you could put ’em on a website or something

leffeboy

Could use WordPress but could also just use a Google site and then you would get the email at the same time (athough you can use google for email and WordPress for the other stuff) with PicasaWeb (part of Google) for the images and Blogger (part of Google) for the blogging. Domain name from one of the other services already mentioned. Paypal is seperate and easy enough to set up.

Try playing with the Google sites to see how easy it it to use. The link to a free apps account is here https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/standard/new3

eyerideit
    Free Member

Another vote for WordPress.

Fill your boots here

Urls an hosting you’ll have to pay for.

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

Crap advice – why make life hard for yourself

Orly? The amount of crap it generates actually makes life more difficult for you in the long run. Plus if it falls over/won’t work in different browsers you’ll have no concept of why or how to fix it. It has it’s place and that place isn’t to learn web design.

Cougar

+1

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I agree with random – pay nothing and you will get not much more in return.

TimS
    Free Member

+1 for a hosted, managed solution rather than making your own from scratch if you have no experience.

http://www.squarespace.com have a really nice solution.

Zoolander
    Free Member

I’m using serif web plus at the moment for a new site – its basic enough for beginners and can be had for a reasonably cheap price in eBay, amazon and the like.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Many thanks for all your responses. Will digest and “feel” our way forwards, taking on board comments regarding hosting and website design, etc.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Orly? The amount of crap it generates actually makes life more difficult for you in the long run. Plus if it falls over/won’t work in different browsers you’ll have no concept of why or how to fix it. It has it’s place and that place isn’t to learn web design.

they want to build a simple site, therefore a simple route would be better than trying to learn coding from scratch

M6TTF
    Free Member

they want to build a simple site, therefore a simple route would be better than trying to learn coding from scratch

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Better half wants to set up a website – help!!’ is closed to new replies.