Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Better alternative to describing something as 'gay'.
  • tazzymtb

Joey, so very good and heard in playgrounds all over the country the day after Blue peter got their pet crip on telly. unfortunately it only applies to a certain age range that remembers such things

samuri
    Free Member

I’m going bald at the back and have terrible eyesight.

Neither are lifestyle choices.

Tell your pupils they are massively welcome to use the term ‘Slaphead’ or ‘speccy four eyes’ to describe something that is rubbish, pants or just plain not their scene. I won’t care.

Cougar

As a vegetarian, I’m deeply offended.

Ah, no, wait, I forgot, I have a sense of humour and some perspective. As such, I applaud their creativity. MuddyDwarf nailed it in the second post.

I’d like to thank whoever just reminded me of “rem” btw, and by schoolboy logic its truncating and subsequent embiggening back to “rembrant.” I must drop that in conversation for old times’ sake at some point.

Does anyone else remember “powsy” to mean flimsy, crap and generally ‘gay’ or was that just terribly local?

maxray
    Free Member

Glad I’m not a kid anymore.. heartless barstewards! When you look back you almost feel ashamed :S

I am pretty sure most of these terms were not coined in a deliberate antisemitic or homophobic way, infact our parents probably have a lot to answer for in terms of what we pick up on as children and mould into our own terms.

M6TTF
    Free Member

‘Ya Deacon!’ was also popular when I were a lad

scruff
    Free Member

Gay really means ‘nice’. So as bad = good then gay = rubbish. Im sure Run DMC will agree.

DrP

I got stick from a long lost relative in oz because I made a comment on facebook ‘ gears are for queers’. she went on about how her brother was gay etc… I apologised, but in reality the language changes so much that it want even remotely related to being a homosexual (as the original use of queer wasn’t either).
    Its like the word ‘lame’ – no one means an injured or disabled person do they?

DrP

Ps – I didn’t ask if the brother actually had gears, but would have strengthened my case…..

maccruiskeen

What about “SCAB”, that word will be used a lot in the near future.Especially by the union reps.

The ‘S’ word has been considered non-pc amongst Union leaders ever since that incident where the hemophiliac tried to cross a picket line, was hit by a brick and bled to death while the surrounded strikers chanted ‘SCAB SCAB SCAB’

Having a hereditary blood clotting defect isn’t a lifestyle choice

bikebouy
    Free Member

It seems a little uneasy to use the term “ghey” in this social environment. Kids have yet to define the social acceptance regulations humans use to get on with each other and using terms like this simply pushes their own acceptance of social boundaries. It’s the norm.
    But by adding the “h” into the word makes it differentiate itself from it’s origins of “gay”. As we know the word “gay” (minus the h) was derived from happiness (either sex) and as Man became more aware of his sexuality and the social aspects of “coming out” and being accepted by the majority of the human race by way of his sexuality. By adding the “h” the term became less derogatory, and became a word used where once it wouldn’t have been acceptable to do such. But there are two words, ghey and gay, each has it’s own definition..
    I’d get them to make sure they use the correct word appropriate for the sentence and meaning, explain each definition to them so they understand the implications of using inappropriate words to describe something/someone. If the word ghey is used, make sure they pronounce the “h”.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s because lame actually means poor and useless. That’s why we don’t call disabled people ‘lame’.

Gay is specifically derived from homophobia I think, even though its meaning has long shifted. We used to call people gaybos when I was about 10.

Spin
    Free Member

Vegans?

Bloody Houmousexuals

Cougar

The ‘S’ word has been considered non-pc amongst Union leaders

*applause*

Bloody Houmousexuals

*more applause*

Cougar

We used to call people gaybos when I was about 10.

That’s a point. Whatever happened to “gaylord”?

Kids of today, no creativity.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s interesting how the meaning of words change.

Gay used to mean gay, then it meant gay, and now it means gay.

Depending on what generation you’re from you ‘know’ what it means. But it doesn’t.

Give it another 20 years and we’ll all accept what gay means. But we’ll know it doesn’t.

DezB
    Free Member

This thread made me discover this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_words_not_widely_used_in_the_United_States

I am happy.

(Coincidently, David Watts was on my iPod this morning – “he is so gay and fancy free..”

tracknicko
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSD7jb-7×4[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

TBH as a vegan I am not sure what calling something vegan actualy means or exactly why my moral stance to animal welfare/eating is somehow used as an insult. Can anyone enlighten me ? Dons flame proof suit [ we dont all do trail quests].I am not offended by the use of the word vegan in that sentence but I am curious as to why it would be used. Best answer wins some Tofu 😉
    There would be little point having insults if they were not insulting/derogatory. Kids are far worse than adults and thankfully most adults [ and even some on STW] grow out of using these insults as they mature.

richmtb

How about “Fud”

Cougar

Can anyone enlighten me

Many playground insults seem to stem from “you’re different and that’s bad.” Gay, fat, black, handcapped, etc etc. “Cretin” was popular at my school, and that’s a thyroid disease if memory serves. Anyway. Not hard to see why “vegan” wouldn’t slip in there.

Perhaps you wouldn’t be so sensitive if you ate properly. Etc.

(-:

project
    Free Member

DrP – Member
    I got stick from a long lost relative in oz because I made a comment on facebook ‘ gears are for queers’. she went on about how her brother was gay etc… I apologised, but in reality the language changes so much that it want even remotely related to being a homosexual (as the original use of queer wasn’t either).

DrP

Posted 2 hours ago # Report-Post

I think youll find that the gay comunity now use the word queer to show a more anarchist type of gay person, as in Peter Tatchell, etc, theres also a pub in Manchester called Queer.It shows how you can manipulate a word of derision to mean something positive for a minority .

There was also the C4 series a few years ago called Queer as ****, that C4 wouldnt allow so it got called Queer as Folk.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Gayaids was popular at my school. ‘Are you wearing Lynx Musk? Bcoz It stinks like gayaids’

Everything back then was (or had) gayaids. If you had one of those WH Smith pencil cases that had times tables on the back and maths symbols on the front you instantly had gayaids and the same went if your football boots didn’t have screw in studs. Immature and cruel. Rem was popular too.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

There was also the C4 series a few years ago called Queer as ****, that C4 wouldnt allow so it got called Queer as Folk

Are you sure? I mean “queear as folks2 is part of a well known phrase, the other, less so

binners

Flod is the best insult. It’s a combination of the insults ‘flid’ and ‘spod’. Both of which were winners for starters.

Cougar

Are you sure? I mean “queear as folks2 is part of a well known phrase, the other, less so

Comes from “there’s nowt so queer as folk” shirley?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

i fought so

project
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

Comes from “there’s nowt so queer as folk” shirley?

Posted 10 minutes ago # Report-Post

from wikipedia.

Queer as Folk was produced by the Red Production Company for Channel 4. The title of the programme comes from a dialect expression from some parts of Northern England, “there’s nowt so queer as folk”, meaning “there’s nothing as strange as people”; which plays on the modern day English synonym of “queer”, meaning homosexual. Davies had originally titled the series this, although at the suggestion of Channel 4 executives for a period during its development and pre-production it was known as Queer as ****, before it reverted to the former name.[1]

Cougar

Hurray, everyone’s right! *group hug*

I wonder if the ‘working title’ was just a running gag on the set.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Better alternative to describing something as 'gay'.’ is closed to new replies.